renatoa, Siam3D

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
2009 Yirgacheffe update ??
KyKoffee
I'm on Sweet Maria's listserve and Tom gave an update on the political/commercial problems with the Yirg in early May. I've visited the SM site daily hoping to catch a mention of the Yirg in the new bean update. No luck (so far). I'd like to get an update on the situation. Even better, I'd like to buy some fresh 2009 Yirg greenies. I'll keep checking on the SM site and hoping.
KyKoffee
Hottop & Behmor 1600, press
:trink25:

seedlings
Remind me... isn't Ethiopia government "taking over" the coffee industry over there?

Maybe they think coffee is too big to fail. (bad joke, I know - entertaining myself only)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

cfsheridan
There are boxes of Yirgs on the water. Coop beans are moving, as well as some of the mill beans. Patience is the watchword. Most of the Yirgs didn't hit SM until June-July last year.

seehad

seedlings wrote:
Remind me... isn't Ethiopia government "taking over" the coffee industry over there?

Maybe they think coffee is too big to fail. (bad joke, I know - entertaining myself only)

CHAD

That's hilarious

This is not so funny.
http://www.bloomb...spHYLKSoo8

Bloomberg wrote:
June 15 (Bloomberg) -- Ethiopian police arrested and charged six managers from coffee exporting companies accused of ?hoarding? the beans earlier this year, a manager with one of the companies said.

Representatives of each of the six companies were detained and taken to the federal police headquarters in Addis Ababa last week, more than two months after the government suspended their exporting licenses and seized 18,000 metric tons of coffee from their warehouses.

They only served a day in jail... But it is clear they definitely intend to control all coffee coming out of that country.

Bloomberg also wrote:
The government exported 10,361 tons of the seized coffee through the state-owned Ethiopian Grain Trade Enterprise, earning $21 million, the Walta Information Center said last week. The remaining coffee was sold to other private exporters on the Ethiopian Commodity Exchange, it said.

The six companies exported about 40 percent of the 170,888 tons of coffee shipped from the Horn of Africa country last year, according to data from the Ethiopian Coffee Exporters Association.

Edited by seehad on 06/16/2009 1:33 AM

Jump to Forum: