Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lost power durring roast!!:(
smatty1
I was vacuuming while roasting.....guess it was a little too much power:(
I was approaching C1 on my last batch of Burundi for a friend/customer. It took about 3 mins to get power back on. I resumed roasting (temp was around 294 when I resumed)
Are the beans going to be any good at all or did I completely ruin em?
David

smatty1 wrote:Are the beans going to be any good at all or did I completely ruin em?

No reason to think they are ruined. ThumbsUp
But they will probably have less brightness [acidity] than you might otherwise expect.

Double roasting (taking them to first crack or just before, letting them cool, and then taking them up to second) was a common European practice for espresso, back in the day and maybe today also, in places. It tames the brightness.
Online descriptions of the process vary. Some say they just go up through the drying stage [which is before first crack] then cool, then go all the way to dark roast; and others describe roasting, blending, and then roasting again. Go figger.
qajariaq
I've had similar things happen a couple of times before, stopping the roast near first crack for a minute or two before resuming operations. Apparently it doesn't have a drastic effect on flavor, as I can't recall anything about those occurrences other than being concerned that I had ruined the batch!
I think the important thing is that the temp doesn't drop a great deal. I could see stopping and cooling the beans to room temp, or 'baking' at a constant temp for too long, before starting again, being a larger cause for concern.
Edited by qajariaq on 08/15/2009 5:28 PM
seedlings
Personally I wouldn't sell that batch, but I'd darn sure drink it! Burundi is GOOD I had some from ourcoffeebarn a while back... alas, it's gone.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
smatty1

seedlings wrote:
Personally I wouldn't sell that batch, but I'd darn sure drink it! Burundi is GOOD I had some from ourcoffeebarn a while back... alas, it's gone.

CHAD

I told him what happened and to let me know if it wasnt any good and I'd roast him something else. It smelled pretty darn good off the roast, so we'll see...
Jump to Forum: