Print Thread
What's in Your Roaster This Week?
jlyon10
Sounds like an adventure
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

bvwelch

John Despres wrote:
a trip to Baby's Coffee in Key West will be in order.
John

That will be an adventure for sure! Sailing, Flying, or swimming? :-)

Seriously, check out the Dry Tortugas if you do get out that way. -bill
Edited by bvwelch on 12/21/2009 9:02 AM

John Despres
I just found out Baby's roasts all their coffee in New Orleans now. Sigh.

Bill, I've been all over the keys, racing, vacationing, and the Dry Tortugas. Key West is one of my favorite places on this planet and will make a trip there at least once. But they paved Mallory square and now it's a boutique...

Need a roaster in S Florida for back up...
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch

John Despres wrote:
I've been all over the keys, racing, vacationing, and the Dry Tortugas. Key West is one of my favorite places on this planet and will make a trip there at least once.

For coffee, maybe you can find something passable in Naples?

I grew up in Pensacola (extreme N.W. FL), but did get down south a few times. I enjoyed Pennekamp and also Bahia Honda but ran out of time and turned back before making it to Key West.

My Dad and I built a sailboat and had big plans to sail down to the Dry Tortugas. The boat was fine (lots of hilarious stories about that, but that is for another thread I guess), but I ended up going away to school and getting happily married and moving to northern Alabama.

Have fun, keep us posted! -bill

smatty1
Aida's Grand Reserve El Salvador Peaberry!
So far the priciest coffee I've roasted. My first foray into the world of upper crust beans. Very excited to try this in a few days! Roasted FC. This is my Xmas wknd coffee. Next week I'm roasting the even pricier Panama Geisha for my New Years wknd coffee!

seedlings
Ohh, that Panama... <shudders> will make a fantastic cup! Romance her for a while, dance with second crack, but don't step on her toes.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/22/2009 7:55 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

smatty1

seedlings wrote:
Ohh, that Panama... <shudders> will make a fantastic cup! Romance her for a while, dance with second crack, but don't step on her toes.

CHAD

Profile suggestions? This is the lot that is 1/2 lb DP and 1/2 lb WP.....

seedlings

smatty1 wrote:
Profile suggestions? This is the lot that is 1/2 lb DP and 1/2 lb WP.....

Wow, 1/2 and 1/2? Hmmm... I'm thinking shoot for City+ to Full City in 15 or 16 minutes:

1) give it a little extra drying time (since you won't be hitting 2nd crack), about 7? minutes to get the beans yellow 300F
2) spend another 4? minutes to get to first crack 400F
3) then lower the heat to spend 2? minutes through the end of first crack 415F
4) take it gently another 2? minutes, but don't hit 2nd crack 425F?

How the heck you do that on a GeneCafe is beyond me, though. I can fly by the seat of my pants with responsive heat, watching the thermometer and the clock.

CHAD

John Despres
If there's one thing in abundance around here, it's opinions so here's my suggestion.

Stay at City or City +. I know Tom says Full City is OK, but keep it light and you'll be rewarded!

This is a watch and pay close attention profile. It also follows CHAD's suggestion for the most part

Preheat your roaster to 300?F

Warm the beans at 300?F until they begin to yellow (about 6 to 7 minutes), then bump to 465?F until 1st.

Once 1st has started (2 or 3 snaps in quick succession) immediately drop to 444?F. I imagine first will come about 12:30-ish.

First will end in about 2 minutes, so once 1st has ended, drop to 440?F or 438?F if you like.

Wait 2 more minutes at 440?F/438?F, drum cool for 1 minute and end the roast.

Tell us all about it!

Which Panama Esmerelda Geisha lot are you going to roast? I bought a pound of each of the 4 lots.

I hope this helps.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
If there's one thing in abundance around here, it's opinions so here's my suggestion.

Stay at City or City +. I know Tom says Full City is OK, but keep it light and you'll be rewarded!

This is a watch and pay close attention profile. It also follows CHAD's suggestion for the most part

Warm the beans at 300?F until they begin to yellow (about 6 to 7 minutes), then bump to 465?F until 1st.

Once 1st has started (2 or 3 snaps in quick succession) immediately drop to 444?F. I imagine first will come about 12:30-ish.

First will end in about 2 minutes, so once 1st has ended, drop to 440?F or 438?F if you like.

Tell us all about it!

Which Panama Esmerelda Geisha lot are you going to roast? I bought a pound of each of the 4 lots.

I hope this helps.

John

Roger!
This is the Garrido Geisha collection that came in a few wks ago. It contains a half lb of DP and a half lb of WP.

John Despres
Ah... Are you roasting them separately? Or splitting them and roasting a melange?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Ah... Are you roasting them separately? Or splitting them and roasting a melange?

John

These will be separate roasts. I'll roast the DP one first. Should they be roasted differently?

seedlings

smatty1 wrote:
These will be separate roasts. I'll roast the DP one first. Should they be roasted differently?

Oh, I thought it was a blend!

The WP may (may) need a little more drying, but otherwise I'd roast them the same.

CHAD

smatty1

seedlings wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

Oh, I thought it was a blend!

The WP may (may) need a little more drying, but otherwise I'd roast them the same.

CHAD

Looking fwd to it! In the meantime I have Aida's grand reserve to hold me over!:) Fist sampling of that on 12/24!:)

John Despres
I'd use a cup instead of your fist...Grin

I think I'd roast 'em the same. In fact, if you do, it will be a nice comparison.

John
Edited by John Despres on 12/23/2009 7:39 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
I'd use a cup instead of your fist...Grin

I think I'd roast 'em the same. In fact, if you do, it will be a nice comparison.

John

I've grown rather fond of the bright salty flavor my fist imparts on the coffee!

karlo

smatty1 wrote:

seedlings wrote:

karlo wrote:
FTO Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. One of my favorites to drink, first time to roast it. Going to do some small Christmas gift bags of it for some coffee appreciating friends.

I keep giving out coffee and I can't think of anyone who drank it within a month. Even when I include the grinder. Grrr. They always say it tastes good, so I grin and nod.

CHAD

I have the same experience. People just dont get it. Peasants!;)

it's definitely only for the select few who i know will appreciate it. got to pass some on to some friends in central FL, who over Christmas i believe i successfully talked out of ever buying pre-ground @ the grocery store again. i'll take the crusade one family at a time if that's what it takes.

also just placed an order at sweet maria's for a 4lb sampler and a pound of their El Salvadore COE offering - looking forward to trying my hand at those.
flavors.me/karlfi...
'when our depravity meets his divinity it is a beautiful collision' ~crowder

Clifford
more of CHAD"s El Salvador
Edited by Clifford on 12/28/2009 1:27 PM
May the Force be with your cup

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

Tell us all about it!

I hope this helps.

John

Gentlemen, the deed is done.
I roasted the DP batch using above profile. And now I play the waiting game...
Roast looks closer to FC than C+ to me. I do have a pretty sporty little heat element:)

John Despres
Hmm, maybe should have drum cooled a bit earlier. You can always yank the beans at any time and end the roast when it's looking darker than you may like. That's one of the Gene Cafe benefits - a glass drum.

Do you still have some light chaff in the seam?

I can't wait to hear about it!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Hmm, maybe should have drum cooled a bit earlier. You can always yank the beans at any time and end the roast when it's looking darker than you may like. That's one of the Gene Cafe benefits - a glass drum.

Do you still have some light chaff in the seam?

I can't wait to hear about it!

John

Yup.....still light chaff in seam. Beans look somewhere between C+ and FC...about the same place I target most of my roasts. I can take a picture and scan up tonight if you wanna see em....

John Despres
With some light chaff in the seams, I think your roast might be about City +.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
Sumatra Organic Lampahan - Bonkawan Coop, thank you Eddie!

Enjoyed the roasting, now the countdown begins!

Hey, will 'last year's roast' still be considered fresh after tomorrow?
Edited by bvwelch on 12/31/2009 5:27 PM

mldavis2
Started the year off with some Tanzania Kanyovu I picked up in KC on a recent trip. Also had some Burundi Kayanza Bwayi No. 7 in the hopper.

I hate being away over a long week for the holiday because I get behind on my roasting and have to drink coffee that needs a couple of days rest. But I'm catching up. :)
I love home roast!

iRoast2
Capresso Infinity
CCD, French press, Aeropress, TechniVorm

Clifford
I think I am beginning to zero in with my Gene. My last roast came out a reddish brown color like I have seen in the photo's here. I roasted some of my Esmaralda Gesha today. Tomorrow or the next day I will sample
May the Force be with your cup

Jump to Forum: