Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Brewing Method!
seedlings
I say a Manual Pourover with a swissgold filter is the best brewing method. I say this because I have complete control over the temperature of the water and the amount of time the grounds contact the water.... total control. (With the exception of espresso brewing, of course.)

What say you?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/31/2008 3:03 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
No question pourover is a great method of making your coffee.

How do you have complete control over the temperature of the water?

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8 ciz I need too

John Despres
I don't think I have a best brewing method in the same way I don't have a best coffee. Lately, I've been using my Technivorm as the principle brew method, but I find I'm missing my French Press as well as vacuum brewing and Chemex. If there is a best, the Technivorm is best as it allows me to step away for a few minutes and do something else. As to which produces the best brew? They all do depending on what I may want in my cup at that moment.

Right now, I think I'll have an espresso.

Tomorrow morning, I'm planning on a date with my old friend the French Press for the start of the new year.

That is all.
Edited by John Despres on 12/31/2008 3:22 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

ginny wrote:
No question pourover is a great method of making your coffee.

How do you have complete control over the temperature of the water?

Thermometer.

I heat the water in a tea kettle up to whatever temperature I like, say, 204F, then pour it over the coffee, but another coffee might taste better at 194F. It depends. Same with a Chemex. Can't do that in a Technivorm or a Vac pot, now can ya! ;)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/31/2008 3:26 PM

opus
I'm thinking coffee boiler or french press. Have you ever thought you may be over "technicalizing" something meant to be so simple? :)

There....chew on that.

seedlings

opus wrote:
I'm thinking coffee boiler or french press. Have you ever thought you may be over "technicalizing" something meant to be so simple? :)

There....chew on that.

Of course! Just like we over-techno everything. However, you must admit that there are brewing methods that taste better than others. Press = better than Black-N-Decker? I roasted a Sumatra and took over to my brothers for Christmas last year. We ground and brewed it in his pot and it was sooo sour, tasted wretched, and it wasn't the paper filter nor the city water (same city), it was the brew temperature being too low. The machine compensates for this by overheating the coffee post-brew. Bad idea too.

Guys, this is for fun (whole site is). I was being facetious. Give a go at your favorite method, and say why. We're not at war, we're conversating over a cuppa joe. B)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/31/2008 4:09 PM

BoldJava

seedlings wrote:
I say a Manual Pourover with a swissgold filter is the best brewing method. I say this because I have complete control over the temperature of the water and the amount of time the grounds contact the water.... total control. (With the exception of espresso brewing, of course.)

What say you?

CHAD

I say:

"Have you ever had a vacpot?" If so, then you know best for you. If you haven't, I would encourage you to visit a friend who has one but beware, once you have a cup, I think your view may change.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

dBndbit
You're all wrong. The best brewing method is whatever you do to the beans on a cold morning at a camp site. Think: Aaaahhhh.......

For me that's a rubber band, a round paper basket filter, and my big plastic insulated mug. Is that under-tech?
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

BoldJava
Best Brewing Method? Vacpot, hands-down.

My pourover is good. Chemex with Bodum gold filter.
http://xrl.us/Bod... (Link to www.bodumusa.com). Never have to buy another filter. Don't like the paper taste of Chemex filters.

Chemex cup: Very clean cup though with just a hint of fine silt, depending upon your grinder (I grind jst a skosh finer than standard drip pot.. Simple to prepare with a boil, wait 30 seconds, saturate grinds, wait, then pour remainder. Done. Good temp/extraction time control.

Yama (or Bodum/Cona). Vacpots have become my favorite preparation. For me, no other prep showcases the individual strengths and characteristics (or weaknesses) the way a vacpot does. Some
coffees (PNGs, Vienna roast levels) don't do so well in it for my palate. With PNGs, it showcases too much of the characteristics, just as roast profiling characteristics become too pronounced at the Vienna and darker roast levels for my tastes in a vacpot.

I can control differing temps via long practice and simple thermometer sitting in pot. Rarely find a need for the thermometer now. Extraction time? Simple, set the kitchen timer on the microwave.

For me, it is about the cup, and it is a Yama, hands down. You will, however, get an excellent cup with the Chemex and Bodum gold if you don't like to putz with the vacpot. Personally, I am looking for ways to slow down rather than speed up my life. The Yama fills the bill.

Taste is subjective and I trust we will each reach different conclusions. We are all right.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 12/31/2008 5:11 PM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

cfsheridan
What BoldJava said. Toyed with press, airpot drip, pourover drip, and consistently, time after time, the vac pot wins, hands down. There have been occasional cups that fared better in a press pot, but I can count those on one hand.

Dan
I've tried them all with the one exception of a moka pot (but I have used the similar vacpot) and my favorite brewer for a cup of coffee is my E61 espresso machine to make Americanos. The machine extracts flavors that all the steeping methods fail to deliver into the cup.

Dan

BoldJava

Dan wrote:
... and my favorite brewer for a cup of coffee is my E61 espresso machine to make Americanos. The machine extracts flavors that all the steeping methods fail to deliver into the cup.

Dan

What ratio espresso/water do you use, about a 2/5? I will try one from the Silvia this weekend.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Dan
I pour a double shot of espresso using about 18 grams of coffee. The double shot is 3 ounces. Then I fill the mug with hot water, about 6 ounces. The strength is about the same as European brewed coffee.

seedlings
I've had vac-pot served via the Bodum Santos 6 cup electric at a friends house, but I haven't tried a Yama... You may be hearing from me B|J.

I always thought that the temperature of the water going up to the grounds in a vac pot was pretty much at boiling. Isn't that too hot, or have I imagined the facts different than reality?

CHAD

BoldJava

seedlings wrote:
I've had vac-pot served via the Bodum Santos 6 cup electric at a friends house, but I haven't tried a Yama... You may be hearing from me B|J.

I always thought that the temperature of the water going up to the grounds in a vac pot was pretty much at boiling. Isn't that too hot, or have I imagined the facts different than reality?

CHAD

I have a shipment coming from the left coast by Tuesday <?> and a second one by Friday week. Plenty on hand.

RE: Bodum vs. Yama. I haven't had the Bodum but others that have bought the Yama indicate it is superior.

http://xrl.us/Ste...amaVsBodum (Link to www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com)

RE: Boiling. Nope, no boiling but rather bubbles are indicative of air leaving and vacuum forming. A thermometer verifies the temp between 180-198, depending on how high you are operating. I usually use about 196 <?> give or take.

B|Yama
Edited by BoldJava on 01/01/2009 11:48 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Koffee Kosmo
I like 2 brewing methods and equal favourites

The first is probably the first method used to brew & drink way back when?
Greek/Turkish coffee made in a Briki

and Espresso on my Bezzera Galatea Domus (home roasted coffee of course)

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

David

seedlings wrote:I always thought that the temperature of the water going up to the grounds in a vac pot was pretty much at boiling.

I once thought so also. But, it turns out the the water doesn't "boil" up, it just expands in a closed chamber. This pushes the hot water up through the funnel and by the filter. Each time I measured it, the water temp turned out to be in the mid-190's.

The bigger question for me was how long to leave it on the heat, gurgling up, before letting it cool. That controlled the extraction time, of course, but it wasn't an easy guess.

Vac pot is my favorite for most beans, but I use the press pot on a daily basis.
It's so much simpler to brew and to clean. B)
Edited by David on 01/03/2009 11:36 AM

mecompco
My Technivorm with a SwissGold filter makes a pretty good cup, I think--better than the Bunn I used to use.

DaveG
I give the vote to the Yama Vac Pot and that's with all the fuss involved with cleanup and everything else. To my taste there is no comparison and that includes the vaunted French Press method.
I don't have experience with some of the other methods mentioned here, but for the price anyone can try the Yama and see what we're raving about. Enjoy!

Jump to Forum: