Total Members: 7,785
Newest Member: Zabbaskeema

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in Your Roaster This Week?
seedlings

benpiff wrote:
Hi everybody, has anyone else bought beans from www.highcountrycoffee.com? I just began on my home roasting journey and the owner picked out some coffees that would be forgiving with lighter roasts. Great prices too. I just did about 6 ounces in my Popcorn Pumper with a PNG Tribal Peaberry and it is delightful! Definitely pushing the boundaries of my palate with all these juicy notes. Here's more details. http://highcountr...ucts_id=88

Ben, I've had PNG (Papua New Guinea) coffees before, but not a peaberry. Glad to hear you're on the roasting high road now!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

milknmycoffee
Koffee Kosmo - thanks for the great review on the Nicaragua del Cielo. Sounds like my kind of chocolate heaven!!!

Thanks for the recommendation for milk drinks....which I am rather partial to as one could deduce from my forum name ;)

Now I am wondering where I could find this wonderful bean since I don't see it listed at Sweet Maria's or Coffee Bean Corral.....

The YouTube video was also cool..nice pours and a beautiful machine...what is it?

If I did a video of my brews it would be of a burping moka pot and a stove top steamer hissing away...and me scrambling around the kitchen, tripping over the begging dog and cursing ;) No where near as elegant as yours...

bvwelch
Mexican SHG Pluma Oaxaca 'don Eduardo' and
Honduras Organic - Daniel Ordonez III Microlot

both roasted fairly light, and will be headed to Oceanacoffee as part of the Bean Swap ( I know, I am way late )

It has been cold lately, even in my unheated shop building. The old P1 was just roasting too slow. Today we sealed off the back room and tried to heat it up, but only managed the mid-50's F.

So, I placed the little ceramic space heater just inches away from the intake to the Poppery ( actually I switched to a Pumper but that's another story), and that did the trick -- had a nice 80+ fresh air going into the Pumper. -bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/05/2010 8:20 PM

gene
John:

Are you putting me on? Get a stethoscope to hear the crack? I can just see you with that "s...eating" grin!

Hey, if you're serious I'll try it. Beats getting my butt froze outside this winter listening for cracks.

Cracks are #1 when roasting in my book IMHO. I'll do anything to hear that crack. Smoke is #2 indicator. Color is #3. Hey, that would be a good member poll!

In winter, at night, I have extra light trained on the roaster exhaust outside. Try not to let my neighbors see me. "Hey Mabel, quick come see, what is our crazy neighbor up to again this late at night" "Oh no not again, he's gonna burn the neighborhood down yet"!!!!!

John Despres
Nope, not kidding. I used one to learn the sound of 1st and 2nd. Now I can hear 'em from across the room. The scope now hangs in my office where y 8-year-old can use to the this old man's heart.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

gene
ok John I checked ebay and craigslist.
Stethoscope with monitor or just plain stethoscope?

I'm ready to step up to the plate and try it, sounds like one of the missing links in my new life searching for coffee nirvana. ha
Thanks,
gene

John Despres
No monitor. Now here's the thing - You have to be willing to sacrifice a roast trying out the new method.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

gene
ok, John

Please describe your routine 11 minutes into the roast.
Thanks
gene

jlyon10
Today I am going to roast some monsoon malibar
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

Jimbo
Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Guji Sidamo.

Some for me, some for a friend who is contemplating taking the plunge into the wonderful world of home roasting.

Jimbo

John Despres
Hmmm. I'm assuming you mean when using the 'scope... For one thing, I use the medium chaff collector. Back in the day, I'd just put the diaphragm against the chaff collector every few seconds until I heard snapping, then I'd listen intently and learn it. I'd take the scope off and put it back on and off listening acoustically until I heard it without aids.

Search out a cooler spot on the chaff collector or tube and I'm pretty certain you'll hear 'em.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

drinkitblack
Did two 200g batches today. The first was Costa Rica Terrazu Montes de Oro, roasted to C+. Roast time was about 17:30.

The second batch was Ethiopian Gr 3 DP Yirga Cheffe, roasted just past the end of first crack, about 16:30 roast time. I've still got some beans from last weekend, so this will hold us for the week.

Awaiting the arrival of my Gene Cafe, and looking forward to not having to roast in the garage in the winter.

DavidG

milknmycoffee wrote:
Finally got around to roasting the Costa Rica - La Minita Tarrazu from Coffee Bean Corral.

Here is my roast profile. Time is in minute:seconds. Temp is in Fahrenheit. Readings taken about every 30 seconds. I used a WB Poppery I.

Time m/s Temp (F)
00:00:00 74
00:30:00 190
01:00:00 250
01:30:00 160
02:00:00 242
02:30:00 295
03:00:00 320
03:15:00 330
03:45:00 210
04:00:00 250
04:30:00 310
05:00:00 345

Milknmycoffee,

Thanks for sharing your profile -- very detailed, which I like. Quick question for you... your profile shows distinct drops in temp at 1:30 and at 3:45. What caused these? Was this when you loaded the beans or did you cut the heat for a bit?

Thanks again for sharing.

DG
Edited by DavidG on 02/06/2010 7:01 PM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

milknmycoffee
DavidG - The temperature drops are when I cut the heat for 30 seconds: first one was at 1 minute, the second at 3:15 minutes. I just turn off the heat switch, the fan stays on though.

drinkitblack - Please share your thoughts on the Costa Rica Tarrazu -Montes de Oro. I am interested since I too, have roasted this bean and really like it. Did you get yours from from Sweet Maria's? That is where I got mine.

John Despres
milknmycoffee, where is is your temperature probe? Are those bean temps or environment temps?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

milknmycoffee
John D. - My thermometer (Cooper-got from Sweet Maria's) is inserted in the bottom of the chamber about 3/4 inch from the bottom and a few centimeters away from the chamber wall. It comes in at an angle through a drilled hole on the side. This means that it spans across, most of the roasting chamber, the tip is literally in the path of the beans (on one side). It measures environmental temperature...but that which is literally in the midst of the beans. Hope this makes sense...if I had half a brain I would just take a picture...might have to do that later....

smatty1
Bali organic kintamanti natural! One of the fruitiest green beans I've ever smelled! Cant wait! Anyone roasted this one yet?

John Despres
OK, then...

Notes from the roasterie... Oooh, Yemen Mokha Ismaili roasted to 15 seconds into 2nd at 15:15 now cooling... Munch test, sweet, fresh & lively. Roasted weight 182 out of 227 - 20% moisture loss. I see some killer espresso next week!

Next up Nicaragua Limoncillo Pacamara DP. I love this one chocolate covered fruit candy in this coffee. SHG bean so hitting it a little harder starting out at 471F right off the bat.

Batch # 796... almost to the 400 pound mark!
227 grams into the preheated roaster, hot from the previous roast

Huge chaff from this one... Beans yellow at 6:30/390F

9 minutes ET is435F... 1st at 11:30/455F, nice rolling 1st, drop to 444 for a nice stretch to a kiss of second ...

Argh! 2nd at 16:00 Would have preferred 17:00, but... Ugh, divots... Next time a warming stage, perhaps...

Munch test is like eating candy at the first crunch, kind of creamy at the end. Very even roast. Finish weight 187/227 - 18% moisture loss.

Maybe one more tonight but now I'm heading up to see what the family is up to.

JACD

Respect the bean.
John Despres

milknmycoffee
Roasted several chocolate bombs this week...yum. All were roasted City to City +:

El Salvador Los Luchadores Pacamara-Holy moly Batman this is a chocolate bomb. Dense gritty milk chocolate & coco. Some chocolate dipped strawberries too. Roasted 9:15 min, hit 1st crack at 7:28.
Peru Organic Cusco Canelon -Tomas Ovalle-Another chocolate bomb. Slightly lighter in body than the El Salvador. Coco & nuts when piping hot. Dense coco takes over as coffee cools..turns into Coco in a cup at end. Roasted 9:08 min, hit 1st crack at 6:54.
Brazil Moreninha Formosa "Raisin Coffee"-Coco, coconut (yeah its in there), and nut skins. Funky dense grittiness with a touch of smoke. Like a Sumatra Takengon Classic with a broader range of flavors. Roasted 9:15 min, hit 1st crack at 6:54.
Costa Rica Guillio Francesca -Finca El Espino-just roasted tonight-have not tasted yet. Roasted 9:20 min, hit 1st crack at 6:58.

As always, I have detailed profiles of all of my roasts should anyone be curious....or bored enogh ;)

gene
"9 minutes ET is435F... 1st at 11:30/455F, nice rolling 1st, drop to 444 for a nice stretch to a kiss of second ...

Argh! 2nd at 16:00 Would have preferred 17:00, but... Ugh, divots... Next time a warming stage, perhaps..."

John, 435F at 9:00 is almost perfect for 1st roast....On 2nd curious about when 1st C happened on this one.
Just need to print your answers to plan my next roast late in the week.

And I really enjoyed Milknmycoffee's roasting notes today. Took me a year to smarten up and do what she's doing. Are females that much smarter than men or am I just extra dumb?
Please don't answer that. My wife accuses me of the latter. At my age I just don't get embarrassed anymore.

Hey, Milknmycoffee, in 5 days please begin posting your tastes on those four, especially the last one!
gene

bvwelch
Ethiopia Gr.3 Dry Process Yirga Cheffe and
Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca La Maravilla

I tried roasting some of this DP Yirg (yep, DP) this weekend. I never did get a roast that I was happy with. I've heard it is supposed to look uneven, but my roasts look terrible. I wonder if it will taste as bad as it looks.

On the other hand, the Guat seems much easier to roast. I hope it will taste good too. -bill

gene
Huge roasting question:

In my quest to have better roasts I am searching for a better method of hearing the cracks. I really need to hear the beginning of cracks.

John uses a stethoscope and got me excited a few days ago. My neighbor loaned me hers but she needed it back in a hurry this AM. Only prob is it has plastic on the end and would be a danger of melting against a hot metal object. And it is a Littmann, best in the industry and I was hesitant to use it. I thought, what about an engine scope?

Just ordered a stethoscope via Amazon for $27 + $13 shipping. Brand name is Lyall and it is an engine steth with two tubes. One is a hollow tube that transmits light sounds via air. Guinea pig!

Anybody out there have an ideas on this subject?
Maybe, I should have asked first.
gene

John Despres
No, clue, Gene. Mine is a medical 'scope 60 years old or older. I tried it again last night and all I could hear was the acoustic snaps even with the 'scope in my ears.

Please keep in mind I haven't used it in over two years. It was only a tool for a few roasts to learn the sound of 1st and 2nd cracks.

I hope it works for you.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
No, clue, Gene. Mine is a medical 'scope 60 years old or older. I tried it again last night and all I could hear was the acoustic snaps even with the 'scope in my ears.

Please keep in mind I haven't used it in over two years. It was only a tool for a few roasts to learn the sound of 1st and 2nd cracks.

I hope it works for you.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
From the roasterie:

3 batches of Kenya AA Kiriga Estate I'm testing for a local roaster Royal sent him too little for him to roast in his USRC.

# 1 -
Target roast: Full City
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Batch # 797
215 grams
Preheat 300F
Stage 1 Set 460F
Yellow at 6:00
460F at 9:30
Stage 2 1st at 10:31 - Drop to 449F
Drum cool at 14:30
End at 16:30
End weight 186g - 13% loss

Target roast: Full City
Batch # 798
227 grams
Preheat 300F
Stage 1 Set 455F
Yellow at 5:300
455F at 8:03
1st at 10:14 -
Stage 2 Drop to 444F at 10:44
Drum cool at 13:44
End at 15:44
End weight 198g - 13% loss

# 3
Target roast: Full City +
Batch # 799
227 grams
Preheat 300F
Stage 1 Set 300F for 5:00
Stage 2 Bump to 465F at 5:00
Yellow at 5:55
465F at 12:00
Stage 3 1st at 12:25 - Drop to 450F
2nd at 16:45
End at 16:45
End weight 193g - 15% loss

Now a batch for the neighbor who fired up his snow blower for every driveway and sidewalk on our street.

Coffee: Ethiopia Harar Horse DP Lot 17406
Target roast: City +
Batch # 800
227 grams
Preheat 300F
Stage 1 Set 300F for 5:00
Stage 2 Bump to 470F at 5:00
Yellow at 7:00
470F at didn't
Stage 3 1st at 12:50 - Drop to 445F
Drum cool at 16:50
End at 18:50
End weight 1887g -17 % loss
1 bean size stone in this one

That's it for now. I have more to roast but it's break time

John
Edited by John Despres on 02/11/2010 1:43 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: