topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

06/15/2021 5:58 PM
welcome cup Coultkr

06/11/2021 1:25 AM
Welcome, Anthony, Max9

06/10/2021 3:11 AM
Welcome Roger Thompson

06/02/2021 8:46 AM
imsofiawilliams Welcome

06/01/2021 5:44 PM
Welcome Raime

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe - Very Hot Chord!?
smatty1
I noticed this evening during roast that the chord was very hot. It was not hot all the way up; just at the plug and the 1st 3 inches of chord. I am plugged in to a heavy duty ext chord. This is not the first time I have noticed this, but I dont think it has been happening for too long(?)....
Anyone know what's going on?
Koffee Kosmo
These are all the obvious things that can do it

1) Loose or rubbing wires in the connection
2) loose connection between the extension cord to machine cord
3) length of extension cord to long

Try an experiment
Full roast cycle
plugged direct into the wall plug (no extension cord)

KK

I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
stereoplegic
Hmmm. Hot chord? Sell the song, quick! Cord, see post above. What's the guage of the extension cord? Should say on the chord itself. Next, what's the wattage of your roaster? What do you use to roast?
stereoplegic
I just said "chord" as well. Grrr...
smatty1

Quote

Koffee Kosmo wrote:
These are all the obvious things that can do it

1) Loose or rubbing wires in the connection
2) loose connection between the extension cord to machine cord
3) length of extension cord to long

Try an experiment
Full roast cycle
plugged direct into the wall plug (no extension cord)

KK


Cord gets fire hot plugged directly into wall. Just tested it.
Koffee Kosmo
Is it still under warranty ?
if not
Play it safe & have an electrician test it
It should not do that

But if another HR member with a Gene Cafe Roaster could do the same experiment to confirm, that will at least guide you.

I think John Despres has a Gene Cafe
Where are you JD Shock

KK
Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 07/08/2009 7:44 PM
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
John Despres

Quote

Koffee Kosmo wrote:
Is it still under warranty ?
if not
Play it safe & have an electrician test it
It should not do that

But if another HR member with a Gene Cafe Roaster could do the same experiment to confirm, that will at least guide you.

I think John Despres has a Gene Cafe
Where are you JD Shock

KK


Shock RIGHT HERE!

Super ridiculous busy these days - family of 4 from Mexico visiting for the month, a new show opening this evening, two other shows in the design phase, one feature film on the desk, another feature asking after me. And then I sleep.

I'll be roasting this afternoon and will check it out. I have a dedicated circuit for my Gene Cafe, so I don't know if I'll have a problem.

I'll be back.

John
Edited by John Despres on 07/09/2009 10:20 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

Quote

John Despres wrote:

Quote

Koffee Kosmo wrote:
Is it still under warranty ?
if not
Play it safe & have an electrician test it
It should not do that

But if another HR member with a Gene Cafe Roaster could do the same experiment to confirm, that will at least guide you.

I think John Despres has a Gene Cafe
Where are you JD Shock

KK


Shock RIGHT HERE!

Super ridiculous busy these days - family of 4 from Mexico visiting for the month, a new show opening this evening, two other shows in the design phase, one feature film on the desk, another feature asking after me. And then I sleep.

I'll be roasting this afternoon and will check it out. I have a dedicated circuit for my Gene Cafe, so I don't know if I'll have a problem.

I'll be back.

John


JD to the rescue!:) A friend of mine said he thought it was a heat element working too hard and sucking too much power from the wall....
Sounds like the most logical explanation yet. I just got off the phone w/ Tim Skaling and he's emailing the manufacturer. If they dont know, he said he'd send me a new heat fan......
John Despres
If in fact the heater is working too hard, there could be a few other problems/causes.

Is your chaff collector clean? Not just dumped out, but stripped down and washed. The outer screen you can see from the outside could be totally clogged with very fine chaff thus impeding air flow.

Is your screen below the fan very clean? This could also impede air flow. Tim recommends slitting it with an x-acto knife, allowing a cleaner airflow. The screen will collect a light brown, very fine dust clogging it if not vacuumed regularly. Tim removed mine on one of it's service visits. Now I have to vacuum out the fan itself, which means stripping down the machine on a regular basis.

I was delayed yesterday and am on my way to roast shortly. Reports coming soon.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
ginny
smatty1

yes without ? you are sucking too much power.

the issue is from your outlet or the machine??

dump the cord (could be bad), test your outlet with a meter, use another outlet to roast (meaning one not on the same circuit as you are using now),

see what happens...

if we do not hear from you...

ginnyShock

electrical issue can be a pain in the butt, they can also be simple, a loose wire in the wall at plug, old cord would be my first concern.

go from the wall and turn off the power to the outlet, use a separate outlet, see what happens, your outlet could be working at 1/2 pace.

please let us know.
ira
It most likely means the connection between the cord and the plug has been strained. Commonly caused by unplugging by pulling on the cord. Go to the hardware and get a high quality replacement plug and replace it and it will be working properly again. make sure to get the wires oriented correctly so the neutral and hot go to the correct sides.

Ira
I wrote RoasterThing
www.www.roasterthing.com
smatty1

Quote

John Despres wrote:
If in fact the heater is working too hard, there could be a few other problems/causes.

Is your chaff collector clean? Not just dumped out, but stripped down and washed. The outer screen you can see from the outside could be totally clogged with very fine chaff thus impeding air flow.

Is your screen below the fan very clean? This could also impede air flow. Tim recommends slitting it with an x-acto knife, allowing a cleaner airflow. The screen will collect a light brown, very fine dust clogging it if not vacuumed regularly. Tim removed mine on one of it's service visits. Now I have to vacuum out the fan itself, which means stripping down the machine on a regular basis.

I was delayed yesterday and am on my way to roast shortly. Reports coming soon.

JD


I just replaced heat fan. Machine is very clean. Tested machine. Cord still getting fire hot:( I guess I'm waiting til monday afternoon to hear what the manufacturer says. I see a bag of mass produced coffee in my future:(
John Despres
When you roast, do you set up and strike every time? Meaning are you plugging and unplugging the machine a lot?

As Ira said, you may simply need a new cord.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

Quote

John Despres wrote:
When you roast, do you set up and strike every time? Meaning are you plugging and unplugging the machine a lot?

As Ira said, you may simply need a new cord.

John


I roast usually twice a week. I do not leave the machine plugged in. It is stored away after every use, so I guess yes is the answer to that. I'm completely unexperienced at fixing things and such. The only reason I know how to replace the heat fan is because Tim walked me thru my first one. I have no idea how to replace a plug??
Koffee Kosmo
Its not hard to replace
Here is an idea, get an unused computer cable and cut off the computer plug end, then strip the cable and connect it to the machine in exactly the same way, one cable and color at a time to avoid mistakes

KK


I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
John Despres
The Gene Cafe has an ungrounded cord so a computer cord may be confusing.

Now that you've had your roaster open, you're past that hump. In case you'd like a little help, here's a great tutorial by our own Eddie Dove, http://docs.googl...66gvz529c3

A two wire cord is all that's needed. I don't remember how it attaches to the machine - solder or screws. If it's solder, I'll bet you have a friend who can help. If it's screwed in, you should have no trouble at all.

The GC comes with a 14 gauge cord. Best to replace with the same size.

When replacing, note carefully the two sides of the cord. One has ribs on it - note where that one hooks up and repeat with the new cord.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1
Back in business. Had a friend help me lob off five inches of chord and replace the plug. Working fine now. Thanks for the help all:)
Roasted some Bali Blue Moon for myself last nite, and Brazil Ipamema and Organic Honduras for my friend who has been also concerned that my operation was down:)
Koffee Kosmo
Now that's a good news story
I am happy that your up and roasting again
Wooo Hooo ThumbsUp

I must say that the answers from the forum members to your problem were pretty spot on :Clap:

KK
Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 07/16/2009 6:13 AM
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
John Despres
WOOHOO! Indeed.

Plugging and unplugging can wear out those cheap molded plugs. I'm glad it was a simple fix.

Props to Ira for nailing it on the head!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to upgrade Gene Cafe WHAT SHOULD I BUY OR MAKE 7 09/24/2020 3:05 PM
Gene Cafe Lifespan Gene Cafe Roaster 15 06/30/2020 11:33 PM
Cleaning the roast chamber on a Gene Cafe Gene Cafe Roaster 4 06/29/2020 7:36 AM
Question for Gene Cafe Roaster Gene Cafe Roaster 5 06/08/2020 7:15 PM
Gene Cafe For Sale JAVA TRADING COMPANY 1 02/25/2020 8:09 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2021 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX