Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 16

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,038
Newest Member: peafarmer
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First brewing of first home roast... curdled?
somegeek
I've been brewing coffee with my first pound of home roasted beans for the last three days or so. We brew in a drip machine. The machine is set to turn off heat, five minutes after the brewing completes. We add half/half to our coffee. The first poured mugs cause the cream to appear to curdle and raise to the top of the mug. This is fresh half/half - no funky tastes, freshness date is a month out - same stuff we've used for years without issue. However, an hour after brewing, I can pour a mug and the half/half nearly stirs in clean with no apparent cream funk on top of the mug. Is this curdling or something to do with my roasting/brewing/bean/off-gassing?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Edited by somegeek on 11/23/2009 2:50 AM
smatty1

somegeek wrote:
I've been brewing coffee with my first pound of home roasted beans for the last three days or so. We brew in a drip machine. The machine is set to turn off heat, five minutes after the brewing completes. We add half/half to our coffee. The first poured mugs cause the cream to appear to curdle and raise to the top of the mug. This is fresh half/half - no funky tastes, freshness date is a month out - same stuff we've used for years without issue. However, an hour after brewing, I can pour a mug and the half/half nearly stirs in clean with no apparent cream funk on top of the mug. Is this curdling or something to do with my roasting/brewing/bean/off-gassing?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

I had the same thing happen in my first days of roasting. My roast was too light. It tasted "grassy" and would not hold up creamer...

seedlings
I'm no help on this one.

CHAD

Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
John Despres
My guess is very, I mean very fresh coffee. How long is the coffee rested before brewing?

Could be the high presence of Co2 doesn't like cream...

John

Edited by John Despres on 11/23/2009 7:48 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
somegeek
Thanks for the replies. This coffee is now about five days old. We started brewing it the day after it was roasted. It's done this to the cream since that first day. Odd thing is that it won't do this to the cream after the coffee has sat in the pot for an hour or so... just the initial pour.

bvwelch
Maybe a few more details:

1) prior to homeroasting, did you buy whole bean and grind yourself? Or did you buy preground?
2) what green coffee are you roasting?
3) what degree is your roast?
4) how fine are you grinding your homeroast?
5) do you pour in cream first, then add coffee, or the reverse?
6) as a test, pour in the coffee first. Observe for a minute or two-- do you see any surface oils?
7) again, without cream, taste coffee after it sits a couple minutes - cools a little in the mug. describe the taste.

I hope these will help, if not perhaps a fellow homeroaster is nearby, or we can do a swap of homeroast via the mail and compare.

-bill

somegeek
Musta been the variety of bean - we finished it up this morning. Just brewed up a pot of another type of bean - three days since roasting - still off-gassing a bit but no curdle-funk in this cup when the half/half was added.ThumbsUp

somegeek

bvwelch wrote:
Maybe a few more details:

1) prior to homeroasting, did you buy whole bean and grind yourself? Or did you buy preground?

bought whole bean for the last many years - Sbux then Peet's

2) what green coffee are you roasting?

It was a lb of Columbia Microlot from Sweet Marias

3) what degree is your roast?

Full City + per John Depres
forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/somegeek_coffee_roasting_.jpg

4) how fine are you grinding your homeroast?

Using a krups grinder(not a burr grinder). I don't turn it to powder but do grind it beyond larger pieces.

5) do you pour in cream first, then add coffee, or the reverse?

Either way - haven't seen this curdling before.

6) as a test, pour in the coffee first. Observe for a minute or two-- do you see any surface oils?

Didn't get a chance to note.

7) again, without cream, taste coffee after it sits a couple minutes - cools a little in the mug. describe the taste.

Didn't get a chance - brewed that pound an on to the next one I roasted. This new one however didn't curdle the cream. :S

Thanks for the reply - gave me some things to observe with our coffee. :)

I ordered 19# of green beans - four varieties - so I am looking forward to trying some different beans/roasts.

TANZANIA PEABERRY - Kilimanjaro
PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Kimel A (estate)
SUMATRA MANDHELING
Uganda Bugisu

somegeek

Edited by seedlings on 11/23/2009 1:39 PM
John Despres
Just the one coffee, huh? I'm stumped...

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Jump to Forum: