renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bean Swap 2009!
bvwelch
We're enjoying the Kenya coffee from Oceanacoffee again this morning, thank you!

Funny, I say there's hint of citrus, but Vicki says chocolate... I this calls for another cup!

John Despres
Jim, I received your beans today. Huffing the bags tells me this will be a couple great coffees.

On appearance, I've ruled out peaberries for the guess, and I have a couple ideas, but will taste them in the morning.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jsfarq
John, got your beans... Thanks! I have had a couple tastes of the mystery coffee, and it is so full, so good. I taste funk and fruit. Indonisian? Maybe Sumatra? not sure. Haven't tried the Rowanda COE yet, left for California this morning, and brought it with me (and grinder, and aeropress, and and and.) The silly putty has been a lof of fun too!

Let me know what you think of the Guat COE and the "XX" bag.

:)

John Despres
Hi, Jim.

The Guatemala COE Guadamur, Santa Ana is outstanding. I had it once, Sunday but will enjoy it again tomorrow.

Now the mystery bean. Large beans, very even in size, the odd peaberry...

Chocolate in the ground fragrance, some spice, buttery smoothness with a hint of dried cherries.

In the cup more chocolate, a hint of tobacco, spice and lighter dried fruit.

OK, then... the very uniform even-ness in roasting... I think it's wet processed... the bean size is taking me to South or Central America...

I think there's to much here for a Costa Rica... I'm thinking El Salvador or Nicaragua... In the end I have to go with a Nicaragua...

Nicaragua Limoncillo, I'm thinking...

In any event, these are two very nice coffees. Nicely roasted in your modified Fresh Roast 8. Very nice indeed. Both roasts quite even and VERY tasty!

Now as to your guess... Any more ideas?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jsfarq
John,

I have relocated my tastings to a hotel room in Sunnyvale CA, using my Aeropress and new Narita dual-voltage travel hotpot. Both your roasts are great, and get me going in the morning.

Though I have been roasting for a while, I was not near satisfied until recently. Things changed once I started applying the science of a good roast. So, my palate is young, and I am very interested to find out about the mystery bean that you sent. My guess will have to stay Sumatra. I have enjoyed a cup of the secret roast, and a cup of the Rwanda every day since they arrived.

The secret bean I sent you is a recent acquisition, but has quickly become one of my favorites. It is from Ka'u, just below Kona, in the southern tip of the Big Island. Ka'u Moonbeams Estate. I'm glad you enjoyed my roasts!
jsfarq attached the following image:
islandmap.jpg

Edited by jsfarq on 02/03/2010 7:12 PM

John Despres
Kona??? Well, I'll be hornswaggled! I've had one Kona in my life and that was because of a shipping mistake.

I still have some left and can now enjoy it for what it is.

Sumatra, eh? Final answer? SPOT ON! It's also a peaberry; "Tarbarita"
Good guessing, there, mister!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Beans arrived in the mail yesterday Dennis!

>Light roast, City, non-uniform bean size
>Grounds aroma reminds me of strawberry-banana
>Wet grounds bring in some vanilla
>In the cup, medium body, getting vanilla and nut with fruity backgrounds and nice sweetness, low acidity (maybe because it's drum roasted?), lingering very dark chocolate. Makes me think of a banana split. Might need another couple of days rest as there is a little "green" taste. If it's not a blend, it might be African (Rwanda?) or a dry-process central.

There were other goodies in the box as well! Thanks Dennis, I'll be sipping this for the next few days.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
this is a test of the notification system,
remember to check the box at the bottom of post to
receive a notify alert!

ginny

ginny
self test!!

seedlings

ginny wrote:
would someone please go to the bean swap 2009 and post anything!! thanks in advance, Grin

Hokay.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

milknmycoffee
posting for test purposes....

One of these days I am going to participate in this bean swap :)

Jump to Forum: