https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Clifford
KK WOW Heaven on your first batch. CONGRATULATIONS :Clap:
May the Force be with your cup

mldavis2
I'm roasting a batch of beans I bought at the plantation in Lucma, Peru and mailed home. Very interesting coffee, and not all that bad, although not quite up to Sweet Maria's level.
I love home roast!

iRoast2
Capresso Infinity
CCD, French press, Aeropress, TechniVorm

DavidG
Costa Rica La Minita
Sumatra Karo Highlands
FTO PNG

Fun to cup, fun to drink!

smatty1
El Salvador Santa Rita Full Natural! Y.U.M.! Loved this coffee in the past and had a half lb I'd been sittin on. It had dried out a touch apparently cause it moved from 1st to 2nd pretty quickly! Still looks and smells fantastic though!

smatty1
Panama Guyami Indian Robusta Rustico
My 2nd go at a robusta. Again a weird roast. One big snap of C1 and the rest was inaudible. After 2 mins I dropped the temp to 444. C2 began a min.5 later and I ended the roast. Nice even looking roast. I got RAVE reviews from the other one I roasted, so we'll see if this stands the test. Go easy if you're consuming this stuff by itself. It is rocket fuel!

milknmycoffee
DavidG - where did you get your Costa Rica La Minita from? I have some Costa Rica La Minita Tarrazu from Coffee Bean Corral that I have not roasted yet....never tried this type of coffee before. I would love to hear your 'tasting notes':)

In my roaster this week:

Nicaragua SHG Maragogipe (Santa Isabel COE)-chocolate bomb-one of my faves!!!
Nicaragua Mama Mina Microlot-honey sweetness..smooth & delicate
Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea - nice smooth everyday type coffee
Hawaiian Waialua-extremely smooth and nutty...but pricey

All roasted on a modified West Bend Poppery I to City Roast level.

DavidG

milknmycoffee wrote:
DavidG - where did you get your Costa Rica La Minita from? I have some Costa Rica La Minita Tarrazu from Coffee Bean Corral that I have not roasted yet....never tried this type of coffee before. I would love to hear your 'tasting notes':)

Milknmycoffee,
I scored this from a commercial roaster in Cinci, Ohio (shoutout: Coffee Break Coffee Roasters!! 'Sup, Drew?!). I "cold called" them for a Friday afternoon tour, and got the royal treatment as a lowly homeroaster.

This is my first roast with this bean. Goal was City+. WPB1 mod'd.
2 286
3 290
4 320
5 345
6 386
6:36 401 First
7 410
8 418
8:50 426 drop

13.75% weight loss. My profiling is crude given I am working with the fan wired on and the factory switch wired for the heater only.

I am a noob at cupping, so I'll give you my thoughts even though I feel like a neanderthal visavis the others here at HRO who've been at it for years.

Aromatics in dry grounds were mildly fruity and hints of delicate florals. At crust break, very fleeting tart citrus. Very round, full noseful. Classic brightness and nothing funky or weird. Slurp: Delicate florals initially; mild brightness; full, round feel. No real nuttiness (maybe I was expecting some...); aftertaste and linger dropped off pretty quickly.

In contrast that night I was tasting the fruit heavy PNG and the peppery Sumatra noted in prior post.

Hope this helps. I intend to hone in on this bean by next roasting the same bean to 3 different roast levels (City+, FC and FC++, maybe) and making notes on the results. I aspire to this level of discipline.

David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

John Despres
Excellent post, David. Keep it up!
Let us know how those other roasts turn out.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

karlo
Roasted the last of a pound of Yirg. The first few batches I did i think I took a little too dark, so I tried to adjust to a lighter roast, even though i was hesitant - one of my first roasts ever was an under roasted Brazilian, and that freaked me out a bit. I'm more & more interested lately however in trying to coax out some of the fruity flavors that are more apparent in the lighter roast.
flavors.me/karlfi...
'when our depravity meets his divinity it is a beautiful collision' ~crowder

Koffee Kosmo
Saturday's roast was

850 grams of Sumatra Mandheling Mystic TP

I thought of going all out with a large test batch after a couple of simple mods on the new kit roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

bvwelch
Tonite's roasts: Sumatra Mandheling TP Select - GCBC, and Uganda Bugisu Crop to Crop - GCBC.

milknmycoffee
DavidG - thanks for the fantastic response. I especially appreciated both the roasting and cupping notes. Your roasting profile looks very similar to mine-which makes your comments even more helpful to me! This is a new coffee for me so I appreciate getting such a detailed response.

I will return the favor and post both my profile and cupping notes when I roast my La Minita Tarrazu - probably sometime over the weekend.

If you feel like neanderthal in such experienced company here, than I must be some sort of procaryotic organism like a bacteria. I have only been roasting since December! :)

smatty1
Bali Blue Moon!
Thought this stuff was something special the first time I roasted it. I used a slightly different profile this time. Smells good already. The wait is gonna kill me on this one!:)

milknmycoffee
DavidG - I did not get to roast my Costa Rica La Minita over the weekend due to a deluge of roasting requests from friends and family...so maybe sometime this week.

I ended up roasting the following, including two repeats from last week:

more chocolaty Nicaragua SHG Maragogipe for my husband and friends
more Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea for friends
Guatemala Antigua - La Flor del Caf?-subdued milk chocolate and nuts.
Panama Las Flores de Volcan-super delicate w/ vanilla tea & apricot flavors
Sulawesi Tana Toraja Ke'pe-roasted this to Full City-darker than my normal roasting style. Bittersweet with earthy Sumatra like flavors & slightly peppery undertone.
Kenya AA Nyeri Tambaya-wine soaked plums & Earl Grey tea.
Kenya Kiambu Nyaga Peaberry -Gobs of blackberry & raspberry. Syrupy sweetness. This was the star of the week for me. First time I ever had this...liked it so much I ordered 5 lbs more.
Edited by milknmycoffee on 01/26/2010 6:47 PM

milknmycoffee
Finally got around to roasting the Costa Rica - La Minita Tarrazu from Coffee Bean Corral.

Here is my roast profile. Time is in minute:seconds. Temp is in Fahrenheit. Readings taken about every 30 seconds. I used a WB Poppery I.

Time m/s Temp (F)
00:00:00 74
00:30:00 190
01:00:00 250
01:30:00 160
02:00:00 242
02:30:00 295
03:00:00 320
03:15:00 330
03:45:00 210
04:00:00 250
04:30:00 310
05:00:00 345
05:30:00 350
06:00:00 368
06:30:00 375
07:00:00 398
07:06:00 400 - 1st Crack
07:15:00 405
07:30:00 410
07:45:00 418
08:00:00 416
08:15:00 412
08:30:00 415
08:45:00 418
08:50:00 420
09:00:00 425
09:10:00 425 - end of roast

I did not record moisture loss as I am not weighing my beans (need batteries for my new scale...).

I brew my coffee in a moka pot and drink it with milk-so my tasting notes reflect this... Drank this two times: 24 and 48 hrs after the roast.

Delicate 'milky' sweetness (no I did not forget to add the coffee..). Sweet almond and apricot, especially as coffee cools. Some grain..maybe graham cracker...especially at the bottom of the cup. I really loved this coffee..lots of flavor unlike some super delicate bodied coffees.

My sister tried it and thought it was milky and grainy with some sort of fruit in the background. Had a 'ping sweetness'."

An interesting note: I roasted (same roast level & method) a Costa Rica Tarrazu -Montes de Oro from Sweet Maria's and it was similar but slightly different in that it chocolate notes and less 'milky sweetness'. I realize that it is not exactly the same coffee but it is similar enough to compare to the La Minita.

DavidG - thanks again for posting your roasting profile and tasting notes. I really enjoyed referring to your notes as I was tasting my roast. The almond nuttiness in my cup was very delicate-easy to miss..for me it was almost like sweet almond flavored milk. I did not really taste any florals...what kind did you taste? Honeysuckle? Anyway, thanks again for sharing your roasting experience :)

Koffee Kosmo
Guess what I have been roasting this week

I roasted a 700gr batch of
Nicaragua del Cielo Cup of Excellence

They were a gift to me from a friend

Very easy to roast on the KKTO and probably one of the easiest beans I have ever roasted

Just have to wait a few days to degas for a heavenly sip

KK

seedlings
Kenya Nyeri Ndiaini-Kiagundo WP Decaf. What's the trick to a light-roast decaf? I stopped at 425 ish and there was oil on the beans. Smelled heavenly sweet-n-fruit.

Guatemala Oriente DP... Tuff to roast! I knew first crack would come 10F late... it started at 412F and just kept going for 4 minutes until I finally stopped and cooled at 427F, when I thought the first-crack sounds were becoming crisper and tighter, like second crack. Usually 2nd crack shows up about 437~440. I only had one pound and I hope it's OK. I was shooting for Full City, and that's what the beans look like.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

gene
Whats the trick?

"Kenya Nyeri Ndiaini-Kiagundo WP Decaf. What's the trick to a light-roast decaf? I stopped at 425 ish and there was oil on the beans. Smelled heavenly sweet-n-fruit".

C'mon Chad you know this beautiful bean. Very light oil is no prob, you don't want heavy oil. It is a delicate roast with the Kiagundo and takes extreme sensitivity re stretching the first crack without getting into second.

The trick, if you are roasting Kenya Nyeri Ndiaini-Kiagundo WP Decaf and using a Gene Cafe, is to drop to From 471 to 442 at beginning of first C(if roasting a regular SHB bean drop somewhere from 482 to around 462 at beginning of first C). Admittedly this is a large drop but it is a touchy roast.

I'm planning to roast this one again tonite. I'm presently setting on 15 pounds. This one is a winner and I'm super excited at the challenge to get it just right!!!!!!

Let us know how your wife likes it.
gene

milknmycoffee
Koffee Kosmo - Let me know what the Nicaragua del Cielo tastes like. I have never tasted the del Cielo so I am curious...

I love Nicaraguan coffees...especially the chocolaty ones.

Koffee Kosmo

milknmycoffee wrote:
Koffee Kosmo - Let me know what the Nicaragua del Cielo tastes like. I have never tasted the del Cielo so I am curious...

I love Nicaraguan coffees...especially the chocolaty ones.

On the depth that this batch was roasted (full city+ )
Espresso
It pours like liquid amber
Full body
Chocolate to caramel syrup like taste
Chocolate after-taste

Also recommended for milk drinks
all the above flavours are sweeter

It goes down very nice indeed as I sip while typing my analysis this is truly a nice drop mmmmmmm

Although in this video the pour I did was of a Sumatra Blue, it is pretty close to the pours I am getting with Nicaragua del Cielo

http://www.youtub...kWjQnLJ6-E

KK

seedlings
Gene, regarding the Kenya... I'm not sure my wife is sold on it, but I AM! However I roasted - it's light and delicate with kiwi-strawberry, and very sweet. She takes hers with milk and sweetner, so I think it may not have enough body to carry through the add-ins (but this is only 36h rest).

Do you anticipate first crack and lower the heat, or wait until it actually starts, then lower the heat?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

gene
Do you anticipate first crack and lower the heat, or wait until it actually starts, then lower the heat?

CHAD

Ha Ha.....John thinks my signalling method is funny! Poor guy, he's been drinking too much Decaf and falling asleep at the wheel!

This is one of those situations where I am in the mountainous area of VA and it gets COLD up here. Have my exhaust run out the Washer/Dryer room window this winter. I get on the ladder and when 12 minutes approaches I start listening for the cracks. I signal thru the window to Judy and, if decaf, she lowers it to 442 the instant a rolling first crack BEGINS, not the "outlier crack" but rolling.

........and I NEVER signal with my middle finger as I depend on Judy to cook.

She knows I am pretty much useless around the house except she rolls me out of the bed each day to fix her coffee.

Last nite she helped me with two 250G batches of Kiagundo. The first was 2:00 past first beginning of rolling crack. The second 2:50 past beginning of first rolling crack. That way when they are mixed I get some fruit plus get some chocolate. She swears this decaf is better than.....well, better than most 90+ cupping score caffienated.

We have some Bali Hai Decaf left and it is far, far better than Bali Hai. I agree with Tom, "aromatically, and in terms of sweetness and clean fruited notes, Kenya N'daina Kiagundo is an amazing cup".

Living the American Dream baby!

benpiff
Hi everybody, has anyone else bought beans from www.highcountrycoffee.com? I just began on my home roasting journey and the owner picked out some coffees that would be forgiving with lighter roasts. Great prices too. I just did about 6 ounces in my Popcorn Pumper with a PNG Tribal Peaberry and it is delightful! Definitely pushing the boundaries of my palate with all these juicy notes. Here's more details. http://highcountr...ucts_id=88

John Despres

gene wrote:
Ha Ha.....John thinks my signalling method is funny! Poor guy, he's been drinking too much Decaf and falling asleep at the wheel!

Well, I still have a vision of you pressed up against the window yelling "Turn the heat DOWN!"

Gene, I have an idea... Got a stethoscope? Or access to one? Use that on the tube right at the chaff collector...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Jump to Forum: