Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 17

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
storing roasted coffee
dustyroads
roasted some nicaragua pacamara a few days, after about 4 days the flavor went dead, great for a few days than nothing. question, whats the best way to store fresh roasted coffee. dustyroads

opus
I go with airtight and dark. Then again, what do I know?

bvwelch
I find vacuum-bagging and then freezing works for me. But I divide into small enough bags, such that when I remove a bag from the freezer, I never re-freeze it.

-bill

Island Addict
Freezing works well for me. Bill is right about small portions. Don't re-freeze, and don't open a large container repeatedly. Divide the coffee into small portions before freezing and unfreeze only as you need it. For brewed coffee, I measure out one-pot portions into small bags. Even without vacuum bagging, this usually keeps coffee good for up to a month at normal home freezer temps. I think you can get longer storage time with vacuum bagging and/or colder freezer temps. Allow a couple of hours for thawing so any moisture in the container is re-absorbed into the beans.
Rob

seedlings
Question: Why would you roast so much that some needed freezing? I am constantly replenishing and always consuming coffee rested 2 to 7 days. I roast about every 5 days, then.

What is your procedure for freezing? Do you put a fresh roast into the freezer every time you take a frozen one out? In other words, does most of your coffee get frozen before consumption?

I keep 3 mason jars pretty full (burped each morning). Once I crack open the third jar, I roast again to replenish the other two.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

EddieDove
Normally, I roast every weekend and always have enough to last all week long. The coffee is stored in mason jars with degassing valves mounted in the lids and the jars are placed in the "coffee cabinet," which I think is a re-purposed jelly cabinet. One can use regular mason jar lids and just leave the lid a little loose to keep pressure from building up while the coffee is outgassing CO2. I like mason jars because they are readily available in inexpensive.

Right now, I have three 1-quart mason jars full of coffee in the freezer. This is an emergency stash for when I return from vacation or just don't feel like roasting one weekend and don't have to roast for customers, too. After the roast, I put the coffee in a mason jar with a degassing lid for about a day or two to allow the bulk of outgassing to occur. Then, I use the Foodsaver with the mason jar attachment to seal a lid to the jar, put the band on the jar, then store in the freezer. This will do a decent job of keeping the coffee in stasis to some extent until I need it. Coffee has been stored like this for months and produced a good cup when it was thawed.

I do prefer unadulterated fresh roast though ...
Edited by EddieDove on 11/14/2008 8:19 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

John Despres
I simply keep mine in a food safe plastic jar as they stack better than canning jars. I'm with Chad, too, since I keep about 5 jars at various stages of rest rest in the cupboard. I drink it too fast for freezing; sometimes 2 or 3 brews a day.

Dustyroads, you didn't mention how you stored it. Going bad in four days seems kind of soon to me. I rest some of mine for 2 weeks before it's ready for brewing, especially Yemens.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dustyroads
dustyroads: I stored the roasted coffee in mason jars. I have a theory, I am very new to roasting, purchased a FreshRoast to start, obviously you can't do a profile, turn it on, watch the coffee, cool it. maybe this does not allow for a extended flavor roast. any how I just ordered a Gene roaster from SweetMaria's. maybe someone might have an idea about this somewhat hair brained theory.

bvwelch
Chad,

I tried your approach, but just isn't practical for us. I roast when I can, but sometimes a couple weeks go by without roasting. When I do roast, I try to roast several pounds that day.

I use the cheap ziplock/vacuum bags. I'll take the roasted "pound" (green weight) and divide it into two bags. I use masking tape as a label with the date and other details.

I let them rest for 3 or 4 days at room temperature, and if I can't sell the extra, or give it away, I vacuum it one last time and put it in the chest-type deep freeze.

It works well for us. Don't knock it until you've tasted it for yourself. It is great. Just don't ever try to re-freeze it.

Try it-- it is a great feeling to know you've got plenty to enjoy, sell, or give away at a moment's notice.

-bill

seedlings
I'm certainly not nocking the freezer. Especially after reading:

http://sivetzcoff...gJan01.htm

I'm thinking about setting the frezzer in the garage down much colder and trying it out. I agree, Bill, it would be nice to have a pile on hand for emergencies. Thanks for the tip!

CHAD

bvwelch
Well, I've been listening to all of you guys talk about roasting more often, and also comments against vacuuming out the bags.

So I'm going to try roasting more often, in smaller amounts, and see how it compares. I'll continue to store in zip-lock bags, but skip the vacuum step.

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and techniques!

I've also been re-reading a paper by Schenker. He makes a good case that too much air in a fluid bed roaster can make coffee taste flat. Most of his paper is way over my head.

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 12/15/2008 11:57 PM

seedlings
I now have an emergency stash in the freezer. Thanks, Bill!

CHAD

Koffee Kosmo
The best method to store fresh roasted coffee beans is
One way valve bags

beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/Dynamic/ValveBag.jpg
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0