Users Online
Guests Online: 16

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,663
Newest Member: sihar

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HG/BM Thermocouple placement/measurement?
Sherman

seedlings wrote:
Sherman, you can pick up more beans all this month in the auction, PLUS support some needy kids. Win-win!

Well, I'll certainly bid on some more beans at the auction, but whether I can actually win the bid is more dependent on the fight between my wallet and that of the rest of HRO's membership Grin.

seedlings wrote:I use 1.25 to 1.5 pound batches, and it works pretty well for me. If I get down to 1/2 pound batch the beans tend to fly out - but I see you have some insulation there.

My rationale has been to roast the smallest amount of beans that my setup will tolerate while producing acceptable and consistent results, then break down the variables and try to modify one at a time. I don't know about you, but if I can get 7 roasts per 5 lb. bag (ok, 6.667, assuming a 12 oz. load) while I'm learning the idiosyncracies and gotchas of both the setup and the bean, I'll end up burning through fewer beans to get to the finish line of finding a roast profile that suits my preferred brew method for a given bean.

The fewer beans that I have to burn through to get to this point, the more beans I can enjoy!

Regards,
-s.

Sherman

David wrote:
Best by test.
One of my first modified breadmachines had a DIY stirrer which kept drifting upwards, leaving some beans unshuffled at the bottom of the roaster, never seeing the light/heat of day. Tilting the whole machine cured it completely. So, I have never gone back to the flat machine arrangement. The roasts are as even as imaginable.

I'm going to have to try this one out. I wonder if I can get more accurate bean mass temps with a smaller load by tilting the basket...

Thanks for the idea, David.

Regards,
-s.
Edited by Sherman on 05/01/2009 3:38 PM

Jump to Forum: