renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mysterious Bean Button???
dBndbit
In the midst of all the fun we're having with coffee, I have a serious question...

What the heck are the little bean buttons I find after roasting? {see photo below} In (most) every container of my roasted beans I find these little dots. They're consistently round and relatively flat. I've never seen them mentioned in any botanical description of coffee beans. Where do these things come from?

More importantly, should I save them up and make a cup of coffee from them? Would it be the best coffee I ever had? Better botanical anomaly than peaberries?
dBndbit attached the following image:
beandots4b.jpg

Edited by dBndbit on 02/25/2009 8:09 PM
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

BoldJava
Jim, divots, I believe most call them:

http://coffeegeek...ast/150050

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 02/26/2009 5:24 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

bvwelch
I can't tell if you guys are having a joke or serious. My thinking is, this is not desirable, and warrants taking a little more time at the 300 deg F, to allow the beans to dry out more before heading on up towards first crack.

But who knows, maybe my 60 second pause at/around 300F is a bad idea?
-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/25/2009 8:28 PM

BoldJava
Serious.

I put <grins> after obscure, attempted jokes.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

bvwelch
OK, then my other thought is maybe divots happen when going from 1st into 2nd too quickly?
-bill

BoldJava
See Jim Schulman's comments in the thread I posted.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Ray T
UM I think there Baen droppings :|

BoldJava
Welcome Ray. Glad you joined in.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

bvwelch

BoldJava wrote:
See Jim Schulman's comments in the thread I posted.

B|Java

Thanks for your patience, BJ -- I didn't realize there was a page 1 to go back to on that link, so the first time I clicked, I didn't get much out of the discussion.
-bill

BoldJava
Bill, I fixed the URL to begin on page 1. Mysteriously, that link with page 2 took me to page 1. It must be that I have my CG set for more posts per page.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

bvwelch
So, it sounds like the divots are no big deal then? Just grind them up and enjoy?
-bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
So, it sounds like the divots are no big deal then? Just grind them up and enjoy?
-bill

Not a big deal for us home-roaster, home-consumers. I bet that customers buying roasted beans might prefer not to have the divots. I used to get them often, but it seems they show up less and less the more dilligent I am with "profiles". Or, said another way, when I pay close attention to time, temp and smells.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte
I used to get lots of divots when I was air roasting. It makes sense since most air roasts head to temp quickly. In my drum I only ever see them when I have headed close to French. There is no reason at all to worry about them unless you have half as many of them as you do beans. At that point they should be taken as a sign to slow that roast down. A few here and there are no big whoop. If you have control of your temps you could extend your drying stage a bit longer and then ramp it from there.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

dBndbit
Thanks all! The Geek link was good, BJ. I just didn't pick the right words to search on. Divots?... Roast slower. I'll try dropping the temp a little.

Thanks most much, Ray. You at least offered the most biological explanation, and I think you're correct. Bean scat! You've saved me from following the advice of Poison on the earlier Geek thread <http://www.coffee...745#108745>, suggesting a long list of preventative measures starting with a whole-body shave.

Unfortunately I didn't read your post until several minutes after I had already followed BJ's links. But I did stop the procedure at the point where I had only shaved everything I could reach with my right hand.

Bill, around us you got to always watch out for subtle humor.
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com

John Despres

dBndbit wrote:But I did stop the procedure at the point where I had only shaved everything I could reach with my right hand.

Bill, around us you got to always watch out for subtle humor.

Yeah.... I'm cleaning up the coffee I spit on the desk reading this...

Too FUNNY! Thanks for the laugh Jim.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch
Same here John, the least a fellow could do is to say:

SPEW ALERT!

before he starts into his routine. :-)
-bill

John Despres
Unless of course Jim was serious and wasn't trying to be funny...

;)
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Oh, as to humor, Ray hit one out of the park with his first post... Welcome, Ray.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

RockinJava9
I find divots when I roast in a hot air popper. I don't get them in my Behmor, or in my skillet. I cannot say for the BBQ, as they would fall in the fire and be lost - who can say?

My understanding is the divots come from intense heat on a bean, enough for the immediate expansion to pop out a perfectly round mini-bean-chunk...

two cents...
Brett
Brett Mason
balancing faith and family
over a cup of homeroast glory!

ginny
Actually they look like roasted pack rat turds!!

and frankly, looking at your avatar one might ask?

you store your coffee where?

ginny

Roflmao

john is right this is funny!!!Grin
Edited by ginny on 02/27/2009 2:55 PM

dBndbit
Ginny?!?!? Are you insulting my hat or my beard? Careful, I'm mighty partial to both.

And how I store my coffee is a secret. But let's just say I figured if Kopi Luwak beans was worth so much going through a little bitty civet cat, why not kick up the production with bigger critters? Of course the cow was my first choice. But she just wanted to chew too much which ruined the beans, though her milk did pass for a respectable latte. The mule, however, just swallows the beans right down. I already made enough money from him that I painted the whole entire barn! I call it Kopi Francis.

Nobody else read this next comment but Ginny!
(((I just checked and you're right. The bean divots do look just like packrat turds! But I have to ask, how did you know?)))

My humor comes strictly from the 5th-grade playground.

:up-late::yuck:Roflmao
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com

ginny
Hey your a year beyond me guy. My humor is from the 4th grade playground!!

But I have to ask, how did you know?

Since you ask:

I brought my older brother here to the mountains along with his 1965 GMC 1/4 Ton
Step Side...

The truck had been sitting for some time and when I opened the hood to check
life under it I had to use a 31 grain, 22 LR Shotshell to remove the tenants!!

ginny

still Roflmao from your great commentary!!

dBndbit
Mighty fine shootin, ma'am. I appreciate what it takes to use a small caliber on a varmint, even with pepper shot. My dad's hobby was shooting rats from our back window with his long-barrel 22. And my first explosive weapon was a short-barrel 22 for my 9th birthday. We generally used the BB caps or shorts. I never shot from a window, preferred walking through the woods hunting dinner-critters and unfriendly snakes. A 22 is a whole lot cheaper to load than a shotgun.

Wow, this thread has really digressed. Time to move on!

Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com

Jump to Forum: