Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,043
Newest Member: tigertictac
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roasting Chemistry
John Despres
I recently ordered every back issue of Roast Magazine with articles of interest to me. What that amounts to is practically every issue except the year end issues which has more to do with their roaster of the year competition than anything else.

In any event, since there's little work for me at the moment I'm getting some reading done these days.

In the March/April 2005 issue there's a wonderful article entitled
"Alchemy in the Roasting Lab" (part 1 of 2) by Joseph A. Rivera. The following issue has part 2.

Unfortunately, the article is not available on line so I recommend anyone interested go to http://www.roastm...index.html, check out the back issues and order these copies. They are only $5.00 (shipping included) per issue.

I'm not a chemist so understanding it all is somewhat difficult, but it is very informative.

Any other roasting chemistry enthusiasts out there?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
I'm enthusiastic about learning more coffee chemistry. Quite a bit is available on www.coffeechemist... but it is a little bit like legalspeak, meaning it's not easy reading for a non-chemist. (I did learn from a nutritionist on Brett's radio show that coffee is THE #1 source of antioxidants for most people. She said it has antioxidants we don't even understand yet.)

However, like many things new to me, the more I read, the more familiar the words and their meanings become.

Keep your mad scientist hat on, John!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
qajariaq

John Despres wrote:
I recently ordered every back issue of Roast Magazine with articles of interest to me.

Unfortunately, the article is not available on line so I recommend anyone interested go to http://www.roastm...index.html, check out the back issues and order these copies. They are only $5.00 (shipping included) per issue.

John

I see several different prices on their website - $5 including shipping, $7 including shipping, $7 plus shipping... Did they honor the lower price?
cup_in_hand
www.coffeechemist... is the website of Joseph A. Rivera. He is the food chemist for the SCAA, and the "Alchemy in the Roasting Lab" article part 1, and 2 are available for free in the library section of his website. other articles he's written are also available.
Edited by seedlings on 03/10/2009 8:22 AM
Anton
A life without coffee is a life not worth living.
John Despres
Good question, qajariaq. I'll have to dig out the invoice since I don't remember. It was about 8 months ago...

Anton, now that's interesting! I googled Rivera and absolutely nothing turned up. I enjoy coffeechemistry.com but somehow did not make the connection. Thanks!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
qajariaq
They may well have changed the pricing since that time and failed to update all of their pages.......
Jump to Forum: