Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 29

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,050
Newest Member: TopherM
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Food-safe Filter Fix
EddieDove
The Swissgold filter sprung a small leak, right at the bottom. Any idea what I could use to fix that spot that would be food-safe and not taint the cup? :(
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/
John Despres
Mostly I have only smart-ass answeres like keep the Swiss employed, buy a new one or line it with a Chemex filter or shove a match stick in there and let it swell up to plug the hole...

s:8s:8s:8 I slay myself!

Now that I have that out of my system, how close is the hole to the frame? Is it just far enough away that a tiny stainless steel bolt/machine screw with a nut on the other side won't seal it up? Food safe AND dishwasher safe!
Edited by John Despres on 11/29/2008 1:40 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
EddieDove
My new Swissgold filter arrived today, smart ... s:5

The hole is adjacent to the plastic at the bottom; something like JB Weld might be perfect, but I don't know if it would be food safe or flavorful.

I am hoping to keep this as a backup / travel filter ... especially at $27.00 each!
Edited by EddieDove on 11/29/2008 1:58 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

John Despres
I wonder if you can warm the plastic enough to stretch and swell over the hole?

Isn't there a food safe silicone that can tolerate 200F liquids?
Edited by John Despres on 11/29/2008 2:14 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
dBndbit
I think you could just grind more coarsely. If the coffee particles are a little bigger than the hole, your problems are solved! Of course you should also increase the brew time to get the proper extraction. As a data point for reference, the calculated proper brew time for whole beans is 73.56 hours. Then you don't need to grind at all!

(We should save this stuff for April 1.)
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade
dustyroads
I think you can use a small soldering iron or heat a nail and carefully push a bit of plastic over the hole. I've done some plastic repairs using a soldering iron. c:1
EddieDove
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. The hole is actually in the gold foil itself.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

John Despres
My idea along with that of dustyroads is to use a soldering iron to spread the plastic to the hole.

But that has given me a new idea - perhaps you know a jeweler who can solder it shut with a bit of gold.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
BoldJava

EddieDove wrote:
My new Swissgold filter arrived today, smart ... s:5...

I am hoping to keep this as a backup / travel filter ... especially at $27.00 each!

Not in response to Eddie's question, but I find the Bodum gold filter superior to the Swissgold (have them both] . Bodum has a nice edged lip to it that makes handling it a breeze when hot. It fits beautifully into my 40-oz Chemex.

Priced nicely at $14.95

http://BodumGoldF...otlong.com
B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 11/30/2008 8:09 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI
seedlings
Just get some silver solder (or just make sure there's no lead in it) and ... if you're careful (we know that you are) get your soldering iron out and solder the gold. Works on electronics.

If I had a broken $27 gold filter, I'd darn sure fix it, and this is how I'd do it.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/30/2008 4:20 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
EddieDove

seedlings wrote:
Just get some silver solder (or just make sure there's no lead in it) and ... if you're careful (we know that you are) get your soldering iron out and solder the gold. Works on electronics.

That's perfect; perhaps I will finally have a use for my Cold Heat soldering iron. I have never used the silver solder before, but when I return from out of town, I will look for some.

BoldJava wrote:Not in response to Eddie's question, but I find the Bodum gold filter superior to the Swissgold (have them both] . Bodum has a nice edged lip to it that makes handling it a breeze when hot. It fits beautifully into my 40-oz Chemex.

Priced nicely at $14.95

http://BodumGoldF...otlong.com
B|Java

I do have one of those that I got with Bodum Brewer and have used it with the Chemex too. I don't recall it fitting properly in the Technivorm though. Again, when I get back from out of town ...
Edited by EddieDove on 11/30/2008 8:02 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

John Despres
Of course, silver solder... I use it and never thought of it.

Eddie, It an get pretty expensive for the minimum you have to buy.

Don't spend any money. There's some on the way from Michigan.

Respect the bean.
John Despres
EddieDove
Thanks Bro! Grin
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Jump to Forum: