Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Question regarding aluminum window screen.
Beaner
I've made a "soup can" roaster out of a 2lb coffee can but I really dislike the noise of the beans banging against the walls, I want to hear the crack more easily.

What I thought of doing is lining the innner cylinder wall with aluminum window screen thinking that it would diffuse the sound some.

I read the thread about safe metals:

http://forum.home...ead_id=580

and concluded that it would be safe but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case.

Thanks for any feedback.

(mod edit - made link clickable)
Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 07/25/2009 6:26 PM

Koffee Kosmo
There are different grades of aluminium as there is stainless steel

I feel that the fineness of the mesh in this case is its Achilles heal and would be unsuitable

Best way to stop noise is to insulate the outside of the tin

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Beaner
In what way would it be unsuitable? I know it will burn if held right over an open flame but the temp inside the can doesn't get above ~420.

And I can't insulate the outside of the can since I rotate the can over a single BBQ grill burner.

If I deffinately can't use the screen maybe I'll line the inside with a piece of aluminum sheet. Beans make less of a "ping" when they bounce on that.

-Ron-

Koffee Kosmo

I can't insulate the outside of the can since I rotate the can over a single BBQ grill burner.

Ahh that would be a problem

Its the fineness of the Aluminium screen that I have an issue with
If it is repeatedly heated and hit by beans it will crumble apart

Can you get some stainless steel mesh instead ?

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

John Despres
I'm not sure what KK has in mind but the screen will trap bits of chaff and be messy.

Add a couple layers of the aluminum. I'm sure it will muffle the higher pitch of the beans clanging around can yet allow the slightly lower pitch of the cracks to come through with no problem.

It's worth a try anyway.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dBndbit
How about aluminum foil? Heck, I don't think the aluminum screen sounds like such a bad idea.

But also I know many people are always buying hard beans. You know, SHB? So maybe you could buy some softer beans?
Grin
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

John Despres
Heh, heh,heh.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Beaner
I guess I can see where chaff might collect. I made my first roaster thing a couple of weeks ago to try in my mom's Ronco type rotisserie that she never uses.

I just took two 12 oz empty tuna cans and made a cylinder out of aluminum gutter screen. Attached the screen to the inside of one can and left the other can to slide on & off. I didn't have any green beans when I made it and then later found out that some beans would fall through the screen.

So I took some window screen and wrapped it around the outside of the gutter screen/mesh to kep the beans in. A couple of beans would get trapped between the two screens but I didn't see any trapped chaff.

I think I'll go ahead and try the window screen on the can since it isn't much effort and if the chaff does like you say then I'll just tell myself, "well he told me this would happen". ;)

Just for grins, here is the thing I made. The can on the left is what I'm using till I get my cheesy mini drum roaster finished:
Beaner attached the following image:
first-roaster.jpg

Edited by Beaner on 07/25/2009 8:56 PM

John Despres
Hey, Beaner,

If it roasts coffee, it ain't cheesy. :Clap: Even if it doesn't it's still not cheesy.

This is a cool project, keep us posted.

John
Edited by John Despres on 07/25/2009 8:42 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

rcwarship
Heck yeah, I'm with you Beaner. If you got it, use it.........if it works, great......if it doesn't, rework it.
I like the simplicity of the tuna cans/screen awesome stuff.
Jon
Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand.

dBndbit
About fine screen trapping chaff, I use a pretty fine SS screen, 16 per inch or about a 0.052" square hole after accounting for the width of the wire. About 73% permeable for air and IR. It retains only a little chaff in the drum. Most is pummeled by the bean pile and it comes out as fine bits, almost powder, in the bottom pan of the roaster. I just vaccuum it up after several roasts and I've never had a chaff fire. (yet)
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

seedlings
Awesome roaster.

I've used shiny window-repair aluminum screen 0.5" from the business end of a heatgun without incident. Try screen, try foil. I know how annoying the "bean circulation" noise is! It is an obstacle on MOST roasters that I can think of.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: