Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Blending Coffee Beans
KyKoffee
I've roasted and drank only single origin coffee since I started roasting in 2003. There was one exception when I mixed a Costa Rica bean with a monsooned bean. The resulting musty 'swamp' water marked the end of my initial bean blending days.
I want to try again but I'd like to get ideas as to what beans generally tend to work well together. As far as a dominant (primary) coffee, I'd like to stay with high altitude beans from Central America, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Kenya beans.
Your thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

KyKoffee
Jim Wilkins
KyKoffee
Hottop & Behmor 1600, press
:trink25:

seedlings
http://www.roastm...rules.html

^ That's my favorite blending resource.

But, like you, I'm a single origin (SO) guy and don't do much blending besides the "last of this roast plus the last of that roast" to make a pot. Seems like whenever I blend, it takes away the highlights of each coffee and results in a more balanced, less spectacular cup. But, I know there are some fantastic blenders out there, and they'll be chiming in lickety-split.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
My wife and I generally go with Indonesian, low acidity coffees for our morning drip coffee.

But I like to add some Ethiopian or Yemen now and then to liven things up.

I've tried several of the blend ideas from this thread:

http://forum.home...ad_id=1073

Besides the Mocha-Java blend, I like the Brazil/Columbian, and also Brazil/Central (Guat. or Nic.)

Perhaps the 'Blends' appeal more to those of us that can't take the 'bright' coffees by themselves as SO... -bill

Koffee Kosmo
Hi and welcome Jim

Follow this
Kenyan 30 to 40% roasted slower so first crack is @ 11 to 12 min and pull at around 30 seconds in to second crack
Leave it to degas for 14 days

Nicaragua high grown bold for the remainder of the percentage
roast so first crack is @ 9 to 10 minutes and stop roast at the first signs of second crack

Leave to degas for 5 to 7 days

Those rest days are important so you need to stager your roasts
Then blend and enjoy a syrupy but complex coffee with velvet chocolate mouth feel followed with a fruity chocolate after-taste

Experiment with other South American beans in that percentage
But the Kenyan stays the same However it can be replaced with a good Yemeni bean

Enjoy
KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

tortillatree
i take a different single origin to church every sunday, and it's always a hit. i think some people come to church just to get my coffee. but anyway, i have run out of new origins to take them, so i started blending. i got really adventurous...i hope you're sitting down....i blended 50% robusta beans from uganda with 50% arabica beans from kenya. i got more positive comments about the coffee today than i ever have before. i might also add that people were extremely wired. robusta has quite a bit more caffeine than arabica. i might also add i brewed myself some 100% robusta, and it was pretty awful compared to what i'm used to drinking. but the blend...i don't know...if you have some robusta beans lying around, give it a try.
http://happymugco...
Drink Coffee. Be Happy.

bvwelch
I was sitting down, thanks for the warning! :-)

So, how much coffee are talking about per week? Tell us more about your roaster and brewing methods.

-bill

tortillatree
So I know no one here gets too excited about blending, but the one blend that even purists seem to be okay with is the Mokka Java blend. I started looking for a "standard" recipe for it, and wow, no such thing. I asked my coffee broker, and he said you can use anything from Java to Sumatra to New Guinea, at various roast levels, for the one half. And anything from Yemen, to Harrar, to Tanzania for the other half. And it doesn't even have to be 50-50. So...just curious. Any of you have a tried and true mokka-java recipe?

I also love how you can spell the blend anything from mocha to moka to mokka and no one corrects you. They all seem to be acceptable.

Oh, to get things started, here's my current favorite so far.
70% Sumatra Mandheling roasted about 15 seconds into the 2nd cracks
30% Tanzania just into the 2nd cracks

My 2nd favorite, and completely different, is:
50% Sumatra Mandheling roasted dark -- about 50 seconds into 2nd cracks
50% Harrar -- City+ Roast. No 2nd cracks.

Any insight as to which is more "traditional"??
Drink Coffee. Be Happy.

DavidG
On of my fav's for Mokha/Java is a 50/50 blend of Sulawesi FC+(or more) and Mocca Matari Yemen DP City+. I would consider this a pretty tradtional blend -- in-line with your 50/50 Sumatra Harrar.

I wonder if the earliest traditions of blend assume blending pre-roast and taking everything through the same roast profile?

Cheers,
David
Edited by DavidG on 10/26/2011 1:05 PM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

tortillatree
That sounds perfect. I'm out of Sulawesi, and I can't wait to get some and give it a whirl.
Drink Coffee. Be Happy.

oldgearhead
I usually blend in the grinder, and I like 3:1 (Brazil or Thai:Sumatra).
Recently I've been experimenting with blending in the roaster, and
I have had a bit of sucess with 3 parts of Brazil Sul de Minas, Organic
Pulped Natural with 1 part of Sumatra Gayo Lintang. I roast in an electric fluid-bed till the very start of second-crack. The secret seems to be in the resting, 4-5 days are best.

I can't wait for Chad's Harrar to arrive. I think I'll try Tortillatree's 1:1 Sumatra:Harrar roasts. I'll try both pre and post-roast blends.

Does anyone here blend in the roaster often?
Edited by oldgearhead on 10/29/2011 8:46 AM
No oil on my beans...

JETROASTER
""Does anyone here blend in the roaster often?""

Never. One type at a time is tough enough. Adding another borders on alchemy....for me.
But hey...if it tastes good. -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 10/29/2011 11:25 AM

wsikes
I just finished a roasting session using a W/E Pumper... the last of my Ethiopia and some Colombia beans. I cooled the beans and put them in mason jars. I had about an ounce of Ethiopia left that would not fit in a jar and saw that there was room in the last jar of Colombia... so, voila... my first blend. It was not planned but hopefully it will make decent coffee. I was pleasantly surprised how well the last batch of Ethiopia beans turned out... I just KNEW they would not be good... got them in a sample pack... but they were REALLY GOOD!
Anyway, my first blend... do I get a Brownie Button?
Bill
Edited by wsikes on 10/29/2011 4:59 PM
William Sikes

allenb
"Does anyone here blend in the roaster often?"

I've done a fair bit but only with coffees grown at similar elevations. Otherwise they end up coming out at differing roast levels. I guess this wouldn't be such a bad thing depending on the varietal.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: