renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rwanda Gkongoro
RockinJava9
I roasted the Rwanda yesterday, and the aroma, even at cooling, was of canned peaches. I was stunned! THe roast was to City, maybe City +, and I was expecting the "mandarin" or the "sweet and sour" that Tom had mentioned....

SO espresso had a similar nuance ... now I am a day rested, and getting ready to go back to the well... More later...

Have you tried this bean?
Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2 Grin s:2

RockinJava9
Rested two days, the brewed aroma also puts out a peachy aroma. Just a little less pronounced than when first roasted - but definitely there... Taste is a nice solid body traditional cup - but sprinkled with peach...

c:4H)c:4

seedlings
I had some Rwanda Ingoboka a couple of months ago and I was very suprised, as you were! However mine had a cinnimon-lemon-creme flavor. Very tasty. Yours sounds like a peach cobbler. Yum!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

lzsbearly
Glad to hear this was a good one. We have a pound coming in tonight. I'll have Burney roast it up tonight. sounds yummy
c:3
L'z

RockinJava9
let me know if you find peaches in the aroma, even as it is cooling!
Brett

lzsbearly
Will do, We'll rest it 2 days too, so Friday we'll let you know

L'z

virginiacoffee
I've been sipping this for a couple of weeks. I don't recall peaches, but it's nice. IIRC, I find more spice notes.

bvwelch
Man, I can't wait for my order to arrive... It is somewhere between the west coast and Alabama...

-bill

virginiacoffee
Chemex this morning - 44 grams and 32 oz of just off boiling water. So far, I like the Kinunu Bourbon better. Am I missing something? I don't have the ending temp in front of me, but I roasted it to a FC, 440-445 in a WBP1. Temp is estimate.

seedlings
I regularly hit first snaps of 2C by 425F with any origin, and my beans would be black and oily by 440F, but by the time the beans have expanded, past 1st crack, my thermocouple is buried halfway in the bean mass. If your temps are consistant, that's really more important. Like, if 2C always starts around 450, then you're ok. But, if the temp varies by 20 degrees each roast, you may need to play around with the thermometer placement. Do you use an analog or digital thermometer?

I've always wanted to find a P1 in a sale. So far all I ever find are the PIIs. I'm jealous! ;)

CHAD

virginiacoffee
My thermometer is above the bean mass, and usually doesn't hit the mass, so the mass temp is likely 10-20F lower. I don't plot my roast profiles, but IIRC, I usually hit first around 400 or so. I'll have to note on my next roasts.

virginiacoffee
Analog thermometer as well.

seedlings
Nuttin wrong with analog. It may help to get the tip down into the bean mass, though. But, if you're having fun and fully satisfied, why change anything?

CHAD

virginiacoffee
Think I found it this morning. Didn't find the peach, but a nice bitter chocolate taste with a fruit tone on the finish. Haven't yet identified the fruit.

This was rested just over a week, ground a bit finer than usual and, by accident, was left longer in the FP while fixing the children's breakfast. Nice!

lzsbearly
We finally had some this morning, sorry for the delay. It IS very peachy. Burney said it's kinda like peach tea.
L'z

bvwelch
I'm sad to report, that we did not like this coffee at all. It has been resting 4 days. Tasted like unsweetened lemonade, at best. Doubtless I did something wrong along the way.

-bill

virginiacoffee
bvwelch -

Do you recall your basic roast profile? That may be the source of the sourness.

bvwelch

virginiacoffee wrote:
bvwelch -

Do you recall your basic roast profile? That may be the source of the sourness.

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I have notes from that roast. I'm using the very nice chart that David did-- he posted it over on the thread about my breadmachine/heat gun experiences.

http://forum.home...ead_id=863

My heat gun has just two settings-- high and low. I'm using a setup like Stu's-- photos on the other thread.

Anyway, here is the profile-- I'll confess I still feel a bit out of control. My TC temps are way off for some reason, so I went by sight and smell.

I ran the heatgun on high for the first three minutes, then switched to low heat for the next five minutes, hoping to let the beans try out.

Then, at the eight minute mark, went back to high heat.

At twelve minutes into the roast, I heard a few pops, slowly. So, I switched back to low heat. At thirteen minutes (one minute later), I saw and smelled smoke.

I left the heat gun on low heat from twelve minutes, until I stopped the roast at fifteen minutes. I don't seem to have made any further notes.

I have a good-sized window "box" fan attached to a cardboard box with a collander built-in, so cool-down was fairly rapid -- perhaps two minutes, maybe three.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,

bill

seedlings
With the exact same heatgun and very similar setup... starting with everything cold - using high all the way - with 3 cups of beans - I'll regularly hit first crack about 8 minutes. 4 cups of beans - 10 minutes. On low heat all the way, first crack will start around 12 minutes with 3 cups of beans.

I have never roasted (with heatgun and breadmaker) when I couldn't hear the beans crack.

As far as thermocouple placement, drill a hole through the side of the removable breadmaker hopper somewhere between where the stirring paddle is closest to the edge and the corner, about 1 inch to 1.5 inches from the bottom. Stick just the tip of the TC into the hole so that it extends barely 1/4 inch into the bowl, then press it toward the side. This placement works great for me. Actually I have 2 holes, one close to the bottom for small batches and a second one up about 1.5 inches for the full kilo batch. You'll have to find a creative way to keep the TC in the hole, because it will want to fall out. Then the TC cord just goes over the rim of the breadmaker.

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
TC placement[901].gif

John Despres
OK, I just bought some of the Rwanda from Sweet Maria's. All this talk of Peaches and Mandarin oranges... Well, I had do it right now. I hope I like it - I bought 5 pounds...

As soon as I have something to report, I'll post here!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch
At one weeks rest now, still tastes terrible. I'm beginning to think I just under-roasted it somehow...

Yesterday I tried a long brew in the french press. Nope. Today I may try the Moka pot. Anything to try and get a stronger brew. It is more of a tea than a coffee to me.

bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
At one weeks rest now, still tastes terrible. I'm beginning to think I just under-roasted it somehow...

Yesterday I tried a long brew in the french press. Nope. Today I may try the Moka pot. Anything to try and get a stronger brew. It is more of a tea than a coffee to me.

bill

If you're not confident the beans made it all the way through first crack, they very well may be underroasted. The flip side is that you should have an extraordinary caffeine high!

CHAD

bvwelch
Yeah, even with the Moka Pot, the best I could do was a nasty "spice tea" sort of drink. Can't say that I noticed anything extraordinary as far as the caffeine. My eyes keep twitching though. :-)

bill

John Despres
I received my greens Thursday and roasted a half pound yesterday in the Junk Yard Tow Truck to City or maybe City +, just out of first. As is common for me, to fully understand a new coffee, I cupped it an hour later. Hokee Pete, man, this is weird coffee! Huge, and I mean HUGE citrus presence in the fragrance, and aroma. I was expecting something big, but this was wild. There wasn't any sweetness to speak of (or any noteable lack thereof) but it was orange, lemon, lime - all of 'em. In any event, I sure liked it, but am excited to try it again in an hour or so at 24 hour rest to see where it goes from there.

I didn't get any peach, though. Maybe today or tomorrow - here's hoping because peach will be a new coffee flavor for me. In my research on this coffee, I even checked this thread to see what Brett roasted it to, so I could experience the peach.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Jump to Forum: