Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 21

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
El Salvadorian Greens
dja
Just received my shipment of beans from the awesome Chad, thanks for letting me in on the buy.
Beans roasted verly evenly, tons of chaf but thats not a problem as I roast outside.
will have to wait till tomorrow for taste results,
some eye candy for people that like to look at roasted beans, lol

Shine on the beans is strictly from the flash
dja attached the following image:
picture.jpg

Edited by dja on 08/20/2009 1:29 PM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
dja
First off I don't know beans about cupping coffee, I do know what I like!
Awe yes trhe aroma of freshly roasted, than ground, then brewed Central American Coffee.
The taste is still lacking some of the body that I would look for in this but then the beans have only been roasted for like 12 hours. Flavor has a nice clean taste and feel without the bitter grapefruit taste that some coffees have at times.
as can be seen from the pic posted above, this was not a dark roast. ( I don't care for burn't coffee) the beans left the house smelling of spice all day after roasting, and I can taste the spice in the cup but its not very strong this morning, lots of chocolate flavor going on with this cup also but not the real dark bittersweet chocloates that some beans have more of a middle of the road chocolate flavor.

with all of that said , I can say this. I like this Coffee
Great pick Mr. Seedlings, may one day you grow from a seedling to a full size coffee tree,Roflmao
seedlings
How did you brew it today?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
dja
awe yes the oft asked how did u brew it question, guess I forgot to include that.

In my trusty Bloomfield Resturant Grade coffee maker that has the thermostat turned up to max so that the brew is like almost boiling. Dang thing makes coffee in the 190 to 200 degree range after cranking the thermo up, when I first got the thing it would only make coffee at like 152 degrees, in my book thats barely lukewarm swill!!!!:(.
But after a trip down screwdriver lane it makes real coffee.:Clap:

used six heaping double tablespoon scoops of beans ground to a medium grind.

the flavor of the brew, I would have to say increased after pouring it into a thermos so that I could take what was left of the pot with me to a meeting I had to attend, it mellowed out an was much sweeter near the end of the thermos
Edited by dja on 08/21/2009 12:22 PM
seedlings
Gotcha!

I will be roasting some to a very light City roast this weekend. Coments to follow...

CHAD
Clifford
I brewed my first cup today. I am really happy that I bought a lot. I roasted to just past first crack ob mt Behmor p-2 B. The taste was intriguing and hard for me to describe. T was not like a Hershey bar or chocolate milk, maybe more like chocolate cake or icing or fudge with a lemony undertone, if you can understand that. Delicious an intriguing so I want to drink more.ThumbsUp
May the Force be with your cup
seedlings
Roasted to a 13 minute City roast. I pulled the beans just as soon as I was confident first crack was over.

After 2 days rest, drip brewed, the body is medium, very light sweetness, more acidity than at Full City, hint of orange rind, gentle chocolates in the background, otherwise a general nice cup with no highlights or lowlights.

The first roast I did was a Full City, and when I brewed it in the vac pot the flavors were up front, but Drip Brewed it lost quite a bit of oomph. I haven't Vac Pot brewed this light roast yet, but my bet is there's more to say than this drip cup is letting on.

*edit: CUP ALWAYS TASTES BETTER COOL!!! Why is that? Cool in the cup tastes like chocolate wine... weird, but tasty. Hits the middle of my tongue, just back from the tip. Interesting.

As far as roasting goes, this must be a very hard bean - lots of endothermal chemistry after first crack because the temperatures must be watched very carefully to prevent thermal runaway!!!! I have marks on my "heatgun thermostat" and have to set it lower than any other coffee for a gentle temperature increase after first crack (5 degrees per minute is what I shoot for).

I'm not sure either City or Full City is the exact best roast level to present this El Salvador. Next time, I'll pull just after 2nd Crack starts... maybe 5 or 10 seconds after the first snap of 2nd... Full City+ to me.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 08/26/2009 8:36 AM
Clifford
Thanks for explaining the taste CHAD. All I have been able to say is that I find it intriguing. I am starting on my second 1/2 # batch. I agree with your description and am glad I got a large stash of it.
opus
I roasted a little for me the other day. Maybe Full city + or just shy. Good cup, a little chocolate but not much.

Going to roast 15# of it tomorrow. Maybe I'll take a pic of the finished roast and put it up.

[Hmmmm...I think I will try it as Turkish this afternoon too.!]
Edited by opus on 08/29/2009 2:02 PM
Clifford
I roasted mine to just after the end of first crack. Either the temp or humodity made it take 18-19 min in my Behmor for a 1/2 #. It isdelicious but I cannot formulate words to describe the taste; it just tastes fantastic and I keep brewing more.
randytsuch
Hi guys
Thanks again to Chad for providing these greens, at a great price.

I have roasted two batches so far.
My setup is a popcorn popper, with a thermocouple in the middle of the bean mass. The temp meter has a usb output, to log the temps to my laptop, and I get a real time graph and rate of change numbers to aid my roasting.

I have a Popcorn Pumper, modded to seperate fan and heat, with a variac to control the heat. I have mayto 20 roasts so far, and close to 5 lbs of greens.

First roast I had 80 g of green in the popper, I weigh every batch before starting, I hit first crack at 188C after 9.9 min., and stopped at 214C, after 14.75 mins., probably right before 2nd.

I thought this roast was a little lite when I looked at it, but it was good. When I was starting, I stopped some roasts too early, and they was too bright for me. This roast was not bright, good body and some chocolate. This was after a few days rest.

2nd roast hit first at 182C after 8.5 mins, 2nd at 210C, after 14.5 mins, stopped at 220C, after 15.25 mins.

This roast was darker, with a little oil coming out after a day. Only had a day rest, and I tried it. It was also good, not as good as the first batch yet, but it probably needs at least one more day of rest.

Overall, very happy with this coffee, great bargain for the price. One other thing I noticed was that the beans are very uniform in size and shape, more so then most of the beans I have used before.

Randy
seedlings
I'm working on a Full City ++, into second crack. The flavors came up in day 4 and we're on day 5. Hang on, let me sip some...

Very plesant. Medium chocolates, medium body, the mystery fruit is too faint to comment on. Sweet finish. Could drink this one every day. I'd have to say I prefer this roast level over the Full City (first snap of second crack), and both of those over the City (first crack complete).

CHAD
seedlings
Well, now I am conflicted.

I did another batch to Full City again, but this time took 18 minutes instead of 14 - added a couple of minutes of drying time and a couple more minutes between end of first and end of roast. Day 4, today, is the day it comes together. Heavy body and more lingering sweet milk chocolate finish. Fantastic.

CHAD
Jump to Forum: