Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
John Despres
Welcome, Jaime. Thanks for joining!

Tell us about the JavaPro.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

thecoffeeadventures

John Despres wrote:
Welcome, Jaime. Thanks for joining!

Tell us about the JavaPro.

John

Can't say much about the JavaPro yet...It had to get taken back for repairs, but I remain hopeful that all will be good with it.
"Where Your Adventures Begin With Coffee."

John Despres

thecoffeeadventures wrote:

Can't say much about the JavaPro yet...It had to get taken back for repairs, but I remain hopeful that all will be good with it.

Ouch! I hope it works out well in the end. Keep us posted.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

thecoffeeadventures

John Despres wrote:

thecoffeeadventures wrote:

Ouch! I hope it works out well in the end. Keep us posted.

John

I will do.
"Where Your Adventures Begin With Coffee."

Sanvito
Hello, My name is Nelson Villegas, I am from Costa Rica, I entered in this forum by coincidence, I was looking in how to build a home coffee roaster, because I will like to find the way to make it my self.
I got myself into coffee about 6 years ago, I bough an small farm and I dicede that I wanted to do something different.
This my short history, but I was thinking that maybe thru this forum I can get some advice from people that really knows.
Edited by Sanvito on 10/18/2010 7:57 PM

seedlings
Wow, Nelson, an actual coffee farmer in the forums! I'm so glad you're here! What can you tell us about your farm? I guess I made an assumption that it was a coffee farm, but you didn't say that directly. If it is, what type of trees do you have?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
Welcome!! I'm looking forward to pictures! Scott

bvwelch
Welcome Nelson,

Is this web site related to your farm?

http://cafesanvit...n_vito.php

Franco
Hi fellow coffee roasters! I just discovered this forum yesterday and immediately signed up. I am originally from Louisiana so, besides espresso, I also make coffee/chicory in a biggin, or french drip pot. No fancy stuff there, just the New Orleans blend from Community coffee - but it reminds me of home, and I find it actually pretty good tasting as well.

But my espresso setup is:

Expobar Brewtus III-R & Mazzer Mini grinder
www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages/1711/3306medlg.gif

Gene roaster - which I vent out a window with a 4" dryer exhaust hose attached to the chaff collector.
home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/genecafe/gene2.jpg

I only use Malabar Gold beans, which became my blend of choice a couple of years ago after trying to create my own through trial and error, or using single varieties. I have found that a medium light roast works best, i.e. produces the best crema, with this blend. When I've tried a darker roast, the espresso does not come out nearly as good.

I am hoping get back into talking coffee - I used to post on the old alt.coffee newsgroup, but that was ten years ago or more. I am interested to see how some folks are making their own drum roasters - that is something I once thought about doing with an old water heater element and a 55 gal drum - but it never got beyond the thinking stage.

Hey - good to be here.

Franco
Nashville, TN

JETROASTER
Franco, Welcome!! Like you, I wish I'd found this place earlier.
What I've learned here in less than a year far outweighs the five years prior. -Scott

John Despres
ALL RIGHT!!! Another Gene Cafe owner! How long have you been using it?

Welcome, again and thanks for joining us.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Welcome Franco! John wants to know about the Genecafe... I want to hear more about those Malabar Gold beans! Nice body? any off flavors (dirty socks)? How long do you rest them before pulling?

CHAD

Sanvito
Thank you all for your welcome word..yes my website is: www.cafesanvito.com I know it need an update, but I have has hard time finding good people to worked out

Sanvito

seedlings wrote:
Wow, Nelson, an actual coffee farmer in the forums! I'm so glad you're here! What can you tell us about your farm? I guess I made an assumption that it was a coffee farm, but you didn't say that directly. If it is, what type of trees do you have?

CHAD

Hello CHAD, yes, I have a farm, it?s not too big, but enough to get thru..I am 47, accountand by profesion, married with 2 kid..my father in law has been coffee farmer all his life, I got into the business about 10 years ago, because I wanted to do something different in my life, so, I stared from scratch, knowning nothing about it and I still learning, now I want to know more about roasting not only to produce green coffee for exportation, but also introduced it to Costarrican market.

Franco

John Despres wrote:
ALL RIGHT!!! Another Gene Cafe owner! How long have you been using it?

Welcome, again and thanks for joining us.

John

Hi John,

I've had it about two years, maybe a little longer - love it.
Expobar Brewtus; Mazzer Mini; Gene Cafe. Preferred blend: Malabar Gold.

Franco

seedlings wrote:
Welcome Franco! John wants to know about the Genecafe... I want to hear more about those Malabar Gold beans! Nice body? any off flavors (dirty socks)? How long do you rest them before pulling?

CHAD

Roasted on the light side, they produce a very nice body (if by that you mean a quasi syrup-like quality in the mouth) - the blend has a good representation of robusta beans and the crema production is very good. I highly recommend this blend and while taste is subjective, I don't think anyone who loves espresso would taste dirty socks. But they are not for the espresso novice, it is a sharp tasting cup.

I should rest them 36-48 hours - that's the best, but I usually can't wait that long and have them as soon as 12 hours after roasting.

I like them a lot but do use other blends, in fact I'm going to order some Sweet Maria's blends when I next run out of Malabar Gold.

:)
Edited by Franco on 10/24/2010 6:39 PM
Expobar Brewtus; Mazzer Mini; Gene Cafe. Preferred blend: Malabar Gold.

6eight
Hello! My name is Keith Henning and I hale from Greensboro, NC. I am a chef by trade so coffee has always been a big part of my day. All items for consumption intrigue me especially the good ones (small batch bourbon, wagu beef, good sake, and of course all things bbq). It was not until recently (1 month or so) that I found the joy of home roastingl It was on a trip to a local roasting facility that I realized roasting your own makes all the difference. I started browsing the web and was amazed at the scope of websites, beans sources and blogs that were dedicated to home roasting.

As the itch kept growing I sourced a local homebrew store that just started carrying a few types of beans and picked up a half pound on the way home from work. I broke out the dusty airpopper and roasted some beans. The first batch was OK. I purchased another pound the next day and roasted one batch after another hitting different levels of color and putting each sample in a small mason jar to rest. For the next week or so I sampled the different roasts subjecting my wife and I to some decent and some bad coffee.

Now I have the bug to build a roaster. Several of my co-workers have asked me to start roasting their coffee and my air popper is about ready to explode. In my search for the perfect roaster I found you guys. What a treat! I have only been on here for a day or so and can't believe what I have learned. I don't know if I will ever have much to contribute, but I am excited about learning.

See ya around the forum!

John Despres
Welcome, Keith! Thanks for joining us.

A chef, eh? Cool! I'm sure you'll have lots to offer.

Good luck with your build!

Have fun

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Welcome Keith... You'd better get on the project before that popper gives out!

CHAD

JETROASTER
Welcome Keith! Coffee is food, you belong here.

.....Has anyone ever deep-fried coffee? If anyone has...it was probably in the Carolinas.
Have Fun, -Scott

stoneguard
Deep fried coffee. Hmm. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Welcome, Keith! I am in SC, and pretty much in the learning phase as well. Just your reviews of the various batches you roasted would be interesting to me.

6eight

Just your reviews of the various batches you roasted would be interesting to me.

To be honest the coffee wasn't that good. The air popper (no mods) never gave the coffee time to develop. It was at 2nd crack in 4 minutes or so. Thinking about it from a cooking stand point I figured that wasn't a good thing. It is like a good marinade. If you only let it sit on the meat for a few minutes you will only get that good flavor on the outside. If you slow the process it will penetrate and allow more even flavor. On the other hand if you let it go to long the marinade will over power the meat (as well as some cell structure changes in the meat).

I thought about making some mods to my popper, but in the long run I want to roast more then a couple ounces. The problem I have now is information overload. I can't decide on a design or if I want fluid bed or drum. For me a drum makes more sense do to the additional flavors it could add to the roast. Bean residues, age, and what we call fond in the cooking world will impart hints of flavors that hot air will not. On the other hand fluid bed is more suitable to home needs and allows the flavor of the bean and roast to stand alone. Maybe I will just make both:)!
?I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.? ? W.C. Fields

Gary45
Hi! glad to be a part of your community

JETROASTER
Hi Gary, What's in the roaster? -Scott

Third Crack
Hello, I am a new member and want to mention the great help getting started I got from John Despres.
I have a Gene Cafe roaster that I modified by taking the heater leads to a variac so I could control temp in more ways than the on/off heating system it has. Other equipment: Technivorm and Compak K3 Touch. By the way the Compak K3 Touch makes a great versatile grinder at a reasonable (sort of) price. The grinder goes from the finest grind needed,however, at the coarsest setting it was not suitable for press pot and some other methods of brewing. I removed the screw under the button that indicates the grind setting which allows you to bypass a stop and move to coarser grinds. This now produces the whole range with commercial quality.
My first "study" with the modified Gene is with Kenyan beans. I preheat the Gene and then roast at 105V ( a bit under max) until early brown color. I wanted to start where I hit yellow at about 5-6 min and early brown about 8 min. At early brown or a little after, but before first crack, I lower the voltage to 90V. The goal is to gain control of the roast before first crack allowing me to extend the time from the start of first crack to dump (at a lighter roast level) to about 3 minutes. This 3 minutes is to get flavor development in lighter roasted coffee where you are roasting City to Full City. I will see how this goes and then can make adjustments to the initial and secondary voltage to refine the results. My goal is to get an optimum set of voltages for lighter roasts of hard beans. Then I can move on to other bean types. I managed to hit the marks I was shooting for rather close with this first run. At 90V the exit temp was about 430-435F. The verdict is still out on the first run (coffee resting) but I am having fun!
Bob

Jump to Forum: