renatoa, Siam3D

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in Your Roaster This Week?
beanflying
PNG Wahgi and an Ethiopean Yirg and tonight a new microlot from Mountain Top Estate :)
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

karlo
Flores Blue Dragon Organic, working out some lighter City & City+ roasts that I often blow past.
flavors.me/karlfi...
'when our depravity meets his divinity it is a beautiful collision' ~crowder

milknmycoffee
All coffees from SW's unless otherwise noted:

Costa Rica Cafetin San Martin-Nuts, florals, & some vague fruit notes that I could not ID. Roasted 9:30 min, first crack @ 7:15 min.
Ethiopia Organic Yirga Cheffe, Koke Coop-lovely wine soaked plums & blackberries w/ vanilla-Oolong tea. Roasted 9 min, first crack @ 7:04 min.

Beanflying -what type of Yirg did you roast? Just curious since I just roasted one as well :)

milknmycoffee
Colombia Tolima Florestales Maximinio Gutierrez (Sweet Maria's) - Apples, honey, golden raisins..yum!!!! Roasted for 9:20 min, first crack @ 7:15 min.

milknmycoffee
Kenya Kiambu Peaberry - Riuki - from Sweet Maria's - Loads of wine soaked fruit, Oolong tea, and spicey cherries. Roasted for 9:30 min, first crack @ 7:05 min.

allenb

milknmycoffee wrote:
Kenya Kiambu Peaberry - Riuki - from Sweet Maria's - Loads of wine soaked fruit, Oolong tea, and spicey cherries. Roasted for 9:30 min, first crack @ 7:05 min.

Hi,

Forgive me if you've covered this question before but I'm very curious as to your roaster setup (type of roaster and control method).

My reason for asking is twofold. One, I'm generally curious as to the type of roaster members are using but in particular, you seem to consistently achieve great roasts with many of the complex, available flavor notes intact. I long for the day that I can "consistently" get the full spectrum of notes the beans can offer. Someday I would love to be able to sit in on one of Steves (Sweet Marias) cupping sessions. Some of the time I do hit the "gold standard" but not always. It almost seems the phase of the moon on a particular evening is all it takes to throw a roast off.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

smatty1
Guatamalan Vista Hermosa Peaberry (Burman Coffee):
Some flatbeans in this one as stated by Burman. Good lookin roast. I shot straight down the middle on this one so I will hopefully end up between chocolatey and fruity. Smells really nice off the roast. Lookin fwd to tryin' this one!

milknmycoffee
Allen - sorry to be late in my reply...just busy gardening and drinking coffee.

I use a West Bend Poppery I, which has been modified in several aspects:

-heat and fan control circuit separated so as to allow the heater to be turned off and the fan kept running if so desired. This allows me to slow down the heating ramp up or cool the roast.

-internal thermostat set at a higher than factory spec. My husband simply turned the screw holding the thermostat two times. This allows me to roast more easily at 400 F and above.

-dial thermometer installed in the side of the roasting chamber...about 1" or less from the bottom.

All temperature control is manual. I cover the hood to raise the temp and turn off the heat (with the fan still running) to cool it.

Most of my roasts are City to City + level...with the odd Full City roast. I tend to follow Sweet Maria's roasting level recommendations since they really seem to be accurate. I find that with some beans, a lighter roast retains a broader flavor spectrum..especially true with coffees with fruit flavors. Conversely, I find that many Indonesian coffees need a darker roast to bring out their flavors.

Now this is simply my experience and preference. I am slowly discovering the art of roasting darker..without roasting the flavors out, courtesy of fellow forumites, Gene and John D.

If possible do some roast swaps. There was one put on through this forum and just reading the results was an educational experience.

I have done several swaps with Gene and been blown away by his dark roasts.....they are incredible. Even better is the fact that he sends along wonderful detailed roasting and cupping notes. He often sends a roasted sample along with un roasted beans so that I have a benchmark of sorts to roast by. Comparing my roasts to his has been an eduaction in itself. While he uses a different roaster, it is similar enough that I can compare the results and more importantly, employ his roasting logic to my roasting profiles.

I bought some pan roasted coffee from Opus that opened my eyes to just how flavorful a dark roast can be...not to mention how amazing pan roasted beans are. I also got some greens of the same variety as the roast I brought from him...and it was very educational to compare my roast to his....how the heck did he keep all that chocolate flavor while roasting so dark????

I drink my coffee with a little milk and sometimes sugar. I think the addition of milk can both amplify and obscure different flavors. For example, I think milk dampens a lot of citrus flavors but bring out more fruit flavors -especially flavors like peach, golden raisin, and apricot. I don't really like black coffee but I am experimenting with different brewing methods to see if this changes since I am curious to see what else my milk is obscuring!

I also drink my coffee very slowly. I can draw a cup out for over an hour...and several if I am busy doing something. I savor every drop. I don't gulp down coffee ever. If I don't have time to drink it slowly, I skip it. I approach it like the French do their food: something to be savored at a leisurely pace. I take my time to enjoy every sip.

Having said all of this, I freely admit that I do not always taste everything in the Sweet Maria's cupping notes! I have a rather lead palate compared to those folks! I too, would love to sit in on one of their cupping sessions!

I think good beans and great advice are the secret of my contentment in my roasts. Look at other people's roasting profiles....ask fellow forumites to share their roasting tips....that is what I did and still do. Take notes..notice patterns in your successful roasts...do certain regions do better with a certain roasting profile.

I have blown roasts too....often because I was rushing or distracted...not paying attention to the ambient temperature (like roasting next to an open window in winter will affect your roast!). Other times I decide to try some radical made up new roasting profile...and blow it BIG time. I once decided to do a Cinnemon level roast with a Kenya Kiambu Nyaga Peaberry..and ended up with a Lemon-Raspberry Tang Special..yuck!!!!

Sometimes it is that dang moon or who knows what....the roasting just does not go well.

Again, I would suggest asking for advice. This forum has a wealth of information in its members. Everyone is very generous with their information :) They are far more knowledgeable than me!

I have enjoyed reading about your roaster designs & tinkerings..please keep posting about them. My husband did the mods for my roaster but I am slowly learning. One of these days I am going to try and make one of those super deluxe 'roastzilla' machines that you more technically minded folks are playing with!
Edited by milknmycoffee on 05/21/2010 12:45 AM

allenb

milknmycoffee wrote:
Allen - sorry to be late in my reply...just busy gardening and drinking coffee.

I use a West Bend Poppery I, which has been modified in several aspects:

Sounds like you have a great setup and good to hear about folks mastering manual control with their roaster and not having to rely on automation. Also thanks for the tips/advice!

In my roaster this week: Salvador - Santa Rita - Natural - SHG from the Green Coffee Cooperative.

Roasted to just a tad beyond cinnamon and this particular coffee comes alive at this level with lots of chocolate, raisin, and berry. This coffee is a bit weird in that the outside of the bean looks like you took it to a vienna but is nowhere near that color when ground. This is the only coffee I've ever roasted that did this.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

smatty1
Nicaragua Pacamara Mama Mina Microlot:
Roasted FC and starting to smell really nice!

Koffee Kosmo
600 grams of Honduras - Los Bancos
Dont know what its like yet as its the first time I have roasted this bean

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Jimbo
El Salvador Cerro Las Ranas Pulp Natural (RFA)

Can't wait to try it in the cup after a couple of days rest.

smatty1

Jimbo wrote:

Hey Jimbo,
where did you get that stuff? Havnt seen that around and I'm always on the lookout for a DP central!:)

beanflying
I think I need a random bean selector, I have to many choices :)

Might go some of the Yemen Bani Ismail for home and an Indian Madikeri for work.

Two Hottops - modded

Jimbo

smatty1 wrote:

Jimbo wrote:

Hey Jimbo,
where did you get that stuff? Havnt seen that around and I'm always on the lookout for a DP central!:)

Hey Smatty,

I managed to score this with the Coffee Kids auction. Unfortunately I am away from home and don't have it with me to cup. Dang job.

jimbo

smatty1

Jimbo wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

Jimbo wrote:

Hey Jimbo,

Hey Smatty,

I managed to score this with the Coffee Kids auction. Unfortunately I am away from home and don't have it with me to cup. Dang job.

jimbo

Let us know how it is so we can live vicariously through you!:)

dja
Kona that I just received from the Java Gods,
dja attached the following image:
kona-roast.jpg

Edited by dja on 05/26/2010 7:27 PM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

seedlings

dja wrote:
Kona that I just received from the Java Gods,

Island coffee at it's finest!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
gonna sit here and quitely sip on my cup of K and see if I got the roast right. sure looks good in the picture. I had a couple of beans that were Charbucks or over done but I hit on a pretty even roast, it was into a rolling second crack when I pulled the plug on it and dumped into the cooling aparatus, used to collenders, couldn't find the fan for some reason.

I'm not real good at describing all the little hidden flavors as some people are, but the house sure smelt good after the roast had cooled for a while.

now the first sip of this ellusive bean that everyone so desires.

I hsve had 10% Kona while in Honolulu, nothing like this 100% stright from the cup, needs atleast two more days rest.

Ok on ot bigger and lazier things, gonna melt some CI today!
Yes after quitely sipping on my first cup of the morning I do belive that one to two more days will make a dramatic change in the way this bean taste.
Edited by dja on 05/27/2010 6:39 AM

dja
2 days now on the Kona roast, taste is a lot mellower. Not as sharp is the only way that I can describe it, yesterday was good but today is much better with the nutty earthy flavors coming out of the bean.
I haven't noticed the spice smell that was so wonderful to have in the house after roasting the beans, dearly do love the way that freshly roasted coffee makes the house smell.
I was a doubter about the price of Kona, and I can see where it would be worth more than lets say a nice Ethiopian, but I really don't see where its worth what they want to charge for it, it dosen't take anymore effort to grow Kona that any other coffee. enough of my ramblings.
I think that a little less time in second crack on the next roast, this bean hit 2C and it was runing away. gotta really watch it next time.
now if I could just find some eggs and toast to go with the Joe!Roflmao

smatty1
El Salvador Peaberry Aida's Grand Reserve!:
This was the last of it sadly. I hope it returns this year! Drooling in anticipation while it rests a couple days:)

Clifford
1/2 # of my Panama Gesha. I want to celebrate something.
May the Force be with your cup

beanflying
That's just not fair Clifford :@ hasn't been any of this around in Oz for a while now, love it in a Syphon.

My roaster this week NOTHING, it is in bits while I tinker with it's brain :up-late:

Two Hottops - modded

Clifford
I will enjoy mine in a siphon. I still have about 8# in my hoard from SM. I love Gesha, Just can't afford to replace it at 38.00 / #
Edited by Clifford on 05/29/2010 2:58 AM
May the Force be with your cup

smatty1
Bali Kintinmani Natural Process(dont care much for the wet hulled from SM's):
This stuff is so reminiscent of the Guatamalan Oriente DP of last year! I'm gonna buy some quantity of this stuff. Got this from coffebeancorral. Burman coffee also has this.

Ehiopian Harrar(from Burman coffee):
I gotta say my first go around with Burman I have been nothing but pleased with the quality of their beans. I havnt tasted a harrar that blew me away in 10+ years. This one smells great off roast. I hope this will be the comeback of Harrar:)

Jump to Forum: