Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Green Coffee Vendors?
rff000
A year or so ago I started to buy green coffee from Bodhi leaf.

http://www.bodhil...een-coffee

I'm on their mailing list and just about every week I get a notice about a "special" sale--often around $3.75 per lb. If I order 5 lbs., the shipping is around $6, so I mostly wind up with around 5 pounds for $25, i.e. $5 per lb., including shipping. The "special" price coffees are often varieties I never heard of, but the regions are well-known. I've gotten Indonesian, Ethiopian, Colombian, etc. Some are just average, but once in a while I had some really excellent beans, like a natural unwashed Colombian that tastes nothing like the usual Colombian coffee.
You have to get on their mailing list to get the notice about the weekly specials. For some reason, I get two copies of the list, but I'm too lazy to call and ask them about it. Anyway, this may be useful to someone.
Edited by JackH on 01/18/2017 8:46 AM

kalousdm
I've been a big fan of Theta Ridge. Their prices are pretty good and they have a pretty wide selection.

And like many have state my favorite by far is Sweet Marias. Prices aren't all that bad. They by far have the most detailed cupping noes of anyone that I have come across. And their description of each selection is helpful as well.

rff000
I recently wrote a message about Bodhi Leaf weekly specials, that wind up costing me around $5 per lb., including shipping.

A week or so ago, I tried something different. I watched the Bodhi Leaf auctions on Ebay and saw that you can often get 5 lbs. of beans for a total cost of around $3-3.50, including shipping, if the bidding is not too active. I wound up buying 4 lots of 5 lb. bags, paying around $3.40 or so on average.

I'm now trying to figure out if the cheaper auctioned coffees are equal to or worse than the regularly sold coffee. My impression is that the auctioned coffee is not as good. The auctioned coffee tends to only have the region name, with no farm or plantation named. One or two of the varieties don't have much flavor when roasted shy of second crack, but I did manage to bring out some flavor by going a little past second crack. Well, I guess I'll use them mostly for blends. I don't think I'll go back to taking a chance on the auctioned coffee.

MPSAN
FYI...FEB3 will get you $3 off a $20 order at Happymug during February 2017.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

rff000
I just tried the last of my four Bodhi Leaf coffees, bought on Ebay auction, and it tasted like the best of the lot. It was Peru Chanchamayo and it might still be available. It was different from the others I bought in that the green beans had a very fruity aroma that carried through the roast (up to the first cracks of second crack). I didn't taste much flavor in the Huehuetenango I had.

So, it may be hit and miss in these auctions. Or, maybe I still have to figure out the best roast for all the regions I have. Beside the Guat and Peru, I also got two Costa Ricans, which I'd place in the middle in my rating. Anyway, I think the Peru Chanchamayo was well worth the price of around $3.30 I paid.

rff000 wrote:

I recently wrote a message about Bodhi Leaf weekly specials, that wind up costing me around $5 per lb., including shipping.

A week or so ago, I tried something different. I watched the Bodhi Leaf auctions on Ebay and saw that you can often get 5 lbs. of beans for a total cost of around $3-3.50, including shipping, if the bidding is not too active. I wound up buying 4 lots of 5 lb. bags, paying around $3.40 or so on average.

I'm now trying to figure out if the cheaper auctioned coffees are equal to or worse than the regularly sold coffee. My impression is that the auctioned coffee is not as good. The auctioned coffee tends to only have the region name, with no farm or plantation named. One or two of the varieties don't have much flavor when roasted shy of second crack, but I did manage to bring out some flavor by going a little past second crack. Well, I guess I'll use them mostly for blends. I don't think I'll go back to taking a chance on the auctioned coffee.

Scooter Dog
Thanks for the tip rff000!

I signed up for Bodhi Leaf's email list and sure enough received an e-mail about a special offer on a Costa Rica coffee for 3.95 per lb... I ordered 5 lbs and with $6.60 shipping, it came to 5.27 per lb.

Dan

Randy
Well I can tell you for sure who NOT to buy from...Homeroastcoffee.com. I went to order a Hottop roaster with my visa card and was told he does not accept visa because they screw him over. He went on to say my purchase was suspicious because I was from NY, didn't have my full name on my email address, didn't know my internet provider (optimum online) and when he did a search of my provider all he saw was scams associated with it.
This was the first place I ordered beans from...they were fine but compared to sweetmarias.com and happymug they are about a buck more per pound.
Very poor business ethics and they have seen the last of me...
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

renatoa
A sign to think more about HT acquisition :)

nescafe
I'm new to roasting. I bought a used Behmore 1600 Plus in early December. What I like about Sweet Maria's and the GCBC is they have cupping scores for each coffee. With a high score I have the confidence it is a good coffee I am getting. I also really appreciate Happy Mug's descriptions and their prices, but I wish they had cupping scores. Would Happy Mug's coffee usually cup in the high 80's? Am I putting too much emphasis on the cupping score? I am getting ready to try some Ethiopia from GCBC right now. Thanks!

renatoa
For Europeans, my favourite is Coffee Compass UK.

Got today half bag of Honduras Finca Los Lirios, heating the oven :)
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

ManCaveCoffee

MPSAN wrote:

I have not seen this posted, but HappyMug has a coupon good 'til August 9th. It is a discount on his large shipments of Central American Coffee that came in all at once. The Costa Rican looks great and I placed my order...

So Much Fresh Coffee!
take 5% off all unroasted Central American coffee between now and August 9th
coupon code: toomuch

It is before August 9 and he did not honor the coupon code. To me, this kinda sours things. Too bad--those Costas sounded good, and based solely on what I read at his site I liked this vendor's way of doing business.

It could be that that discount was aimed at his subscribers, and not the world at large, I dunno, but I did not complete my order there just the same.

I only just saw your post tonight, and never heard of this vendor; I wasn't just waiting until the last minute to test him, LOL
-Jon
1 Behmor, 1 Behmor+. I use neither because I got a propane 1 Kilo drum roaster this July, 2017. So after 6-7 years with the Behmor I am once again a newbie.
8 or more storebought ways to brew coffee; an unlimited # of field-expedient methods.

JackH
Hi Jon,

This post from the same member says it is for the month of July (2017) and 10% off.

https://forum.hom...ad_id=5355

The post you quote is from 2016:(see post #147)

https://forum.hom...wstart=140
Edited by JackH on 08/09/2017 4:38 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

snwcmpr

ManCaveCoffee wrote:

It is before August 9 and he did not honor the coupon code. To me, this kinda sours things.

Happy Mug has been a really good vendor in my history of purchases. And I just wanted to add that to this mistaken post.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ManCaveCoffee

JackH wrote:

Hi Jon,

The post you quote is from 2016:(see post #147)

https://forum.hom...wstart=140

You are so right! I could have sworn it was from July 2017 Shock
My sincerest apology for my bad.
That vendor looks a LOT better now! :grin:
-Jon
1 Behmor, 1 Behmor+. I use neither because I got a propane 1 Kilo drum roaster this July, 2017. So after 6-7 years with the Behmor I am once again a newbie.
8 or more storebought ways to brew coffee; an unlimited # of field-expedient methods.

JackH
Don't worry! I have done that myself.
So many posts here....

Give them another try sometime, they often have codes for discounts.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

MPSAN
I looked at my email and it said that this new coupon code was for the Month of July 2017.

ChicagoJohn

That vendor looks a LOT better now! :grin:

Ginny told me about Happy Mug at first and I've ordered from them many times. Lately I get three S.O. at a time, 3 lb each, and he fits that in a $7 USPS box; only $0.78 / lb shipping that way and quick shipping and delivery. I've yet to get anything from them I didn't think was top quality (not that I'm an expert, by any means, but I've ordered from other places and sometimes have been unable to get good results no matter how I roasted.) So Happy Mug has become my main source.
So many beans; so little time....

MPSAN
I use only HappyMug as well. I also like that he is not afraid to mention that a certain variety may have a few stones that he found. He also just reduced the shipping cost. I used to get 16lbs at a time (4 X 4 lbs each) and for the same shipping cost he can now send 20 lbs.

ChicagoJohn

MPSAN wrote:

I use only HappyMug as well. I also like that he is not afraid to mention that a certain variety may have a few stones that he found. He also just reduced the shipping cost. I used to get 16lbs at a time (4 X 4 lbs each) and for the same shipping cost he can now send 20 lbs.

I get 9 lb / $7. What is the rate now for 20 lb? I may start doing that instead. Earlier today ordered 3 lb each of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere, Kenya Wanjegi, and Ethiopia Yirgacheffe WOTE Konga Natural. Tried the Kochere before and loved it.
Edited by ChicagoJohn on 08/11/2017 5:48 PM
So many beans; so little time....

MPSAN
This was from my email...

...also check our newly tweaked shipping table. our high volume of shipments has allowed us to nudge down your shipping costs to the point that we can now ship 20 pounds of coffee anywhere in the USA for just $10.75.

scienmy
I like trying something new every time. This also applies to Coffee Vendors. My favourite is Coffee Bean Corral. But I would also love to try something from those proposed.

Ult1mat3X
Hey guys,

Glad to share this forum thread https://www.home-...56178.html where you see a very large database of green coffee sources! I hope everyone could found something tasty here coffee drink

green_foxry
Well, I think my first google search for green coffee beans came up Deans Beans.
I've been buying from that website since.
Good flavors and comments on how to roast and what can come out of it. I just need more experience in the roasting - as there's always room for improvement.
On my way to become a master roaster.

scienmy wrote:

I like trying something new every time. This also applies to Coffee Vendors. My favourite is Coffee Bean Corral. But I would also love to try something from those proposed.

I concur with the Corral. Good choices, good stuff, good prices, EXCELLENT service.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Neyxous
I ran across these guys and don't believe i saw them mentioned on this thread. Has anyone used them before?

https://homeroastcoffee.com/

Jump to Forum: