04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,223
Newest Member: Paul Kalb

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Making a vac pot gasket?
Island Addict
I picked up a vintage Nicro stainless steel vac pot on eBay a while ago in hopes of having a good, unbreakable brewer for camping and sailing. It looks great. I love the metal disc filter. The problem of course is the gasket. It does hold a seal, but it's horribly smelly, so much that it ruins the coffee.

I'm thinking about trying to make a new, improvised gasket by pouring RTV silicone into a mould around the stem of the brewing chamber.

Any ideas on whether it would work or how to do it? Is there an RTV silicone or other material that is easily pourable?
Rob

John Despres
Can't help with your current quest, but I've sailed Key West. It was Race Week, Jan 1990 as well as less formal trips.

I love the lower keys. Say hi to Mallory Square for me.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Kaffee Bitte
I would steer clear of pouring into the gasket grove to make a new gasket. There are other ways of doing this. Online retailers have gasket grade materials that you can cut to the proper size and fit yourself. You could also take precise measurements of the present gasket and try to find a premade food safe gasket to use.

I know over on Coffeegeek amd Homebarista there are many who have gone this route for espresso machines that are vintage and no longer have available gasket replacements. You might want to try a search on one of those forums to see if any links come up.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

seedlings
If your gasket holds a seal, there's gotta be something to clean it with... espresso machine cleaner? Oxyclean? Oven cleaner?

Soak it for a couple of days in a nice cleaning concoction... or boil it for a while...?

I for one think this is an occasion totally inappropriate for the F-word*.

I've never sailed.
CHAD

*Febreeze
Edited by seedlings on 10/22/2008 3:15 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
Ideally, you'd make a mold to pour the RTV into. You might be able to use your old gasket to make a mold from.

Just so you know, I've poured, oh, about 5,000 pounds of RTV over the past 30 years. More on point, I made a silicone rubber PF gasket for my E61 machine. It just turned 10 months old and is still working great. The standard rubber ones only hold for 6-8 months.

PS: My Mom had the Nicro 468 brewer when I was growing up. She swore by it.
Edited by Dan on 10/22/2008 6:25 PM

bvwelch
Dan,

Which RTV can you recommend these days? I'm a little unsure of the ones that my local hardware store and auto store sells, in terms of the food "safeness".

Thanks,

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 10/22/2008 11:02 PM

Island Addict
Thanks for the replies.

John, Mallory Square says "Hi" back to you and remembers your visit well. Who could forget?
;)

Chad, I've tried every cleaning chemical known to man including Oxy Clean and Urnex, but haven't tried Febreeze yet. I do appreciate floral aromas in my coffee, but that might be taking it a step too far.
c:2

I'm still learnng how to sail, and being too poor to have a boat of my own, I'm bartering coffee for lessons and boat time. That's why my coffee has to be good!
B)

The local Ace hardware store sells two food grade silicones:
http://www.acehar...age=family and http://www.acehar...age=family. Both are sold in caulk tubes and are rather thick and not very pourable. I wish there were something more pourable, but the two-part RTV silicones I've seen online for jewelry moulds don't look like they would be suitable. The Permatex products for automotive use don't look very food grade at all.
Rob

seedlings
Did you try boiling it?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

BoldJava
Narrow necked replacement gaskets are still available:

http://www.cb-mol...Gasket.cfm

B|Java

http://sidewalkmy...