Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
GeneCafe Shutdown/electrical issue??
smatty1
I had a little issue tonight right as I was creeping up on 400degrees with some colombian pitalito:(
I wanted to switch outlets to see if there was a difference in time it takes my machine to ramp. To do this, I had to use a 2nd ext cord. I used a surge protector in addition to my normal heavy duty shop ext cord. Around 400degrees the machine shuts down. I felt the plug of the Gene Cafe and it was hot. I just noticed that the surge protector says it has a clamping voltage of 330v. I dont know anything about it, but maybe this was the cause? Can anyone offer their expertise?

edit:
I did roast a batch of yemen anesi sucessfully after switching back to my trusted outlet + shop extension chord, so it probably is not the machine.
Edited by smatty1 on 05/13/2009 9:36 PM
seedlings
Your GC won't ever approach the 330V "clamping voltage" unless there's a bolt of lightening hitting your house. It could be that the surge supressor is flaky.

Have you tried to measure the voltage at the outlet while the GC is running? Leave it plugged in and measure the parallel recepticle in the same outlet.

Whew, glad you're back in busines, though!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
John Despres
If there was a surge of some sort, I don't think the surge protector would continue working without, at minimum, resetting a breaker on it. I may be wrong, but aren't most surge protectors sacrificial and no good after a surge?

My guess would be the added extension cord was causing a drop in amperage and your roaster just shut down because it didn't like the juice it was getting.

Do you recall the warning code if there was one, or was the entire shutdown due to the protector blowing?

John
Edited by John Despres on 05/14/2009 8:35 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

seedlings wrote:
Your GC won't ever approach the 330V "clamping voltage" unless there's a bolt of lightening hitting your house. It could be that the surge supressor is flaky.

Have you tried to measure the voltage at the outlet while the GC is running? Leave it plugged in and measure the parallel recepticle in the same outlet.

Whew, glad you're back in busines, though!

CHAD

The weather was clear, so....
I dont have any equipment to measure voltage with. Should I get one?
smatty1

John Despres wrote:
If there was a surge of some sort, I don't think the surge protector would continue working without, at minimum, resetting a breaker on it. I may be wrong, but aren't most surge protectors sacrificial and no good after a surge?

My guess would be the added extension cord was causing a drop in amperage and your roaster just shut down because it didn't like the juice it was getting.

Do you recall the warning code if there was one, or was the entire shutdown due to the protector blowing?

John

There was no warning code. It just shut down. The last time I had technical issues was also during a roast of a colombian!:(...Is that a sign??
I have not tested the surge protector to see if it still works...I'll test it tonight, but your guess sounds more probable to me.
John Despres
HA! I doubt if Colombian beans would make a difference.

Where in line was the surge protector? Was it the last thing in line and the roaster plugged into it? Perhaps the over heated plug messed it up.

You can get a decent multimeter for very little money at your local hardware. Or simply plug in a low wattage light bulb and see if it dims/brightens as the heating element cycles on and off. Don't leave it there the whole time, it will be stealing valuable amperage. Just turn it on and watch it as you start your roaster.

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

John Despres wrote:
HA! I doubt if Colombian beans would make a difference.

Where in line was the surge protector? Was it the last thing in line and the roaster plugged into it? Perhaps the over heated plug messed it up.

You can get a decent multimeter for very little money at your local hardware. Or simply plug in a low wattage light bulb and see if it dims/brightens as the heating element cycles on and off. Don't leave it there the whole time, it will be stealing valuable amperage. Just turn it on and watch it as you start your roaster.

J

The surge protector was plugged into the wall/front of the line and everything was warm.
The GC did seem to ramp faster?
Jump to Forum: