Total Members: 7,596
Newest Member: shdixon

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
GVDub

seedlings wrote:
GVDub... musician and writer - of songs or books or both? I'm a hobby musician and songwriter too. Actually I have too many hobbies.

Great intro.
CHAD

Both. The day job is as an advertising copywriter at Guitar Center corporate HQ doing buyers' guide copy, product profiles, etc. I tell my friends I'm a professional writer of fantasy and speculative fiction. The music is improvisational acid jazz/psychedelia ? think of it as John Scofield meets Thelonious Monk at a King Crimson concert. Samples of the music are at http://www.garage...t/GeorgeVW.

I also write short fiction (as yet unpublished, although the rejection notices are getting more and more encouraging).

Koffee Kosmo
Welcome GVDub
I love King Crimson
Just letting you know I had a listen to a couple of your music tracks and your style reminds me of Chick Corea and his Mad Hatter album

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

ghodgdon
Since I started in another post ill introduce my self here.

My name is Grant im In Sacramento CA. Im a musician by trade (well more of whats left.) I worked in Mortgage up till about a year ago then spent my time playing music and touring. I have spent time in Central america which is where i fell in love with coffee. that first really fresh cup of coffee in Costa Rica is what won me over about 2 years ago. Ive been trying to find that ever since with not much luck. I guess I started the desire to roast to find that great fresh cup of coffee. If you have seen my other post it looks like its going to be a bit of a learning curve for me. But if it was easy then I wouldnt want to do it.

Im new to the world of this and am just taking this all in and learning as much as I can. if anyone wants to show me anything i wouldnt be opposed to that. I got a long road ahead of me but its gonna be a fun ride.
Edited by ghodgdon on 04/17/2009 11:27 PM

BoldJava
Grant welcome to the fold. Nice to have you here.

All of our stories are different. All of our stories are the same. The first roast I did was a Flores ... it was so bad - green, sour, but I choked it down.

The learning curve quickly turns into the "Path" which quickly turns into a "rabbit hole,' that most of us invariably peep into and then tumble down.

Watch the edge; it's very slippery.

Oh, good time to join. 12 days we have a blow out auction in behalf of Coffee Kids and there just might be a roaster or two in there that catches your fancy.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

endlesscycles
Hi y'all!

So, here's my humble intro:

I have no roasting gear or experience other than a love for coffee (okay, I worked at Cup-A-Joe in Raleigh, NC while in school over a decade ago). However, from what I've come to understand of the art of roasting, I have a feeling this is going to be something I fall in love with. I have particular senses and enjoy putting them to use. I also enjoy precision and repetition to a fault...obsessing over subtleties. My knowledge of beans is limited to what the local shop (Izzy's Coffee Den) serves up, and this knowledge has actually been on the decline over the last year since I switched to Americanos. I'm pretty sure my favorites have been Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley, Honduras El Puente, and East Timor. I look forward to learning more about these origins and why it is I can even remember their names. My guess is complex and balanced flavor with cleanliness and clarity...but we'll see if that's the case!

School was at NCSU for Engineering and Material Science. I prototyped composite products for a start up company, 3TEX, before starting a bicycle frame and component company, Endless Bike Co., which I have recently sold. Presently I turn wrenches at a local bike shop and wonder why there isn't a kick ass coffee roasting operation in a town with so many locally owned coffee shops.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

BoldJava
Marshall, welcome.

Maybe you are the one to turn the key to a local roasting option. Might call it, En-Hanced Roast. Or maybe Asheville Artesan Coffee Roasters. Or maybe, ....

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

DavidG
Delighted to be joining HRO. My name is David Graham, and I live in the Columbus, Ohio, area (seems there is quite a Midwest/Ohio contingent here at HRO!).

I went down the rabbit-hole when the local independent cafe was sold and the buyer added his commercial roaster. In response to my dozens of questions, he offered to sell me a popper from his old stash for 5 bucks (Toastmaster 1200W) and threw in a couple pounds of low-grade, no name Guat beans. Me: hook-line-sinker! First roasts were early December '08 -- a ton of fun and choked down the results. My very first roast ever (so labeled) sits in a pint Mason jar on my desk at work (kept closed - rancid now).

Right now, a little over 50 roasts logged in my book. I'm eager to keep reading, learning, experimenting, roasting and brewing.

At my birthday, my wonderful wife got me a SM gift card! Great woman -- esp. since she doesn't care for coffee. But, she learned to make some serious tea in a french press (we have his-n-hers -- think about how nasty any residue at all would taste).

Fun fact: this afternoon at work tried inverted Aeropress for the first time. What a difference!! Even with the standard issue paper filters (need to upgrade to polyester).

Godspeed,

David

p.s. In good bean-evangelist form, I passed on the above-mentioned Toastmaster to a bean-curious friend last week with some GOOD Guat: Huehuetenango SHB El Injerto!

BoldJava
David, welcome.

Maybe I missed it but it you passed on the popper, what are you roasting on now?

Roast, rest, toast, and post. Glad to have you here.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

brownroaster
Hi my name is Steve, I have been roasting for about 10 years. I have a Fresh Roast as well as a popcorn popper. I actually like the popper better - more of a consistant roast. i am looking to upgrade to probably the Behmore1600 for now...I would love to get a 2 or 5lb roaster but cost is an issue.
I enjoy roasting South American coffees as well as African. I also have begun roasting for a small client base (friends and family) which has been enjoyable. I look forward to gaining insight with the members here, as well as great discussions!

Steve

jspain

brownroaster wrote:
Hi my name is Steve, I have been roasting for about 10 years. I have a Fresh Roast as well as a popcorn popper. I actually like the popper better - more of a consistant roast. i am looking to upgrade to probably the Behmore1600 for now...I would love to get a 2 or 5lb roaster but cost is an issue.
I enjoy roasting South American coffees as well as African. I also have begun roasting for a small client base (friends and family) which has been enjoyable. I look forward to gaining insight with the members here, as well as great discussions!

Steve

Welcome brownroaster!!!!
It sounds like you've caught the bug! I've had it for about 12 years now and love to roast. The club will be helpful with all your questions. Ask away.... Check out the current and history treads and you'll be heading in the right direction. Have fun and look for the upcoming auction!!!!! Some great stuff to bid on and ALL PROCEEDS go to "Coffee Kids!" Free shipping. It will be a great way to intensify the bug!!! jim
Edited by jspain on 04/22/2009 12:42 PM
"How we treat our children determines who we are!"

John Despres
Welcome, Steve!

I concur with what Jim posted.

Have fun, ask all the questions you want and tell all there is to tell.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Marshall_S
Welcome aboard Steve!

10 years and going strong..that is impressive!

I'm sure you'll feel right @home here.

I'm a newb (2 years roasting) and just recently found this forum.

You won't find a more knowledgeable, friendly group of people.

Look forward to your posts..

BoldJava
Steve, Bienvenido, welkommen.

Roast, rest, toast, post, and boast.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

AndreMol
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum but I've been roasting for over four years now in the kitchen of my tiny Manhattan apartment. My main equipment is my i-Roast but sometimes I experiment with other methods (usually when I have more space at my disposal). I post a lot of stories of my roasting adventures on my blog: http://coffeellam...ogspot.com.

I get a lot of my stuff at Sweet Marias but occasionally find other sources here in NYC. The city is also experiencing quite a coffee boom these last couple of years so there is a lot of great coffee to sample every day. We have a couple of shops that rotate their offerings every month and brew on Clovers so I'm really learning to develop my palate.

I don't know any other home roasters so I'm looking to connect and hopefully learn from others.

Andre

BoldJava
Andre, It is nice to have you and all the others join in recently.

Thanks for bringing your background and interest into the forum.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

brownroaster
Thanks guys for the warm welcome...has anyone experienced with the artesanal roaster? I attached a link from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.c...m153.l1262 {edited only to make link click-ready} B|Java
I'm looking for a good 1 lb roaster to tied me over until I can get a 2 or 5
Edited by BoldJava on 04/24/2009 4:24 AM

John Despres
No control, hand crank, no heat source, co cooling. I understand there's a bigger version with heat added but it looks like there's a much higher cost. $3000 but no facts...

I can't seem to find much positive about. I Googled it and found lots of eBay stuff, but no website or anything else.

Pass for now, I'd suggest, but if you do get one, let us know. We'd all love to play with it virtually as you learn it.

Since I couldn't find much about it, I can't tell how easy it would be to retrofit.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

rcwarship
Hello All,
My name is Jon and I'm a coffeeholic! Good day everyone, it's a gorgeous evening in Seattle. I've been an avid coffee drinker for 35 years and got used to the "coffee" one finds in shipyards and on roach coaches. Say no more!
I got started on Starbucks a few years back and about a month ago I decided I could do better. I'm on a budget and got started with a heavy pan on a propane burner, results were good (compared to the shipyard stuff anyways). I have decided to build a drum roaster and am gathering components now. I plan on using a pair of halogen bulbs, aluminum housing, stainless drum & rod. I'm looking forward to having a go at it.
Thanks all for creating and posting on the forum, it's been a great read to date.
Cheers!
Jon T

BoldJava
Hi John and welcome. I got my first blast of coffee from my Mum's percolator and everything has been uphill after that and four years of US soldier coffee. Yikes.

Stay alert during our coffee auction and see if there is anything that hits your fancy. Gates open next Friday. Sneak in early and get the first bid.

Again, welcome aboard.
B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 04/24/2009 4:25 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

KRR
Greetings from Atlanta....

Learning much about the roasting process from everyone here.
Thanks for the valuable data.

I have been roasting for about a year, and it is one of the most
satisfying feelings ever......being able to produce a product
so much BETTER and at 1/2 the cost of "storebought" coffee.

I am not the smartest hound in the pen, but I HAVE been
lucky enough to make a pretty inexpensive drum using a
sort of different "drum rotation" theory.

Very similar to the RK drum, but with a 1/2" threaded steel
rod going straight through utilizing my "revolutionary" idea
for drum end caps......WALMART CAKE PANS....

I rolled 19 guage 3/16" perforated steel to size into the
9" cake pan...trimmed it up and rivoted the steel together..

The rod going through the drum also gives me the opportunity
to place on both ends wooden handles to allow me to empty
beans with NO GLOVES....just use pliers to unhitch the latch
i placed on the hinged door i cut in one of the cake pans.

My first drum is 8" by 18". I only roast for my wife and I,
so weekly batches of only 1 1/4 LB are necessary, although
this setup can do considerably more.

I have a thermocoupler with a fiberglass probe running
through a copper tubing going directly below the drum
as it turns in the grill.

These 3 burner Weber grills produce plenty of heat
for me. First crack for 1.25 lb of Rwanda Gkongoro Nyarusiza
occurs between 8 to 9 minutes. I find the Weber "flavor bars"
diffuse the heat from the burners, providing uniform temps.

Remembering my probe is just below the rotating drum, i
have reached temps registering over 800 degrees. I am
convinced the three burner route is the way to go.

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the little
bit I have learned.

attached is a pic of the drum

and a clip of me testing the drum with blackeyed
peas posing as coffee beans (i told you i was southern)

http://www.youtub...wmgz3vCDPg

I am now in the process of making another setup for my daughter
using 10" cake pans.

always learning,

Ken
KRR attached the following image:
setup.jpg

Edited by KRR on 04/28/2009 7:41 AM

BoldJava
Ken,

How creative. Those of us without the mechanical gifts take our hat off to this kind of rig.

Welcome
B|Java, strictly plug-n-play
Edited by BoldJava on 04/27/2009 7:45 PM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Dale
hello everyone new to this site transferred over from GCBC and cant wait to bid on the Yama Pot offered by my friend Jspain.
:)

ginny
Dale,

again welcome, bid away...

we got some great stuff.

Thanks for joining,
ginnyShock

Jeremy
Hi everyone,

Four years ago, I stumbled onto Sweet Maria's website and soon found myself with a Poppery I and several bags of green beans. Since then, I've added a Zach & Dani's to the mix, but still prefer to roast on the Poppery. My favorite coffee is/was an Ethiopian Harar Horse Lot 30 from SM I got a couple of years ago (but maybe that would change if I could get my hands on some Esmeralda Special "see the face of god" coffee...). I've decided I need to modify my Poppery so I can truly start exploring the intricacies of roasting profiles, which means I'll undoubtedly be asking some questions on this board as a stumble through that! I'm excited to have found a group of fellow homeroasting enthusiasts - this is a hobby I've had for awhile that no one else seems to get (and it probably doesn't help that I look like a crazy man when I'm outside with chaff flying and fans running)!

My wife and I moved down to New Orleans about two years ago, which one might expect would have a great coffee community, but we have been disappointed overall with the quality at the local cafes. Companies like Orleans Coffee Exchange do a good job of roasting some awesome specialty coffees, but there seems to be a disconnect after it leaves their shop. If there are any other roasters in the area who would like to get together at some point, please let me know!

Jeremy
Edited by Jeremy on 04/30/2009 5:45 PM

seedlings
Great to meet you Jeremy. There are some terrific threads around here on modifying the P1. (there's also one up for sale in the auction - help some kids, get a second roaster.. it's all good)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: