renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
??Nicaraguan LImoncillo Pacamara (DP)
smatty1
Ok.....first off....I'm drinking this right now (roasted on 3/17) and it is very tasty! Very nice flavor...I would almost call it smokey chocolate.
My problem is a problem that perplexes me often.
I got this from SM and the roast recommendation was FC+. The description of flavors at this roast level are "Intense fruit and chocolate flavors,papaya, fruit punch, dried apricot, brandy, bittersweet.
Ok....so I got intense chocolate and bittersweet, but where is all the exotic flavor?
The green beans smelled really fruity and exotic and I was really excited to roast this one, so I'm a little disappointed and perplexed. I may have pulled it a little shy of FC+, but it was starting to sizzle, so it was right @ 2nd crack.
Anyone have some light to shed on this one?

BoldJava

smatty1 wrote:
"Intense fruit and chocolate flavors,papaya, fruit punch, dried apricot, brandy, bittersweet.
Ok....so I got intense chocolate and bittersweet, but where is all the exotic flavor?
The green beans smelled really fruity and exotic and I was really excited to roast this one, so I'm a little disappointed and perplexed...

Two things operative here. Tom's descriptors and your hope to achieve his subjectivity.

Tom "overdescribes" compared to what I experience. I attribute that to his palate (it is much more experienced, honed, and practiced than mine).

Practice. I find that by cupping a variety of coffees with a group of people (rather than just myself), my palate does improve. I used to experience "black pepper" in a coffee but didn't have any words for it. Someone said, "there is black pepper in there," and I realized that was the descriptor I had been reaching for and had been able to articulate.

Words of suggestion would be not to expect to mimic Tom's adjectives, keep buying good beans, and find others with whom to cup.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

John Despres
Spot on, B|J. It's all about taste buds.

I seldom taste Tom's full compliment of descriptors and flavors and I often find others of my own. I remember once a friend posted somewhere he tasted Jolly Rancher Peach in his cup of the day. While sharing a cup with a neighbor the other day, he commented he tasted that late August sweet corn sweetness and he loved it. It's going to be different for everyone. That's why some like liver and others don't, I suppose.

While reading Tom's descriptions, I try to keep in mind his roasting abilities far surpass mine and, very simply, he's not using a Gene Cafe but rather a drum roaster that will provide different flavors than my air roaster does.

Keep playing, keep tweaking and have fun.

If you want to post the particulars of your roast profile and the brew method with quantities, someone may have an idea how to boost something a bit. Certain flavors can be a holy grail - I remember the first time I tasted blueberry... There was much celebration and dancing in the kitchen!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1

If you want to post the particulars of your roast profile and the brew method with quantities, someone may have an idea how to boost something a bit.

Thanks for the input, guys!
This one was 300 for 5/446 for 4/465 for 1.5/482 for 3/456 to finish.
I stopped and pulled for manual cooldown @ 15.7 on the timer. It was starting to sizzle, signaling the prelude to 2nd crack. Couple of snaps as it came out of the roaster for cooldown.
A few days later...very tasty, but nothing even remotely resembling fruit punch, dried apricot, or brandy.
Brew method is french press.

John Despres
Hmmm, using the same profile, I might pull it a minute earlier. Or if you want to try another profile, instead of 482F, try 476F for 3m, 450F to finish. This will stretch the time before second begins and may draw out those flavors you're looking for.

When was first crack?

French press makes some pretty awesome coffee. Are you using roughly 10 grams or 1 tablespoon per cup? Perhaps your cup of coffee is a little thin? This is a recent discovery of my own, about which I'll post soon enough. I had lots of help here on HRO... More soon.

I think B|Java is correct; Tom has the million dollar taster. Sometimes I find his flavors, sometimes I don't. I think those, what I call lesser flavors, the dried fruits, and jam, are there, but I have to roast to find them.

I'm using a Gene Cafe and Tom's cupping with beans from his Probat sample roaster. Tom's actually cupping coffee and I'm making a cup of coffee. The differences are varied so I doubt we'll get the exact same flavors.

Given my own shortcomings and lack of experience, I doubt I'd get the same flavors Tom does even if I were slurping the same coffee from his cup. With my own spoon, that is...

Anyway, my point is enjoy the coffee in your cup, keep roasting, keep trying, and keep posting.

Most importantly, have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

BoldJava

John Despres wrote:

...Anyway, my point is enjoy the coffee in your cup, keep roasting, keep trying, and keep posting.

John

Amen. This is the beginning and the end.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 03/22/2009 8:09 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

gene
Great point. Tom is using a Probat and Tom's goal is is cupping, not enjoying a great cup of coffee, unlike us mere mortals. Hmmmm.
John , very deep and very true. You bring me back to earth again.
Have to modify my thinking yet again as I strive for taste nirvana in my roasting.

gene

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Hmmm, using the same profile, I might pull it a minute earlier. Or if you want to try another profile, instead of 482F, try 476F for 3m, 450F to finish. This will stretch the time before second begins and may draw out those flavors you're looking for.

When was first crack?

French press makes some pretty awesome coffee. Are you using roughly 10 grams or 1 tablespoon per cup? Perhaps your cup of coffee is a little thin? This is a recent discovery of my own, about which I'll post soon enough. I had lots of help here on HRO... More soon.

I think B|Java is correct; Tom has the million dollar taster. Sometimes I find his flavors, sometimes I don't. I think those, what I call lesser flavors, the dried fruits, and jam, are there, but I have to roast to find them.

I'm using a Gene Cafe and Tom's cupping with beans from his Probat sample roaster. Tom's actually cupping coffee and I'm making a cup of coffee. The differences are varied so I doubt we'll get the exact same flavors.

Given my own shortcomings and lack of experience, I doubt I'd get the same flavors Tom does even if I were slurping the same coffee from his cup. With my own spoon, that is...

Anyway, my point is enjoy the coffee in your cup, keep roasting, keep trying, and keep posting.

John

I think I'll try that alternate profile and see how that works.
First crack with this profile is pretty consistent @ 17.5--roughly 2 mins in to the 482 stage.
I fill my blade grinder about half way for a half french press. I could probably be accused of making too strong of a cup:)
....Another question on that alternate profile:
Given the conversation we had about the gene cafe heating up slowly and just going straight to max heat instead of in increments, would that alternate profile look like this:
300 for 5
476 from 19.5--16.5
450 to finish
My gene has probably never hit 482 and is probably closer to 476 in that max stage anyway.....IF the thermometer is accurate.....which brings another question. How accurate IS the temp readout on the gene?

John Despres

gene wrote:
Great point. Tom is using a Probat and Tom's goal is is cupping, not enjoying a great cup of coffee, unlike us mere mortals. Hmmmm.
John , very deep and very true. You bring me back to earth again.
Have to modify my thinking yet again as I strive for taste nirvana in my roasting.

gene

Tweak, tweak, tweak. That's what I do. Next month I may find an entirely different method for something and revise everything I know...

I mean it, this is way fun!

If I ever say I've figured it all out, it'll be ego talking, not fact...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

smatty1 wrote:
First crack with this profile is pretty consistent @ 17.5--roughly 2 mins in to the 482 stage.
I fill my blade grinder about half way for a half french press. I could probably be accused of making too strong of a cup:)
Given the conversation we had about the gene cafe heating up slowly and just going straight to max heat instead of in increments, would that alternate profile look like this:
300 for 5
476 from 19.5--16.5
450 to finish
My gene has probably never hit 482 and is probably closer to 476 in that max stage anyway.....IF the thermometer is accurate.....which brings another question. How accurate IS the temp readout on the gene?

s1, The thermometer is pretty accurate as far as I can tell. I once drilled little hole in the chaff collector for a thermometer of my own and it seems pretty accurate. The temperature reading is from the heater end of the machine. There's a sensor in the exhaust end for overheating purposes. I hope I don't have them backwards...

Do you start with your timer at 30 minutes? If so, my math says you reached first at 12.5 minutes into the roast. Seems about right with typical variables in mind. I have to do the math because I use a count up timer and not the countdown timer on the machine. The countdown timer is for presetting and letting the roaster finish itself which I never do.

Here's how I'd approach this one. I use the drum cooler for just a couple minutes to round out the roast and more complete chaff removal. And I base everything on when first crack begins.

For FC+

226 grams into the preheated drum
300F for 5m of warming/drying
Bump to 476F at 5 minutes
Drop to 450F at 60 seconds into first
Drum cool at 2 minutes after completion of first
External cool after 2 minutes of drum cool

OK, now I'll go out on a limb not knowing your roaster... Final weight will be 188 grams. If I pull that prediction off, I'll be thrilled.

I'll roast some of the Limoncillo today using this profile and see what I get.

For another bean I'd choose a different high. For instance, I roasted some Monsooned Malabar yesterday and I think I set my high at 469F. It's a much softer bean. First crack was about 12:15 on the count up timer if I remember correctly.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:
300 for 5
476 from 19.5--16.5
450 to finish

s1, The thermometer is pretty accurate as far as I can tell. I once drilled little hole in the chaff collector for a thermometer of my own and it seems pretty accurate. The temperature reading is from the heater end of the machine. There's a sensor in the exhaust end for overheating purposes. I hope I don't have them backwards...

Do you start with your timer at 30 minutes? If so, my math says you reached first at 12.5 minutes into the roast. Seems about right with typical variables in mind. I have to do the math because I use a count up timer and not the countdown timer on the machine. The countdown timer is for presetting and letting the roaster finish itself which I never do.

Here's how I'd approach this one. I use the drum cooler for just a couple minutes to round out the roast and more complete chaff removal. And I base everything on when first crack begins.

For FC+

226 grams into the preheated drum
300F for 5m of warming/drying
Bump to 476F at 5 minutes
Drop to 450F at 60 seconds into first
Drum cool at 2 minutes after completion of first
External cool after 2 minutes of drum cool

OK, now I'll go out on a limb not knowing your roaster... Final weight will be 188 grams. If I pull that prediction off, I'll be thrilled.

I'll roast some of the Limoncillo today using this profile and see what I get.

For another bean I'd choose a different high. For instance, I roasted some Monsooned Malabar yesterday and I think I set my high at 469F. It's a much softer bean. First crack was about 12:15 on the count up timer if I remember correctly.

John

Yes, I start my timer @ 30mins.
Thanks for that profile! I'll call that one RPjd1:)
I do not use a digi scale. I always buy 1 lb bags(so far anyway:)) so I split the bag in half using a measuring cup:)....a bit crude maybe:)

John Despres
A profile named after me... I'm honored and flattered. Thank you I hope it helps.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
A profile named after me... I'm honored and flattered. Thank you I hope it helps.

John

I'll keep you posted! Maybe you'll go down in HR history! :)

Jump to Forum: