Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hybrid Air Roaster
Brainiac
Been a while since I posted here - I have been enjoying my brand-new grand-daughter...

Anyhoo, here are a few pictures of my new “small” hybrid (hot air / drum) roaster. It will roast 300g green (1/2 pound roasted) in around 10 minutes, depending on bean variety.
Brainiac attached the following image:
air_obl[1091].jpg
Brainiac
The heat gun is an old 1400 watt B&D. The handle and switch have been removed so the gun can be easily mounted on aluminium struts.

The heat gun motor is now powered by a recycled ATX computer power supply (good for about 12 Amps at 12 Volts - $5). This means that the heating element is independent of the motor, and cooling is effected by switching off the 230 Volts and leaving the fan running and drum rotating.
air_8[1092].jpg
Brainiac
The stainless mesh drum is rotated by a 12 Volt electric-window actuator (also powered by the ATX supply). The end of the drum screws off for filling and emptying.

The spring assembly which locates and retains the rotating drum is from a rat trap! It presses on a hinge, which has a bearing hole to receive the dome nut on the end of the threaded rod which holds the drum together. Mounting and dismounting the drum is a breeze..
air_9[1093].jpg
Brainiac
Smoke'n'chaff go anywhere they want (I use this outside of course!!)

Comments?

Brian
air_side[1094].jpg
seedlings
Nice work Brain!
s:2 s:2
I love New Zealanders!

So, Brian, the fan runs on 12VDC, and the heat element is still 230VAC, right, and the same 12VDC also runs the wiper motor? Nicely done.
What's the RPM of the motor?
Was there a reason you didn't continue the bottom flashing pan up and around the top of the drum to keep chaff in?
Are there tines/fins inside the drum?
How do you load the beans in?

That's all I can ask for now. I really ask these things out of curiosity alone because your new roaster is fantastic just as it is.

Brilliant!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
farmroast
Brian
Sweet little roaster! s:2
Nice approach with the drum stand.
farm
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/
Brainiac
Chad, you are right: fan and drum motors are 12 Volts DC, the heater element is separately-controlled and runs at 230 Volts AC

The drum motor rotates at 66 RPM - rotation is up at the back, down at the front (CCW looking at the drive cog on the gearbox).

The reason I didn't continue the flashing is that I haven't got around to it yet..;)

Picture shows fins etc - also how the end screws off for loading/unloading beans
drum_open[1095].jpg
Brainiac
I got the 5mm stainless mesh (woven wire) in exchange for some roasted beans from a local filter manufacturer.

The stainless ends of the drum started life as jar lids.

The threaded rod is stainless, as are the rod joiner (long) nuts and washers.

The agitating fins were "petals" from a folding stainless steel vegetable steamer.
Edited by Brainiac on 10/07/2008 2:17 PM
John Despres
Thanks, Brian! You helped me solve a little nagging problem with your choice of vanes.

That's just about the coolest little roaster I've seen.s:2
Edited by John Despres on 10/08/2008 9:57 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
John Despres
Thanks, Brian! You helped me solve a little nagging problem with your choice of vanes.

That's just about the coolest little roaster I've seen.s:2
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Kaffee Bitte
Dang Brian!!! You make some killer roasters!!!!!!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."
Dan
Very nice. I seem to recall a European consumer roaster that worked like this, but much smaller capacity.
allenb
This one?
allenb attached the following image:
roestmeister-dieckmann.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Dan
That's the one!
allenb
Here's a video of the Roestmeister by Dieckmann

http://www.youtub...re=related
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
upsidedown
Brian,

Coolest little roaster I've ever seen. How did you attach the long nuts and washers to the lids?

Would be really cool if everything could be run from a 12V PS and transformer to take camping. Perfect size for "back to nature" enjoyment.

Bradley
Jump to Forum: