Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

07/21/2021 3:00 AM
Welcome RoastedRight

07/18/2021 3:06 AM
Welcome to darkbrew, carl1961 and vitor !

07/17/2021 4:30 PM
Welcome Skin Destination AND Timberline

07/16/2021 3:10 AM
Welcome to callmejohn and axissolutions !

07/10/2021 8:24 AM
yourspecialbrew Welcome!

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 10

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,256
Newest Member: stivenreed333

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Robusta
Never knowingly tried Robusta Never knowingly tried Robusta 45%[9 Votes]
Use it sparingly for espresso blends Use it sparingly for espresso blends 5%[1 Vote]
Blend it with an origin to add kick in the cup Blend it with an origin to add kick in the cup 10%[2 Votes]
I've tried 100% robusta before I've tried 100% robusta before 40%[8 Votes]
Total Votes : 20
 Print Thread
Robusta
seedlings
I've never had robusta unless it was unknowing in an espresso blend I sampled at a cafe. I'd like to know if any of you use it for blending in espresso or, more interestingly, in coffee for press or drip. Also would like to know where you get it and what it tastes like. I read that it has more caffeine, but not so much flavor.

So, do you use it?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
DavidG
fyi, at the moment, Sweet Maria's is offering 2 Robusta origins along with roast level suggestions ...

David
Koffee Kosmo
There are more than 2 varieties of coffee on the planet

Some good some not so
Robusta is strong in taste and in caffeine
A nice mild one is every bit as good as Arabica

I prefer the monsooned

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
boom
I say a good barista/roaster should know how to use all types of coffee, even if it isn't the best. I regularly find myself behind the counter in some scruffy caffe with a terrible machine and even worse coffee. Then you have to make the best of it. If you can blend robusta into your coffee, and have a very good reason for it other than just trying to add bulk, then go for it.
A good espresso should give you hair on your chest!

Nuova Simonelli Mac Cup S, Mazzer Super Jolly, 1962 Faema President 2-group Lever, 1960 Faema Urania Grinder, 2kg profile controlled roaster
curly
Ever had Folgers, or Maxwell House, or Hill's Brothers?( or most other canned pre-ground coffee) Then you probably have had robusta.
Curly
Ubi cartias et amor, Deus ibi est
seedlings
Seems like Robusta is generally taboo. I thought many espresso blends included robusta for body and crema.

CHAD
hazbean
" ...many espresso blends included robusta for body and crema"

Yes, I think that is the case. There is one very good local roaster
with such a blend. I've used it myself once or twice for that purpose.
I've also tried it 100% -- I found it good in body, rich in mouthfeel,
pleasant but not exciting in taste, and definitely plenty of crema.
Judicious amounts of good Robusta can IMHO enhance a blend. Too
much poor robusta can make it harsh, and with too much of a caffeine hit.

We avoid blends with Robusta not through any particular
objection to good Robusta, but simply to keep the caffeine down (due
to liking to have a late night coffee). This is tolerable with 100%
arabica, but not with robusta.
gimanz
yo guys..let me share you my story here.

I'm from Indonesia..my uncle runs two coffee factories. The factories produce ground coffee. He roast, blend, grind then pack the ground coffee. my dad distributes the product. Currently i work with my uncle as his factory manager and QC at one of his factory in small city, Dumai.
my job is simple, to maintain his product consistency.

We are Indonesian, commonly love to drink robusta coffee. Why robusta?
Historically, Indonesian had no coffee plantation. In 17th century, during Colonialism, the Dutch brought coffee plant to Indonesia. They forced the civilian to grow coffee and other plant. The Dutch brought 2 types of coffee, the Arabica cofee and Robusta. The civilian were not allowed to consume Arabica Coffee. Don't know the real reason, may be because Arabica coffee value at high price.

The civilian were only able to consume the robusta coffee, but the lower grade, such as the black bean, and other defect beans. Sometimes, the civilian blended the robusta coffee with roasted corn or rice.
Until now, only a few people of Indonesia that can be found consuming the arabica coffee. I think that's why Indonesian love to drink robusta coffee, they used to drink robusta since their ancestor life.

I am not a coffee drinker although my dad had sold my uncle's ground coffee since i was a baby until now. But i tried to cup (coffee tasting) arabica coffee and mostly Robusta coffee. Because i live in Indonesia, I'm only able to cup Indonesian coffee, such as Mandheling, Lintong, Dampit, Bali, Java. I never try foreign coffee bean, but i would love to.

Java Arabica coffee has aromatic aroma, herbal like, spicy and floral, low body and high acidity. Sumatra Robusta has chocolate-like aroma, earthy, low acidity but Rich in body.

Indonesia is also famous by it's Chivet Coffee ( Kopi LUWAK-indonesian spelled). Any one heard it before?

I love robusta coffee. Sometimes i blend it with arabica coffee to have it's aroma in my cup. :)

Personally i want to achieve a higher career as coffee cupper, but i will never make it if i only train myself with Indonesian Coffee only or defect beans to describe the faults.
I would like to know how animal-like, berry-like coffee smells. I want to try the Kenya coffee, Jamaica, and all coffee from all over the world.

Can someone give advice?

Forgive my poor English grammar and vocabulary.
seedlings
gimanz, awesome story and welcome to homeroasters! Many of us would love to have the experiences you talk about.

Why can you not obtain coffees from other origins besides Indonesia? If you can get here, to homeroasters, then you should be able to order coffee online from anywhere - or is there a reason you can not?

CHAD
gimanz
I never shop online before and I don't have any credit card.
Any suggestion ?
I visited www.sweetmarias.com and saw many variants of coffee bean. I'm extremely interested. And I keep trying my best effort to obtain those beans, keep searching another way to have it.
seedlings

If you can open an account with www.paypal.com, you will be able to buy online. Maybe try http://www.paypal...nesia.com/ ,

CHAD
mirza

seedlings wrote:

I've never had robusta unless it was unknowing in an espresso blend I sampled at a cafe. I'd like to know if any of you use it for blending in espresso or, more interestingly, in coffee for press or drip. Also would like to know where you get it and what it tastes like. I read that it has more caffeine, but not so much flavor.

So, do you use it?

CHAD

yes i used it, i roasted it. u can check this thread that has some resource about Fine Robusta https://homeroast...ad_id=6628
brianalfaro
Yes, I like Robusta Coffee. It is bitter to drink but I like the rubbery/grain-like flavor, with a peanutty aftertaste.
AshleyRPlayer
I like robusta because it is too strong. Sometimes I add some milk and sugar for a better taste.
Jump to Forum: