11/21/2021 1:56 AM
Welcome, pimaCanyon and Chris Porter!

11/18/2021 3:29 AM
locotoro, ionpau and gougege, welcome cup

11/16/2021 12:53 AM
RidgevilleRoaster OH, _lg3, Yirgaman, Houncer and AgressivStreetLamp
welcome !

11/15/2021 9:57 AM
Welcome, jasper_8137, goldyy9 and Evermancg !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 18

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,359
Newest Member: JackedUp

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cast Iron Coffee Co.
lowmanpt
Just some photos of my father and I's Cast Iron Coffee Co. A visual on what we like to do.

http://picasaweb....nCoffeeCo#

seedlings
So, is this a Pete & Pete operation? Perhaps I'm confused.

Great pics, though. Looking at that coffee reminds me of the one time I went to a hog roast when I was 10 years old. I was terribly frightened of the scary offering! But whoa did it taste forever good! I still don't think I'll ever have pulled pork like that.

You're selling an experience. I love that.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/26/2009 7:46 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Koffee Kosmo
My grandmother and myself have roasted in this fashion for as long as I can remember
Works well

Good to see it back again
KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

opus

seedlings wrote:
So, is this a Pete & Pete operation?

That would be correct. I am the money, the brains, the experience...and PT is....well....[sigh], the youth and ambition.

Perhaps I'm confused.

Thats a pretty wide open door there, buddy. ;)

qajariaq
Looks similar to my current set-up, uneven roast, etc. ThumbsUp

I see in one photo that you are using an IR non-touch thermometer. Do you prefer it to the thermocouple probe thermometers? I need a reliable way to measure temp and have thought the non-touch type might be a good way to go...

seedlings

Koffee Kosmo wrote:
My grandmother and myself have roasted in this fashion for as long as I can remember
Works well

Good to see it back again
KK

Old man Pete wakes up early. Low man Pete runs faster. Who gets the Ethiopian at the mail box first?;)

Nice job, guys.

CHAD

opus

qajariaq wrote:
Looks similar to my current set-up, uneven roast, etc. ThumbsUp

I see in one photo that you are using an IR non-touch thermometer. Do you prefer it to the thermocouple probe thermometers? I need a reliable way to measure temp and have thought the non-touch type might be a good way to go...

In my opinion, if you are going to roast like this, you will most always get an uneven roast. I actually think the uneven roast is a plus. Somehow it balances out to a very nice, full roast.

I use that thermometer just to get a rough idea when its ready to start. Anymore now, I go by ear and sight once its started roasting. How many years did people roast coffee without anything technical. As I say, I dont see why we have to make somethings so technical. Then again, I know a lot of you like that aspect of it. In the end, I think my roasts will compete with yours. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside....ha.

Chad: My mailbox is 120 miles from the kids. I'm safe at this point. :)

bvwelch
Opus,

Thanks for sharing your cast iron roasting and your insights!

I think you're right-- all this technology isn't really required.

When I first started roasting, I immediately built my own PID controller because, well, I am geek. But after awhile, I realized that I should not be trying to automate a 'profile', that I didn't really understand how to do manually. :-)

So, I put away the PID, and I've been focusing on learning to 'profile' manually. I still haven't broken myself from the temp sensor though. :-)

But as the weather gets warmer, I do want to try some cast iron roasting!

-bill

qajariaq

opus wrote:

In my opinion, if you are going to roast like this, you will most always get an uneven roast. I actually think the uneven roast is a plus. Somehow it balances out to a very nice, full roast.

I use that thermometer just to get a rough idea when its ready to start. Anymore now, I go by ear and sight once its started roasting. How many years did people roast coffee without anything technical. As I say, I dont see why we have to make somethings so technical. Then again, I know a lot of you like that aspect of it. In the end, I think my roasts will compete with yours. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside....ha.

I agree on the uneven roasts - tastes great, and I don't think I can really avoid it (or would want to). I'm looking for a way to measure temp just so I can understand the progression of the roast a bit better and learn to control it somewhat. Then again, maybe control of the roast isn't what I really want: the most even roast I achieved with the "cast iron" method lacked a lot of body compared to the many "botched" roasts that were out of control, producing wildly uneven and a bit burned results (yet among the best tasting coffee I've ever had). Shock
Edited by qajariaq on 01/27/2009 1:20 PM

lowmanpt
Behind the scenes I give Dad an up-to-date idea of what's going on in the world. Ha! That's my job in this band of misfits.......after all, he named me after himself, Pete. Probably forgot there were more names out there than Pete Grin

opus

qajariaq wrote:

I agree on the uneven roasts - tastes great, and I don't think I can really avoid it (or would want to). I'm looking for a way to measure temp just so I can understand the progression of the roast a bit better and learn to control it somewhat. Then again, maybe control of the roast isn't what I really want: the most even roast I achieved with the "cast iron" method lacked a lot of body compared to the many "botched" roasts that were out of control, producing wildly uneven and a bit burned results (yet among the best tasting coffee I've ever had). Shock

This is a VERY rough guide to how I use the thermometer. Keep in mind, yesterday was -12, so it took just a little longer. The stove I am using is something like 160K BTU's so it never really takes long. :)

It seems I get the middle of the pan to about 550, and the outsides seem to be 400. This is when I put the beans on. When its not so cold, I try to get the pan to a pretty even temp all around. Cold beans drop the temp, obviously. I keep track of the bean temps...well....just because I am there and I am bored. I like to get them to the upper 375-390 range. When I get to my first crack I really pay attention. I will tend to lower the fire once I get there. Also, about 3 mins before I am done, I shut the fire so I can slowly climb to the roast I want.

I should pay a little more attention so I can relay it a little more precise. I did 2# at a whack yesterday. I want to do a little bigger in the future. I am working on having something put together that will accommodate a larger roast.

[edit] Here's a video I just took grinding 3#'s this afternoon.

[video]<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-4719654463435919656&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>[/video]
Edited by opus on 01/27/2009 5:01 PM

qajariaq
Thanks for the info on temps!

The problem I am having is being able to slow things down after first crack and know how fast the roast is progressing. I have trouble determining when to dial the heat back and let it 'coast' to the end. More time behind the wooden spoon might help as well! lol!
Edited by qajariaq on 01/28/2009 7:56 AM

seedlings

qajariaq wrote:

The problem I am having is being able to slow things down after first crack and know how fast the roast is progressing. I have trouble determining when to dial the heat back and let it 'coast' to the end. More time behind the wooden spoon might help as well! lol!

If first crack starts sudden and gets rapid quickly, the temp is probably too high. If it starts really slow, with time between pops, up the temp a little.

CHAD

Koffee Kosmo

qajariaq wrote:

GDay qajaiaq

1) Using a whisk works better than a wooden spoon
2) Using a tall sided pot works better than a flat pan as the bean mass retains heat better (because the beans are a in more compact mass)
3) Smaller batches are easier to control 300-400 grams is good

When in doubt with judging heat it is better to lift the pan off the heat momentarily than it is to adjust the flame

What I do also at the yellow stage of the beans and the husks are coming off
I use a hair dryer to blow away the chaff as it gives one a cleaner roast as you approach the end

Here is a picture of a pan roast I did a short time ago

KK
Koffee Kosmo attached the following image:
img_panroast.jpg

Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 01/28/2009 5:26 PM

seedlings
Roast looks great! Love the yellow pan.

<grins>

CHAD

Koffee Kosmo

seedlings wrote:

<grins>

CHAD

Thats the cooling colander Chad

KK

seedlings

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

seedlings wrote:

<grins>

CHAD

Thats the cooling colander Chad

KK

I'm just giving you a hard time, KK ;) Nice job.

CHAD

qajariaq

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

GDay qajaiaq

1) Using a whisk works better than a wooden spoon
2) Using a tall sided pot works better than a flat pan as the bean mass retains heat better (because the beans are a in more compact mass)
3) Smaller batches are easier to control 300-400 grams is good

When in doubt with judging heat it is better to lift the pan off the heat momentarily than it is to adjust the flame

What I do also at the yellow stage of the beans and the husks are coming off
I use a hair dryer to blow away the chaff as it gives one a cleaner roast as you approach the end

Here is a picture of a pan roast I did a short time ago

KK

Thanks for the tips! :BowDown:

I'm already using a deep pot vs. the skillet, but I'll have to try a wisk and a hair dryer (or blower, maybe?) to remove the chaff. Blowing the chaff off before it burns sounds quite nice! I've done as much as 2 lbs (~900 grams) at once, but that was hard on the stirring arm! 1 lb (~450 grams) works much better from my limited experience.

lowmanpt
On the same photo page I posted earlier, the last three photos are of a medium Ethiopian roast. Had heard some talk of it so here is a photo for the fun of it.

http://picasaweb....nCoffeeCo#
Edited by seedlings on 02/01/2009 9:19 PM

seedlings
Hey, Petes... what kind of regulations/inspections do you need up there in the tundra to sell coffee? Down here it's like playing Twister - by the actual rules included in the Twiste game box.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/02/2009 8:54 AM

Jump to Forum: