Print Thread
Brown Sugar and Espresso BBQ Sauce
Dan

Makes about 6 cups. Intended for smoked chicken, but can be brushed over port ribs during the last five minutes of grilling or smoking.

2 T Olive oil
1? C White onions, chopped
6 Garlic cloves, chopped
2 T Minced seeded jalapeno chili
? C Dark brown sugar (packed)
2 T Chili powder
2 T Molasses, light
2 T Fresh cilantro, chopped
1 t Cumin, ground
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with juice
1 C Low-salt chicken broth
3 Double-shots of espresso

Heat oil in heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno; saut? until onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add brown sugar, chili powder, molasses, cilantro, and cumin. Stir until molasses dissolves. Stir in crushed tomatoes and juice, broth, and coffee; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, about 45 minutes, stirring often until sauce thickens slightly and is reduced to 4 cups. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.

(my 900th post!)
Edited by Dan on 08/11/2009 9:50 PM

John Despres
I used a dry rub on chicken this past weekend.

Quantities are unknown, but it was made up of:

Cumin, FC+ Yemen Sharasi, chili powder, brown sugar, black pepper, paprika.

Yum!

I'll need to try Dan's next.

John
Edited by seedlings on 08/13/2009 2:24 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
Dan, that is ON MY LIST to make! I'll be subbing in tomatoes and jalapenos from the garden out back as we're trying to find things to do with them. May even throw in a habanero or some thai peppers! Also, did you puree the mix?

John, espresso grind on the Yemen?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 08/13/2009 2:25 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
CHAD, the grind was close to salt, but not as fine as espresso.

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Dan
I've not tried the sauce yet, but I hope to this weekend. The recipe was in the latest issue of Bon Appetite. It didn't say anything about pureeing the sauce, or how fine to chop the ingredients. I figured I'd puree it before bringing it to a boil and reduction. Or just chop finely.

I've tried using ground coffee in rubs, but I find it "overextracts" and makes a bitter result.

Jump to Forum: