Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Profile Controlled Roaster
Brainiac

boom wrote:
For now, I'm just rushing to finish before 5th November (final demonstration date). I still have LOADS to do!

I sure hope that you aren't demonstrating in the basement at the Houses of Parliament!!

http://en.wikiped...wkes_Night

Brian
stuartgrant

Brainiac wrote:

boom wrote:
For now, I'm just rushing to finish before 5th November (final demonstration date). I still have LOADS to do!

I sure hope that you aren't demonstrating in the basement at the Houses of Parliament!!

http://en.wikiped...wkes_Night

Brian

hahahahahahaha!

Good call!!!! "Remember, remember, the 5th of November..."

Made my day ;)

Stu.
seedlings
In my "top-10" favorite movies.

"Voilą! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. [giggles] Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V"
seedlings attached the following image:
v-for-vendetta-logo-wallpaper.jpg

Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
stuartgrant
Bringing things back OT... Couple of questions for you, Neil...

1. What temperature do your burners get to (I know it's a bit harder to tell with gas than with elec)?
2. How far are they from the bean mass (minimum, when drum is spinning)?
3. Have you any idea of approximately where the beans are in contact with the face plate when the drum is spinning? (ie. do the vanes bring them up to, say, 2-o'clock and leave the bottom of the bean mass at, say, 7-o'clock?)

Thanks for the pics, by the way! Excellent to see you bothering to keep us all updated even at this stage of the project! Cheers,
Stuart.
boom
Hey gents. Just a quick update on the machine:

I finished the machine at 11:50 on 5 November, 10 minutes before my final presentation. It broke so many time that I lost count, but it WORKED (for the most part)!!!!! The project won the following awards:
1st place for best project (97%)
1st place for visual presentation
Best entrepreneurial project award
Overall documentation mark of 94%

A HUGE thank you to everyone who helped out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good espresso should give you hair on your chest!

Nuova Simonelli Mac Cup S, Mazzer Super Jolly, 1962 Faema President 2-group Lever, 1960 Faema Urania Grinder, 2kg profile controlled roaster
jlyon10
Great Job!
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans
seedlings
Accolades well deserved!

CHAD
RoasterRob
Just read this tonite. Congrates Boom well done. So what does the future hold for you and roasters? Still looking to manufacturer.

Rob
NZ
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
boom
Hey gents

Well, the roaster manufacturing dreams have ground to a halt for the time being. The reality of manufacturing costs and the effort to enter the international market has set in, and I have decided that it is too difficult to bring my prototype machine to a production phase.

However, there is hope on the horizon. In a weird turn of fate, I have started my first job at an automation company. We develop and install Rockwell Automation and Allen-Bradley PLC systems for the mining industry throughout the world. We have 44 engineers on staff and work in America, Brazil, Mauritania (somewhere in Africa..who knew?) and Argentina.

The interesting part of this is that Probat also uses Rockwell Automations systems for their machines, meaning that out company can build automation systems for coffee roasters. We use SCADA and PLC systems and develop custom solutions for every project. In a nutshell, we can automate your roaster or roasting plant. That's what we do!! Drop me an email if you are interested at [email protected]

Kind regards
Neil Maree

Nuova Simonelli Mac Cup S, Mazzer Super Jolly, 1962 Faema President 2-group Lever, 1960 Faema Urania Grinder, 2kg profile controlled roaster
seedlings
Consider yourself blessed! What a story ThumbsUp

CHAD
John Despres
Excellent, Neil! And congratulations on the job.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
boom
Hey gents!

Version 2 is on it's way. This time it will be much, much bigger, and waaay better! I'll keep you posted

Regards
Neil

boom
Hey gents!

I'm well on my way to designing a new roaster, but I'm stuck at a problem: I want to use an AC motor this time, with a worm-gear to reduce the speed to around 40-rpm. Problem is, I don't know what kind of specs I'm talking about. Do you possibly know how many torques or hp I need to turn a standard drum? I've been shopping, but those things are really expensive! Around R4000 (that's around $500 US) will get me new one, but that's rather expensive!

Anyways, I'm building the machine for one of the biggest roasters in the Western Cape is SA. It'll be a fully functional 250g-1kg roaster, but with slightly easier manufacturing techniques (no complicated bends etc) and without a hopper or a carousel for mixing around the beans in the cooling tray. It will have a built-in chaff filter in the bottom. I'm giving my proposal on Tuesday, so I'd better get a move on!!

I'm thinking of selling it for around $2500 US. Do you think it's fair?

Regards
Neil

RoasterRob
Hi Neil

Sounds close to the specs for my unfinished drum roaster. The complex piping and do I go for 1 blower or 2 was a pain to sort. Also some of these blowers are way over priced.
I got an AC motor and drive - 90watts and geared down to 55rpm from memory. All the parts are at work. JMO but 40rpm is too slow for the drum.
Also from memory the motor was about NZ$400, can't be sure the project has been on hold for over a year. I wasn't going to bother with a stirrer in the cooling bin either.
For price US$2500 is cheap. There is a company here in NZ that have started building roasters recently their sample roaster (1.5kg max) is NZ$11K.
last prices I know of for sample roasters- SF 1lb NZ$10K,
STA 1lb - NZ$6K, Toper 1kg at least NZ$7K, S & J 1lb air roaster NZ$6k, Maggiolino 300gm - NZ$4K.

Rob vL
NZ

VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
boom
Thanks for the feedback Rob!

I've decided that, since I don't know what the ideal rpm, torque or anything else should be, I'm sticking with what I know about: DC motors! A simple windshield wiper blade 12V DC motor has enough torque and I can supply it with power and varying speed for about $50. I will however go for a belt and pulley system, instead of cogs and a chain...either that or a direct drive. The chain I used last year made quite a bit of noise, and I want the machine to be quiet.

As for the selling price, I'm aiming for it to be very, very affordable by using easy manufacturing and assembly techniques. The material will still be of the highest grade, and the finish must be perfect (thank goodness for laser cutters!). But have another trick up my sleeve that will have the home roasters on their toes. But first I need to refine my design...

Neil

boom
Good day Gents!

After a long leave of absense, I am proud to say that my roaster project has lead to some very interesting developments. In 2009, I started working underground in the mines in South Africa, but soon discovered that there is no fresh coffee to be found while digging for platinum. So I opted to live the dream, and started my own coffee roaster manufacturing company. After some digging, I found an investor who is a legend in the local coffee scene, and he is giving me an office and even a factory to producte the machines in. We decided to focus on a 5kg machine, but others are soon to follow. The specs of the machine you see below are:

Mild and Stainless Steel (SS) construction
Integrated front handle and sample spoon (machined SS)
Optional soft-on LED lighting (like the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia)
Pull-out chute to dump the cooled beans
Upper and lower bean agitators for the cooling tray reduce maintenance
Dual-wall clip-on SS piping (custom manufactured)
Custom built LED temp indicator with 2 set points
100mm gas pressure gauge
Integrated ignition, pilot flame and main gas valve
5kg optimum batch capacity
Custom designed LPG or Natural gas burners
Custom 5mm thick SS drum
Convection and conduction heating
Full air control through drum and cooling bin
Motors engineered for optimum torque range from Italy
Variable speed drive for drum motor from Italy
Extraction fan imported from Germany
Integrated chaff filter
Internal hinge for front door
Easy to remove chaff and panels
Satin finish SS panels and mild steel panels of any colour

The profile control system that I developed for my thesis will off coarse feature later in the year. So too will an external chaff filter / destoner combo, and a 1kg sample roaster that can be assembled by the user. 12kg machines will only be available in 2012.

Here is a rendering of the machine so far. I am meeting with my manufacturer tomorrow to discuss the design, and then we are almost ready to fabricate. All that's left is the chaff filter and the final touches. Then the machine needs to be certified by the SA gas association.

For more information, please contact me on [email protected]
boom attached the following image:
5kg-rendered-jpg.jpg

Edited by boom on 01/11/2011 12:48 PM

boom
What? No takers?

seedlings
Whoa, boom! That is one sexy-elegant roaster that anyone would be ecstatic to show off in a shop (or garage... if only)! All the best to your new endeavor!

CHAD
JETROASTER
It looks gorgeous! You will get takers. I'm bracing for the price-tag!
Best of luck on your endeavor. -Scott
Unta
OK I'll bite...how much?
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
Jump to Forum: