Total Members: 7,576
Newest Member: Terry Hauser

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
John Despres
Hi, Bob! Welcome to out in the open!

Keep us posted as to how that first batch tastes.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

moonlight
Hello everyone ... Moonlight here. Moonlight - thats when I do my best work.
I started out using a hot air popcorn roaster ... graduated to a home roast machine.
Now I am roasting a Sivitz 1 1/2lb roaster. Bought it from the engineer that started me out roasting.
Latest coffee thing for me is ... just pulled my 1st espresso last night.
Gaggia Delux machine ... ground in a Cunill Brasil burr grinder ... using Sweet Marias Monkey Blend espresso beans. Piece of cake - once I got the grind down pat.
Working on perfecting my milk foaming technique.
Ciao

John Despres
Welcome, Moonlight.

I'm kind of a daylight person, myself. Good luck on your espresso!

Thanks for joining us. We need more night timers.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb

moonlight wrote:
Hello everyone ... Moonlight here. Moonlight - thats when I do my best work.
I started out using a hot air popcorn roaster ... graduated to a home roast machine.
Now I am roasting a Sivitz 1 1/2lb roaster. Bought it from the engineer that started me out roasting.
Latest coffee thing for me is ... just pulled my 1st espresso last night.
Gaggia Delux machine ... ground in a Cunill Brasil burr grinder ... using Sweet Marias Monkey Blend espresso beans. Piece of cake - once I got the grind down pat.
Working on perfecting my milk foaming technique.
Ciao

Welcome to Homeroasters moonlight!

I've only had a chance to see the bigger Sivetz machines. Would love to see pics of your 1.5 lb'r Sivetz if you get the chance to click some shots. Also, please share what produces best results with it (time/temp etc...)

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres
Okay, here's a bit more about me...

http://www.mlive...._ther.html

and another:

http://www.eastow...0.indd.pdf

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

JETROASTER
The Good Guys always wear white hats. -Scott

swamprb
Hi all!

Brian here from Bothell, WA and I use a RK Drum and a modified Weber 1000 LP gas grill with a bucket cooler I hook up to a Shop-Vac!

Usually get my beans from Sweet Marias and roast in 1 lb batches.
I've found it difficult to get green beans in the Seattle area-what's up with that?

GiddyGoat
Hello All -

My name is Kevin, and I reside in South Carolina. I am a home roaster with aspirations to roast for local stores and shops.

I have 3 kids (7,5 & 1) and a beautiful, wife of 11 years.

I look forward to learning and fellowshiping with you all.

img252.imageshack.us/img252/6134/giddygoatav.jpg

bvwelch

swamprb wrote:
Brian here from Bothell, WA and I use a RK Drum and a modified Weber 1000 LP gas grill with a bucket cooler I hook up to a Shop-Vac!
Usually get my beans from Sweet Marias and roast in 1 lb batches.
I've found it difficult to get green beans in the Seattle area-what's up with that?

Welcome Brian -- maybe you can check out the Gen-X place and let us know what you find out -- I've never mail-ordered from them but their prices look tempting. Their web site lists this address:

Gen-X Coffee
150 Melrose Ave E #307
Seattle, WA
206-910-4571

Sorry I have no further details. thanks! -bill

Ned1
Hi Folks,

My name is Ned and I live in Sonoma County, California. I've only been roasting for about a month but I'm completely hooked. I got a FreshRoast 500 from Sweet Marias with an 8 lb. sampler. I'm still learning how to use it, but making lots of progress. At this point, I don't turn it up to high heat.. keep it on medium with the fan on full, and then at the end I sort of "force" the 2nd crack to start by turning down the fan. I'm using right around 14 minutes per roast ( it was much quicker on high heat w/ the fan just set to keep the beans moving ) Sometimes I stop short of 2nd crack and it really is amazing how much the flavors change between 1st and 2nd.

I got into this because the coffee I've been drinking for 30 years was more and more and more and more disappointing. I got so that I simply wasn't enjoying coffee any more. I'd get home after spending $17 for a pound of coffee, open the bag and be disappointed. When I learned that green coffee beans store better, this sounded like something to try. Then if I find something I like, I can get a bunch and store it.

Anyway, this month has been an eye-opener for me. Now I'm enjoying my coffee like I used to ( and more! ), and actually go to bed at night looking forward to the next morning to taste the next delight.

One thing that's sort of interesting is that my taste in coffee has not changed... I still seem to prefer the same basic flavors, but they are just so much better home roasted. So I like Indonesian coffee and I like Colombian coffee sometimes ( there's a certain "Colombian taste".. it was in the "Los Churchos de Tolima" that SM sent me, but it was subtle and that coffee was so smooth and sweet... awesome! ) But I also like variety and I liked all 8 of the choices they sent me, except the Guatemala, which has a sharp flavor behind it that I can easily imagine some people liking but I don't.

So far I have mostly been drinking the coffee the day after roasting, and this week I'm starting to experiment with letting it "rest". In particular, that Guatemala I didn't like... I'm going to try it a 3 and 5 days and see if it changes. I already know that the sumatra and colombian coffees taste excellent after a couple days and that the flavor really does change.

I've had fun reading through these forums and thought it would be fun to join.

John Despres
Hi, and welcome, Ned1.

I got my start with a Fresh Roast 8 and and have since bought a Gene Cafe and have built 2 roasters.

Watch out! This could be a wild ride you've jumped on.

What are you grinding and brewing with? We want to know everything!

Thanks for joining. When you're ready to build, we're here to help.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Ned1
No kidding! I can already tell it's going to be a wild ride. And I have a tendency to get a bit carried away with my hobbies. ( My wife would be laughing at the understatement if she saw this... )

Right now just pour over... am looking at a chemex but haven't splurged on it yet. Also just a "whirling blade" grinder, but I'd like to get one that I can use w/o power. In fact... next step will probably be to try to get myself set up so that I can still make coffee when the power goes out. We have a gas stove/oven but the hood doesn't vent outside. So I'm eying the fireplace....

I'll be happy to hear any recommendations about hand turned burr grinders... I'm wondering how hard they are to clean... There's probably lots already written about this in these forums ( which are really great )

JETROASTER
Hi Ned, Welcome! The 'search' tool works great, and questions seem to get answered around here. Have fun! -Scott

seedlings
Yes, but the place you're 'carried away' to has funtastic coffee!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta

seedlings wrote:
Yes, but the place you're 'carried away' to has funtastic coffee!

CHAD

+1
Sean Harrington
educate.

mrcoffee
Hello, I am Dani?l from the Netherlands ( for some also known as Holland ).
After trading coffee for a long time and even longer enjoying it, I now have the plan to make a hot air roaster.
Over here I can not find much knowledge so the internet serves well.
When reading here a lot of posts I thought to let you know I will try to use the knowledge going on here. At the moment I follow the newest square RC project of 5 till 7 kilos from roasterRob.
Fabulous!
Oh, I am 40, have a technical enginering background, married and have a son of 21 months. We live in the North of the country 1,5 hour from Amsterdam.
Beside my coffeecrazyness I play in MellonBalls.
www.coffee4all.nl www.mellonballs.nl
My coffee at home is made with a Isomac cappuccina and a Isomac grinder. Gives good results. We use at our company Conti and Nuova simonelli, we also service them and have a dealership.
Hope to learn a lot from you all.

JETROASTER
Looking forward to the build!! Welcome aboard. -Scott

Third Crack
Hello Daniel, I hope you enjoy the forum. I wonder if I have been near where you live? I worked for 17 years in the US for a Netherlands based company and visited their headquarters many times. They are Ammeraal in Heerhugowaard. Always enjoyed my visits to Holland very much.
Bob

mrcoffee
Hello Scott, thanks. Will post results and progress.

Hello Bob, if you drive from Heerhugowaard over the afsluitdijk, you'll end up in Friesland. Thats were we live. Our company is in Drachten.
I come to Heerhugowaard sometimes, we have a dealership of Bravilor, they are also based there.
Nice to meet!

ecc
Hello everyone. Nice board you have here, thanks for letting me join!

I have a ton of questions, I'll have to pace myself and hope that I don't make myself too much of a pest... :)

blaccoffee
Hey everyone! Just found this site last night. I've been home roasting for a little over a year, now. I sell a few bags here and there. I modded a bbq at one point, but I'm back to my Poppery I. The grill just never touched the quality of the beans out of the air roaster. Now I'm contemplating building a giant popper... which is what brought me here!

Cheers!
Jason

DavidG
Jason (blaccoffee) -- welcome!

If you're thinking about a giant popper, then you MUST see Sean's (Unta) mammoth fluid bed beast. He's done a great job describing and posting pics and video.

Cheers,
DavidG
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

JETROASTER
Welcome ecc and Jason!! Jason, you have arrived at the right place. Have fun.
ecc, one mans pestering is anothers insight. You'll get some answers here. Cheers! -Scott

marcwonglm
Hi Everyone,
Newbie roaster, all the way form Singapore. Just got myself a Gene Cafe Roaster
and started roasting my own beans. Not to fantastic results I must say, not the equipment, just me lacking in experience. Any and all advice would be truly appreciated,:BowDown: think I roasted some beans to.....espresso level, and they were Bali. :(

Best regards and a belated New Year Greeting to all.

Marc.

Third Crack
Hi Marc...welcome. I won't give much advice, I'll leave that to the more experienced roasters. However, I have a Gene Cafe and I think it would be a good idea to see how much power it draws at your voltage. It seems it can vary and its helpful to know when you are getting advice from others. In my case the Gene runs hot and I draw the rated power at a relatively low voltage. I use a cheap power meter to check my wattage. Others may give you another way to check power by seeing how much time it takes to reach a certain temperature empty.
That being said, the Gene is a nice roaster and soon you will be making some great roasts!
Bob

Jump to Forum: