renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
John Despres
Welcome, Ron.

Let us know how your new roaster turns out. There are many here who could benefit from your work.

Thanks for posting and have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jlyon10
I have been watching total members because it was getting close to 1k but I missed it. Cool we are over 1,000 strong now.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

John Despres
Yeah, Jim, it lasted about 6 hours at an even 1000. It's great, isn't it? Just this past spring we were waiting for #666 to fill out... I think I was roughly in the mid 200s two years ago when I joined... Don't remember, though.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

milknmycoffee
John - Thanks for posting the pictures of your childhood horses. I especially loved the one of you trying to reach that stirrup. I can really really to that one. As a kid, I always seemed to get stuck with some 16 hand horse...and I was a shrimp! Come to think of it, I am still a shrimp but now I am riding 15 hand Arabians which makes getting on much easier....

I understand how hard it is to find time to ride as an adult...but it sounds like you are busy with all sorts of wonderful things. Besides from what I hear, children provide plenty of fun and love.

Thanks again for posting the pix. I will have to see if my mom has any childhood photos of me riding...knowing her she will have something horribly embarrassing...).

John Despres
The embarrassing pictures of me began early and continue to this day. But mostly it's me just hamming for the camera.

No, I won't post 'em here...

I got a lot of fun out of the way before I settled down a little later in life, so I'm very happy staying with the family. Now if a film comes along with horses, this Art Director will definitely be on horseback.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

tangent011
Hello all,
I am new to roasting. so sorry in advance for all the dumb questions I most likely will ask :) I have been roasting well about 12 hours now i did my first batch today with a popcorn popper modified and then modified more and more as i went I think it is good now, but I am going to make a new roaster out of a toaster oven well I am going to try. I got lucky and have a good roaster retailer in the city www.javamania.com if your intrested very nice coffee and good people recently found i have a connection in columbia for coffee beans which I will exploit as soon as i can

John Despres
Welcome, Tangent!

Post all the questions you like here. There are no dumb questions when it comes to roasting. It can be a very difficult process and we are all willing to help.

Roast on and post often!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

SteveN
I just joined to post something over in 'name that burner'.... I figure I should introduce myself. I've been roasting about a year, first in a popper and now in a modified toaster oven (~300g batch). I owe a lot to this forum in my lurking period for the design of that toaster oven. If I had discovered this earlier it may have saved me even more headaches.

I'm currently in the planning stages of a new build for a 1kg electric drum roaster. I'll likely be following some of the recent threads closely and may start my own soon when I get some designs done.

As far as actually drinking the coffee... I enjoy both the bold flavours (you guys allow Canadians, right?) of the African coffees and the syrupy goodness of the Indonesians. I drink mostly drip but I'd like to get myself an aeropress for the ease of making a single cup.

And thanks to seedlings for the 'rousing shout out'

seedlings
Welcome, eh, to the newest Canadian! Maybe you could put up some pictures of your toaster-roaster?

DIY Drum roasters have been the rage of late - lots of help in these pages.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
I second the welcome Steve!

I'm a newcomer as well and thanks for "naming that burner". I can't believe how almost identical the lab burner you posted is to the one in the patent drawing. I now have to start researching the lab burners for potential fit.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres
Welcome, Steve.
For a moment there I thought you wondered if we allowed Canadian coffee. For coffee, my preferences run a little further south. For members, heck yeah! Canadians, too.

There's probably a little something in each drum roaster forum to help, so please enjoy your visits & post lots of question.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

SteveN

John Despres wrote:
For a moment there I thought you wondered if we allowed Canadian coffee.

:) It seems that most people here are from the US (perhaps I am incorrect)... I thought my spelling of flavour might arouse some suspicion about my origins. wow... bad pun.... sorry.

John Despres
Nah, Steve, while your personal origins are of some small importance to us; the origins of your coffee... well, that's different.

Where in Canada are you from? My family and I are taking the train from Toronto to Banff this July.

And regarding the puns, please colour them as you like. We enjoy all kinds of humour here at HRO.

Roflmao

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

JETROASTER
Hello,
My name is Scott,(freshbeans) and I have a coffee problem.
The job that pays the bills; The family vacuum business.
Previously; Navy Rescue Swimmer.
First roaster; Sivetz heat gun
Subsequently built a 2.5lb. propane air-roaster(1998), started wholesale biz.
Moved onto a new 5lb. propane.Expandable to 7.5.(2001)
Currently, 30,000 lbs later, rewriting the mission statement.
Wholesale is nice, but I prefer the roasting equipment to the private labeling,and the brewers, and all that comes with it.
I joined to see what the real innovators were up to. Very Cool!!
Looking forward to sharing some ideas with people.
The current goal; To proliferate affordable artisan coffee roasting.
A few issues with intellectual property that I'd like to discuss with
anyone that has experience.
After that, move onto a very cool joint project that puts really powerful
coffee roasting into anyones hands...affordably.

P.S. This site is the most fun I've had with coffee in years. Thanks

seedlings
Scott, you've got me hook, line and sinker! I don't bring any legal know-how, but I like building stuff - hey, sometimes it even works!

Whatever pics or videos you feel comfortable providing would be tremendous fun to enjoy!

Welcome to the fray,
CHAD

DavidG
Hey Scott/freshbeans,

Happy to chat legal stuff with you... give me a PM with contact info. I haven't even been roasting 2 years yet, and so relish the knowledge you can share with us all.

David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

Paul
Hey All
I am fairly new to home roasting, but very interested in learning more on how to roast and cup well. I am ready now to move up from the tiny but tasty batches of my well-worn FreshRoast8 from SM! I would like to continue small scale, but be able roast enough for at least a week and also give some away to friends and family. I drink ALOT of coffee! I will be here for a while and hope to contribute as I learn more. Thanks
Paul

randytsuch

Paul wrote:
Hey All
I am fairly new to home roasting, but very interested in learning more on how to roast and cup well. I am ready now to move up from the tiny but tasty batches of my well-worn FreshRoast8 from SM! I would like to continue small scale, but be able roast enough for at least a week and also give some away to friends and family. I drink ALOT of coffee! I will be here for a while and hope to contribute as I learn more. Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul
You may want to give this question it's own thread, in the right forum. You'll probably get more answers this way.
Would also help to provide more information, such as budget, how much do you want to roast at a time (weeks worth is not really helpful) and how much control you want. Also, if you would consider building one, or want to buy something.

Randy

bvwelch
Hey Paul, Welcome! and thanks for posting!

If you don't mind a little tinkering, a thrift-store breadmachine and a cheap heat-gun is good for one pound easily. Or even a dog bowl and cheap heat-gun is good for a half-pound.

I tend to roast in spurts, as I have the time, and freeze what I can't use or pass on to friends and co-workers. Sometimes I at least ask for enough $$$ to pay for the greens themselves.

If you need to do more than a few pounds per week, that is beyond my experience, but others here can chime in -- check the RoasterRob threads, or maybe the BBQ grills with RK drums.

Have fun, and thanks for posting! -bill

John Despres
Hi, Paul & welcome, welcome, welcome!

This is the place to learn ideas, techniques and get more than just a few tips.

You don't necessarily have to start a new thread, there are lots here to jump in on. There's Gene Cafe threads, heat gun threads, popper threads, and, of course, plenty of DIY build it yourself threads.

Have fun and enjoy!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Paul
@Randy-just saying hello, but you do have me thinking!
@bvwelch everyone says, "can I have some?" and we all know the FR8 is too small for that! I cook, brew beer, and always share product so naturally I will share beans when I can roast enough to matter.
To all I thank you in advance letting me benefit from your experimentation as I read. I am already enticed to home build in the future. A 1-2 lb. yield is more than enough for me to be able to do next. For now I think I'll go on the cheap and assume full control to maximize my learning and see where that goes. Perhaps a Popper with some more yield.

bvwelch
Paul, I love poppers, but I consider about 1/2 lb. the max load, and I often limit my load to only 150g. For a full pound, I'll mention bread machine again and then sit back and see who else chimes in with good ideas. have fun! -bill

randytsuch

bvwelch wrote:
Paul, I love poppers, but I consider about 1/2 lb. the max load, and I often limit my load to only 150g. For a full pound, I'll mention bread machine again and then sit back and see who else chimes in with good ideas. have fun! -bill

I have two Popcorn Pumpers, and one Poppery 1. One of the pumpers can do 150g easily, without modding. The others could only do about 100g without modding or stirring, so load is dependent on how lucky you get.

But, you can mod it, and seperate the fan from the heater, and then boost the fan voltage to increase the load. There are other Poppery mods that are supposed to increase the load too, but 150g is fine for me, I don't need larger right now.

Randy

thecoffeeadventures
Hello everyone! My name is Jamie and I've been drinking coffee since a young age. It wasn't until last year I started getting into "fresh" coffee and learning what that even was. I got into home roasting this year and have loved it. It's continued into such a passion that I'm starting my own home roasting business.

I run a website called TheCoffeeAdventures which you can find a link in my profile. The site is still expanding, but I talk about all my home roasting adventures, I do coffee reviews, recipes involving coffee, and more.

Hope to chat with you all more. :)
"Where Your Adventures Begin With Coffee."

seedlings
You're a welcome addition to the forums, Jamie!

Fellow adventurer,
CHAD

Jump to Forum: