renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Kudos to John on this Eth Bonko
gene
Today marks at least 150 roasts and this is my first certified success!
59 degrees outside and beautiful day to roast.
Here goes John:
Ethiopian Bonko:
300 til 3:30.
bump to 480 til firrst crack. Yep, cracked at 13:45(you predicted 13:45-14:00)and backed off to 450 in order to slow down momentum.....light brown chaff in the seam......watched real closely, 16:50 a puff of smoke and.....cooled til 18:30 and I started yelling and pumping my fist.
C+ to Full City
Man, I have to wait 5-6 days.
Pure torture to have to wait in Tom's canister with one-way vents that long.

Thanks again John! Keep those profiles coming.
gene

PS: Just screwed up Tom's Hawaiin Moka six days ago. He warned us. Man that tiny bean is touchy. Oh well, some folks liked the chocolate today.
I plan to use John's slowdown suggestion on this one next time.

John Despres
Thank you, Gene! Those are very kind words and I'm happy to help.

I'm wondering about a possible typo - 3:30 or 5:30? Or maybe you tweaked my suggestion?

Now that you've reached this plateau, enjoy the coffee and the successes. Pretty soon you'll set another goal to move toward.

Next roast, try dropping to 444F

Have fun!

Thanks, again, Gene.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1
Hey, can this be the "pick John Despres brain" thread?:)
I've been using the profile I've been calling RPjd!:)
300 for 5
476 til 1 min into C1
449 til end: 2 mins machine cool; pull for external cool

I use that across the board cause I'm lazy:)
I'm going through another one of my "I'm not getting these flavors/desired results out of my coffee" phases and I'm wondering about some profile variants....
Example: I roasted the DP Yirgacheffe on 10/30 FC and it tastes like dry processed funk rather than the "potent fruit forward" cup it's supposed to be. I just roasted another batch about a min lighter. I was gonna drop to 444 on this one and see how that played out, but I wanted to use the same profile and just roast lighter so I could see if I am just over roasting these ethiopians these days. This is not the first disappointing batch of Ethiopian and it may be because I have been roasting a touch darker across the board for the last 6 months or so.
Thoughts, John.....or anyone else too:)

gene
Smatty:

I'll let you know after next week when I have had time to taste John's profile. By the way it was 5:50 when I upped temp to 480, not 3:50, my bad.
I precisely followed John's profile.

Hey, could name this new profile RIPjd if it misses-Ha Ha, just joking John.

Can't wait to try this on Hawaiian Moka. "Roasting this bean can be extra challenging", so says Tom. For one thing it is extra small, for another it is grown at low elevation on an old sugar cane plantation. This results in a 'soft' bean.

Like John says, this really is fun!
gene

John Despres
This is indeed fun. I'm so glad to have been some help to you guys!

For the Hawaiian Moka, I wouldn't take the high beyond 465F. The soft bean will soak up heat quite quickly and could go runaway on you very quickly.

Also, I'd drop the temp to 444F right at the onset of 1st. What's the onset of first? For consistency, I call the beginning of first the first two or three snaps within a second or so.

Now here's another thing to try: warm your roast to300F for 6 minutes. For harder beans go to 6:30.

Here is thread on HB about stretching the warming phase. I've been trying this a bit with very nice results. Flavors are fuller and more pronounced while much more pleasant.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/grassiness-and-light-roasting-t9844.html' target='_blank' title='http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/grassiness-and-light-roasting-t9844.html'>ht...ml

Have more fun.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1

John Despres wrote:
This is indeed fun. I'm so glad to have been some help to you guys!

For the Hawaiian Moka, I wouldn't take the high beyond 465F. The soft bean will soak up heat quite quickly and could go runaway on you very quickly.

Also, I'd drop the temp to 444F right at the onset of 1st. What's the onset of first? For consistency, I call the beginning of first the first two or three snaps within a second or so.

Now here's another thing to try: warm your roast to300F for 6 minutes. For harder beans go to 6:30.

Here is thread on HB about stretching the warming phase. I've been trying this a bit with very nice results. Flavors are fuller and more pronounced while much more pleasant.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/grassiness-and-light-roasting-t9844.html' target='_blank' title='http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/grassiness-and-light-roasting-t9844.html'>ht...ml

Have more fun.
John

Sounds like Sunday afternoon will be the maiden voyage of RPjd2! Will report back, Commander!:)

Clifford
I'm going to have to set aside a credit card balance for a gene. Does it roast similar to a Hottop ?
Edited by Clifford on 11/08/2009 7:16 AM
May the Force be with your cup

John Despres

Clifford wrote:
I'm going to have to set aside a credit card balance for a gene. Does it roast similar to a Hottop ?

I imagine not. The Gene Cafe is an air roaster giving you brighter roasts than the more traditionall type roasts as in the HotTop.

But then, I don't own a HotTop yet, so I have no emperical wisdom of my own.

John
Edited by John Despres on 11/08/2009 9:59 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

nucer
John is right in that the Gene will give you a brighter cup than the hottop. I have a hottop and the reason I like it is that the coffee it produces is a mellower cup that the fluidize air roasters. I started r
roasting with a Melitta, then to a Zach and Dani, and finally to a hottop.

If you want what you get at a coffee shop than a hottop is for you. If you like what you get from a popcorn popper than go with the gene. It is definitely a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong.

In either case just enjoy a good cup.

Nucer
(MHO from Benbrook, Texas)
NucerGrin

John Despres
I've spoken with folk who have used both and everyone seems to agree that each roaster is a standout on its own. Certain coffees may be better suited for one or the other. I plan on ordering a HotTop soon and increasing my variety of choices.

Fun, fun, fun.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: