renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Robusta
Donatella
I have a Hottop B with a temperature bean probe. I have roasted several types of Arabica beans and the results have been overall very good. However, I want to experiment with blends that include robusta (yes, no more than 20% and I have to reach the SC with bean temperature of about 231 degrees C).
The question is: what is the best roasting profile for the robusta type? Is it the same as for arabica beans? Also, the Indian cherry robusta and the Indian monsoon robusta should be roasted differently?

John Despres
Tough question, Donatella. But it is a great first post, though.

I have never roasted Robusta, so I cannot offer much practical advice. However, depending on how much you buy, you could run some test batches.

I would think, though, the monsooned will be a softer bean and would need a lower heat at the onset of the roast and maybe medium through the end.

All I can really discover is 2nd crack or darker is important.

Please let us know what you learn. Perhaps you are poised to become the Robusta expert around here. We need one.

Good luck, and have fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Donatella
Well, I roasted my Robusta sample using the same profile as the Arabica. The time between the 1C and the 2C was 4.5 minutes and I finish the roasting when the bean temperature reached 453 F (roaster temperature 410 F), in about 18 minutes. Yes, quite long... but the flavour of my blend was spectacular! I used Tanzania Blackburn Estate (20%), Ethiopian Harrar (20%), Selawese Ismaili (40%) and my Indian cherry robusta (20%). Fantastic!!!

[mail][/mail]

smatty1

Donatella wrote:
Well, I roasted my Robusta sample using the same profile as the Arabica. The time between the 1C and the 2C was 4.5 minutes and I finish the roasting when the bean temperature reached 453 F (roaster temperature 410 F), in about 18 minutes. Yes, quite long... but the flavour of my blend was spectacular! I used Tanzania Blackburn Estate (20%), Ethiopian Harrar (20%), Selawese Ismaili (40%) and my Indian cherry robusta (20%). Fantastic!!!

Hey, where did you get the Blackburn Estate? Leftover from last year? I havnt seen any around this year, but I remember it as a standout!

Donatella
I bought it here in Sydney, from Ministry Grounds. I like it very much! However, I still prefer (as my very first choice) the coffee from Yemen.
[mail][/mail]

seedlings
1) Buy some robusta.
2) Roast it into second crack (vienna, not french).
3) Taste some the next day (you will hate it).
4) Put it in the cupboard and forget about it for a month or more.
5) Taste it now, and let me know what you think?

I'm beginning to think unusually long rest helps the robusta!
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

opus
I'm thinking long rests help a lot, not just robusta.

vinhlao
My country is only Robusta. I think the Robusta roast to full city. I use it after 48h.

farmroast
A question being explored is the difference between Italian espresso to American espresso. A top shelf Italian espresso can be 50% robusta and be months old yet produce a surprisingly good cup. The question being how they make this work. A thought is that the robusta is treated very differently in concept. That it is sort of a baked roast with a slow ramp and faster finish that then ages differently. With a long(few weeks) aging it transforms to add a different character to the cup.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

DavidG

farmroast wrote:
... A thought is that the robusta is treated very differently in concept. That it is sort of a baked roast with a slow ramp and faster finish that then ages differently. With a long(few weeks) aging it transforms to add a different character to the cup.

Great example of why I love HRO... along comes a perspective that makes me re-think what I thought I knew! Sincere thanks, Farmroast.

DavidG
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

Clifford
My roasting profile for robusta is DON'T
May the Force be with your cup

farmroast

Clifford wrote:

why? I'm not sure we've given robustas a chance and have simply dismissed them without understanding them. They have been successfully used in Italy for years. I recently bought a top shelf bag of beans from Italy with a high percentage of robusta and find it to be an interesting change.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

smatty1

farmroast wrote:

Clifford wrote:

why? I'm not sure we've given robustas a chance and have simply dismissed them without understanding them. They have been successfully used in Italy for years. I recently bought a top shelf bag of beans from Italy with a high percentage of robusta and find it to be an interesting change.

Robustas have probably gotten a bad name because most are crap. Super premium boutique robustas are probably (I'm guessing here)a new thing and are awesome. You can rest assured that if sweet marias is carrying a robusta that it's a dang good cup of coffee:) I have had 2 from them that were great. The madagascar robusta from burman is awesome as well.

randytsuch
Any other suggestions for a Robusta to try?

I am thinking about trying some to blend in for espresso's.

Randy

smatty1

randytsuch wrote:
Any other suggestions for a Robusta to try?

I am thinking about trying some to blend in for espresso's.

Randy

Coffeebeancoral.com has a PNG robusta that I'm dying to try!

mirza

Donatella wrote:

I have a Hottop B with a temperature bean probe. I have roasted several types of Arabica beans and the results have been overall very good. However, I want to experiment with blends that include robusta (yes, no more than 20% and I have to reach the SC with bean temperature of about 231 degrees C).
The question is: what is the best roasting profile for the robusta type? Is it the same as for arabica beans? Also, the Indian cherry robusta and the Indian monsoon robusta should be roasted differently?

this thread has some resource if u want to know more about Fine Robusta, Robusta is not always bad. hope it will help https://homeroast...ad_id=6628

Jump to Forum: