bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 3670
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
air roaster
dja
yes to the smoker, I build it around 1994.

the first video was with me holding the top chamber that the beans are in with a peice of screen pushed into the air inlet. and me trying to control air flow by holding the VC Hose up to the bottom of the bean chamber.

the second video was with the roast and heat section together with the heating coil in place and me holding the VC hose to what was originally going to be the air inlet. (thats changed), I was trying to bring the air pressure up slowly as I knew the beans were going to jump. At about 75 volts on my Variac they lofted and you got to see the results.
if you look at the pic that I posted today, you will see what looks like three sections, the top is the removable roast section, the middle with the coil hanging out is the heat section, the hole is were the air was going to be connected.
I have to figure out what to do with the hole now, I will probably weld a flat round disk into it and somehow bring the leads for the coil out thru it, probably be a good idea to make it removable for work on the coil. Which I still haven't put juice to but will shortly if I don't run out of test beans.
the bottom peice that it is sitting on, is where the VC motor is going to reside.

Attached pic is of the air inlet, peice if 3/16" hardware cloth resides inside the recess, with a retainer ring helt in with set screws in from the sides.
dja attached the following image:
picture-0681.jpg

Edited by dja on 09/28/2010 20:28
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

freshbeans
Fantastic! The 'Oklahoma Coffee Canon' Beautiful!!

I've never used pyrex/glass. Any expansion issues between metal and glass ? -Scott

Dan
Glass, including borosilicate glass (trade name Pyrex), do expand at different enough rates than metal to be a problem. You'll want some sort of method to allow movement. Here are the thermal coefficients for roaster materials, they are (10−6/C):

Glass = 8.5
Borosilicate glass = 3.3
Stainless steel = 17.3
Steel = 12
Aluminum = 23

http://www.intactamerica.org
freshbeans
This is HRO....ask and recieve. Thanks Dan, How about ceramics/porcelain? -Scott

Dan
Porcelain, like what some ceramic insulators are made from, ranges from about 8-12 depending on the formula. Alumina (engineering ceramic) is 7.2.

dja
Mmmm, lets see a neoprene o-ring will take care of the expansion of the pyrex.

the problem with the leads to the heating coil is another problem which will be taken care of with a couple ceramic pass thru insulators.

dja
Just checking in since its been awhile since I posted anything on the uild. Been stuck in Balmy Sunny Florida for the last week.
Was able to with plenty of time to surf thru Evil Bay's pages, I found a replacement for the Pyrex Tube and was able to win the auction. Now I have a Spare incase I brake the one that I have. Be a real shame to break the one and only tube that I had after spending all this time a effort on the roaster.

dja
Just checking in since its been awhile since I posted anything on the uild. Been stuck in Balmy Sunny Florida for the last week.
Was able to with plenty of time to surf thru Evil Bay's pages, I found a replacement for the Pyrex Tube and was able to win the auction. Now I have a Spare incase I brake the one that I have. Be a real shame to break the one and only tube that I had after spending all this time a effort on the roaster.

seedlings
dja wrote:
in case I brake the one that I have.

HA! I've already knocked over my hopper with pyrex viewing glass... I'm sure it WILL break sometime, just not this time.

CHAD
Don't put the cart before the horse. Put the horse in the cart and listen to him say "weeeee" all the way down the hill.

dja
Chad,
you have to be careful, you might knock it over full of freshly roasted beans, and that would be a shame.
Your hopper only has a small flat glass on the one side of it, take another look at mine, the thing has a pyrex tube that is 14" long by 4" OD, not something that you can run to the local hardware store and pickup a Quartz yard light and use the lense in it for a replacement.
Hopeing to be back home next midweek and back to work on my roaster.

SteveN
Where did you get a pyrex tube? I looked all over the place and instead settled on regular glass (even then I had to cut the bottom off a vase).

dja
I found the first one at a thrift store close to where I live.
The second one I foiund on EBay, I did a search for pyrex tubes and found the same baking tube that I had originally found at the thrift store, and was luckly enough to find one that had a Buy Now price so I bought it incase I break the one that I have.

I would love to find a tube in the 5" OD range with a .250" wall for the strength.

Anyway it makes for and interesting show when the beans are circulating in it. You will have to post a video of your roaster when you get to where you can.

Dan
McMaster-Carr has borosilicate glass (Pyrex is a trade name) shapes including tubes.

Unta
5 and 6 inch boro tube is pricey. As long as things are properly gasketed and the glass is used in the RC. I dont think that boro/Pyrex is necessary. You can get wide diameter vases @ michaels craft stores, for 25 bucks. pretty easily cut on a wet tile saw with a diamond blade.
Unta attached the following image:
vasesertyuiopcompreesed.jpg

Edited by Unta on 10/11/2010 12:57
Sean Harrington
educate.

http://www.untacoffee.com
seedlings
Michaels also has glass 'tubes' you won't have to cut. Last I looked they were $8.99.

CHAD
Don't put the cart before the horse. Put the horse in the cart and listen to him say "weeeee" all the way down the hill.

dja
now Michaels just might be a source for a roast chamber of larger diameter. if they have glass tubes / Vases on the shelve ready for my to chop up and make into something totally differant then what they were originally designed for.

But I was lucky enough to find a buy now auction on Evil Bay for the same tube that I had, Pyrex Baking tube in original box 27.00 shipping included.

Now if I coulde just get my hindend out of florida so I could work on my roaster and other toys I'd be Grin.

I could use a 6" coleman lantern globe which is pyrex, the larger diameter would give me a larger roast chamber which means I could shorten it up dramaticly and use a larger air inlet if the setup I have doesn't work.

Options thats what we all need, lots of options when building one of these endless pits.

dja
wonder what the temp rating is on them vases, ya think they will take 500 degrees, hate like he"" to loose a load of the really good stuff to a broken tube.

Thanks for the information.
Edited by dja on 10/11/2010 15:25

Unta
you wont have a problem, my expirence on my machine has been with a walmart cookie jar that i cut the bottom off, that i use on the top of my RC. typically in contact wiht beans 40 percent of the time,12lb loads typically, so its quite a thermal mass rolling around in there. Just make sure you gasket it well and dont torque it down to much. I used some 1/2" braided woodstove gasket with mine and havent had a problem, with excption to some clumseyness.
sean
Edited by seedlings on 10/11/2010 17:25
Sean Harrington
educate.

http://www.untacoffee.com
dja
I would think that the cookie jar would be a tad thicker then one of the vases sold at Micheals, but I will try it if what I have doesn't make the roast so to speak.

Anyway I think that I have found a source for quartz glass tube in the 150 mm range, at a reasonable price of thirty bucks for a 59" long peice, but am going to have to see how that works out.

Also I'm not building this as a prototype of a roaster to sell, I started with a pyrex tube that I picked up at a thrift store a few years ago and has been knocking around the house ever since.
I have run how to build this thing thru my head many times trying to figure out how to build it. It wasn't untill I got off into the hobby machinist gig and bought several machines was I able to make the parts to put this thing together. It still has a ways to go, but seeing as how I am in florida at the moment the project will have to wait.
Edited by dja on 10/11/2010 17:35

SteveN
The glass vase I got at walmart was quite thick (thicker than a cookie jar that I had bought a month ago). I haven't measured but I would guess that it's maybe 6 or 7mm.

edit: it was $12...
Edited by SteveN on 10/12/2010 10:22

Jump to Forum: