Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Brazil Moreninha Formosa Raisin Coffee MicroLot....Roast help/Comments?
smatty1
Just wanted to share my experience with this coffee. I'm kinda scratchin' my head on this one.
Roasted in Gene Cafe:
Profile:
300 for 5
476 til C1
450 after 1 min of C1 til end.
Drum cool for 2 mins and remove for manual cool.
Total time= 16 mins.

Roasted on 4/29 and tasted this morning(5/1). Tasted like flat nutty water flavored beverage. Very pale and thin. Tasted like it was underroasted.
I just roasted another batch cause everybody has been raving about this coffee and it was killing me.
2nd batch was same profile, but this time total roast time was 18.7 min. Just @ the doorway of C2.
I am drinking some now (first time drinking after roast, but I figured if it was at least a *little* better, then it would be *much* better in a couple days) and it tastes like a darker roasted version of the first batch. Maybe it will be a different coffee in a couple days, but preliminary taste was unimpressive.

Any input would be appreciated....
Edited by smatty1 on 05/01/2009 6:35 PM
John Despres
A few questions -

What time did first begin?
What time did you begin cooling?

Here's a little guessing with the info you provided - I'd guess you hit 1st about 12 minutes into the roast (or 18m on the countdown)...

This bean, grown at 1200 meters might do better with more moderate heat at the end. If I remember correctly, you buy 2 pound bags, so you have 2 batches left.

Next roast try high heat at 462F and drop at 1m and continue as usual.

I'm also willing to bet your second batch will be quite delicious in 4 days. Resist the urge and you'll most likely be quite pleased. Then make 50/50 blend of the first two.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

John Despres wrote:
A few questions -

What time did first begin?
What time did you begin cooling?

Here's a little guessing with the info you provided - I'd guess you hit 1st about 12 minutes into the roast (or 18m on the countdown)...

This bean, grown at 1200 meters might do better with more moderate heat at the end. If I remember correctly, you buy 2 pound bags, so you have 2 batches left.

Next roast try high heat at 462F and drop at 1m and continue as usual.

I'm also willing to bet your second batch will be quite delicious in 4 days. Resist the urge and you'll most likely be quite pleased. Then make 50/50 blend of the first two.

John

First actually began @ 16.3 (usually C1 comes @ 17.6 or so). Cooling began @ 14 for the 1st batch and 11.3 on the 2nd.
I usually buy 1lb bags, but I have a lb of the Ipenema Tree Dry Brazil as well, so I'll try your recommendation on that one....
gene
I roasted Brazil Morneningha Formosa Raisin a few weeks ago on my GeneCafe after consulting John Despres. He knows the Gene and roasting profile frontwards, backwards and sideways! He is a real hero and never refuses a question. I have given him many in my attemts to get better.
It helped me to go back in history to when he and Eddie Dove first got their Gene's. I go back and reread every time I get bored. Great stuff.
I now carefully chart every roast. Here is the profile obtained with BMFR beans:

Set Gene on 472 with 225 grams and let her [email protected]:00 it was 401 degrees.
6:[email protected]
7:[email protected]
@8:00 was 438
9:[email protected]
10:[email protected]
11:[email protected]
ist Crack 11:33
@14:33 backed down to 462
15:30 hit Cool and took off around 16:30 after temp got below 300

After 4 days delicious!
Even better two weeks later.

Thanks John!
gene
Smatty:

One more tip using the profile above:

At 15:30 when you hit Cool button....lift the cover and leave up and put a fan directly on the cooling drum and it will back down below 300 degrees faster. I asked Tim Skaling, GeneCafe rep, and he said if it was around 300 wouldn't hurt electronics if you dumped beans and rushed drum back in to finish cooling.

Also don't bother to preheat---beans will just wallow around needlessly-notice my Gene got to 401 in 5 minutes.
Jump to Forum: