Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
05/23/2022 10:46 AM
abiy welcome cup

renatoa
05/18/2022 6:13 AM
gnosis coffee roasters and Terry Hauser, welcome !

allenb
05/15/2022 7:00 PM
lsawade welcome Welcome

renatoa
05/15/2022 9:13 AM
Welcome, Pinofly and Alex008

allenb
05/12/2022 7:47 PM
CafficitoeTim and pmf2000 Welcome! Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,580
Newest Member: abiy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Grinding on a budget.
smatty1
The consensus here seems to be in conflict with this @ sweet marias. I look to them to be a pretty good source. Any comments on this?:

Everyone talks about "conical burr grinders" as a requirement for good coffee brewing. But the fact is that pour-over or automatic drip brewing does not require these expensive mills. The humble little blade grinder is a remarkable little machine, long-lasting, low-maintenance, and not $100! My only gripe with blade mills is that some struggle to grind even the smallest amount of coffee ... and if you have to grind for a longer time, the motor will start to heat up the coffee grinds -not a good thing. But the C-Mill electric coffee grinder has a very strong and precise motor. It beats the pants off the Krups or Braun mills out there, The coffee beans don't get crushed, but rapidly cut. important so the coffee isn't heated in the grinding process (which can damage the coffee flavor). The C-Mill grinds 1.6 oz of coffee at a time. It is 7" tall, about 4" in diameter.

Bodum C-Mill, White $25.50

seedlings
The key words in the well-constructed phrase are "requirement for good coffee brewing."

;)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 06/30/2009 12:23 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

smatty1

seedlings wrote:
The key words in the well-constructed phrase are "requirement for good coffee brewing."

;)

CHAD

So..."Good" vs "Outstanding"?:)

Koffee Kosmo
This grinder comparison test against the big daddy of all grinders The Mazzer Robur called the Titan Grinder Project

Its an interesting read full details on this link
http://www.home-b...t4499.html

KK

I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

bvwelch
Hey there KK, since you mentioned that neat article -- Titan Grinder Project-- please note that a lowly hand-grinder did quite well up against those Titans!

Someday I may buy an expensive grinder, but for now, a hand grinder suits me fine.

With a modified popper or bread machine roaster, a hand-grinder, and a cheap plastic pour-over filter holder, I can enjoy very good home roast even on a shoestring budget. -bill

smatty1

Clifford wrote:
I use a Baratza Virtuoso The company sell refurbished grinders. There is one selling for $69.00 which should be OK for french press

http://www.baratz...

Just got mine today! Testing out grinds. Anyone use the Meistro? What setting should I use for french press? 36 seemed pretty fine and 40 is the coarsest setting it has. Maybe I've just been corrupted by my blade grinder, but I have never ground as fine as the meistro is grinding...
Maybe I need to back off on the amount of coffee I use for a press? I currently use about 2 oz for a half press in the morning. ?
Edited by smatty1 on 07/21/2009 5:40 PM

Clifford
Yesterday, my sister calledmr and said that her grinder had given out. I ordered a Barazta Maestro Plus refurb for her. She was happy to be gettibg such a fine grinder.
May the Force be with your cup

seedlings
I haven't used one, smatty. If 36 is fine, perhaps it's not a linear relationship and it gets more coarse per click past there? Try 40 and go from there.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
This is a very interesting thread:

my Great, Great Grandmother "Dutchie" used to grind her coffee
with a rolling pin in a silk pouch; she would talk over the blackest coffee in San Francisco and roll away for the next pot!!

ginny

Shock
Grin

John Despres
Hey, Smatty1, congratulations. Baratza makes good grinders. I upgraded from my Virtuoso to a Mini Mazzer for espresso grinding.

How much is half a press? I have three presses and half of one doesn't match half of another.

As a rule of thumb, I weigh out my beans - 8 grams per 5 ounces of water. Once you start eliminating that variable, you can start chasing the perfect grind for your cup.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Clifford
I have bee using 30 grams for a 16 oz cup. Is that too much?

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Hey, Smatty1, congratulations. Baratza makes good grinders. I upgraded from my Virtuoso to a Mini Mazzer for espresso grinding.

How much is half a press? I have three presses and half of one doesn't match half of another.

As a rule of thumb, I weigh out my beans - 8 grams per 5 ounces of water. Once you start eliminating that variable, you can start chasing the perfect grind for your cup.

John

I must say the cup this morning was eye opening. Pretty striking difference in the flavor of the cup:)
My press is 32 oz, so I use 2 oz of coffee per 16 oz of water. Grind on 40 was still pretty fine.....

Koffee Kosmo

bvwelch wrote:
Hey there KK, since you mentioned that neat article -- Titan Grinder Project-- please note that a lowly hand-grinder did quite well up against those Titans!

Someday I may buy an expensive grinder, but for now, a hand grinder suits me fine. -bill

I own 2 hand grinders as well am MG Italian timber box grinder & a brass Turkish grinder because I like Turkish coffee

I am still of the opinion as CHAD has stated that used commercial grinders offer the best value based on grind results and taste in the cup

I will explain that a grinder is the like the carburettor in a car

Car- The better the fuel/air mixture the better performance
Grinder- The better the grind the better the taste

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

bvwelch
KK, I'm more than willing to try a used commercial grinder, should one become available, within my budget.

Meanwhile, a good hand-grinder makes a great cup of coffee and is a huge improvement over my blade grinder.

I think I'll go grind the morning coffee now - see you later! -bill

John Despres

smatty1 wrote:
I must say the cup this morning was eye opening. Pretty striking difference in the flavor of the cup:)
My press is 32 oz, so I use 2 oz of coffee per 16 oz of water. Grind on 40 was still pretty fine.....

How is the fine-ness of the grind affecting your cup? Is it too strong, too week, or is the sludge too thick?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

How is the fine-ness of the grind affecting your cup? Is it too strong, too week, or is the sludge too thick?

John

Yesterday it seemed too strong on a half press. This morning I've made a 3/4 press and it's better. Sludge is about the same as it always was...

John Despres
Once you nail down your coffee/water ratio, try pulling back your steep time as well. It's a whole new world isn't it?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Once you nail down your coffee/water ratio, try pulling back your steep time as well. It's a whole new world isn't it?

John

I pulled back my steep time from 4 mins to 3 a month or 2 ago and have been impressed by a much cleaner cup. Would you pull back steep time even more from 3 mins? The water blackens real quickly now.
Are you saying my fine grind is "fine"?:)
Can I get a pic of *your* grind for a press?....

John Despres
Just did a little math converting ounces to grams... You're using about twice as much coffee as I do. Therefore very strong coffee, in my opinion. My ratios is based loosely on the SCAA recommendation.

For 16 ounces of water, try one ounce of coffee, or, to be exact and match my ratio, 0.9030 ounces. One ounce is close enough. Or 25.6 grams.

The much more uniform grind you're getting is making a huge difference and will change things remarkably. I steep this ratio for 5 minutes.

I don't really have a way to photograph my grind. My lenses doesn't include a macro lens or setting and my close up lens is more for copy work so it won't do well for grind details. Besides, it doesn't matter what my grinder does; we're gonna get yours working to it's fullest capabilities.

Grin

John
Edited by John Despres on 07/23/2009 8:31 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Just did a little math converting ounces to grams... You're using about twice as much coffee as I do. Therefore very strong coffee, in my opinion. My ratios is based loosely on the SCAA recommendation.

For 16 ounces of water, try one ounce of coffee, or, to be exact and match my ratio, 0.9030 ounces. One ounce is close enough. Or 25.6 grams.

The much more uniform grind you're getting is making a huge difference and will change things remarkably. I steep this ratio for 5 minutes.

I don't really have a way to photograph my grind. My lenses doesn't include a macro lens or setting and my close up lens is more for copy work so it won't do well for grind details. Besides, it doesn't matter what my grinder does; we're gonna get yours working to it's fullest capabilities.

Grin

John

That makes sense. I'll back off to an ounce and increase steep time back to 4 mins and go from there.

John Despres
Hold on to your socks. They might get blown off by what you discover.

Roflmao
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

Roflmao

Socks firmly affixed. Check.
I can feel myself getting snobbier by the minute!:)
When I get home this evening, I'll try to take a pic of the grind...

Clifford
Thanks John, I will try reducing the grams from 30+ per 16 oz on my next cup I only steep mine for 4 minutes.

I'm not sure about getting snobbier; I am already down the rabbit hole and am wandering around with Alice in Coffeeland. I think... Grin
Edited by Clifford on 07/23/2009 11:47 AM

smatty1

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

Roflmao

Socks firmly affixed. Check.
I can feel myself getting snobbier by the minute!:)
When I get home this evening, I'll try to take a pic of the grind...

I tried to take a pic of the grind, but my wimpy little powershot was not having any of it. Is there a pictorial of grind per brew method like the one for degree of roast?

John Despres
I don't know of a grind pictorial. I suggest playing around a bit yourself.

If you do, make the grind the only variable. Keep your dose, steep and amount of water exactly the same every time.

Make notes, repeat.

Have fun.

John
Edited by John Despres on 07/25/2009 6:00 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: