renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Prototype 3lb
Unta
Finally sized the pic to fit in the 97kb requirement and still be able to make out the components. Parts list: duct work,Stainless steel fireplace screen,Misc tape and gasketing,125-150k BTu propane heater,500 CFM dustcollector(used as blower to loft beans) Grin I enjoy lofting beans a great deal. I've had some amazing times with this guy.my first home built upgrade from my trusty proctor silex (RIP) popcorn popper which got me to thinking about these confounded contraptions.i am really starting to have consistant results and my neighbors and friends that have been my test subjects are really starting to reap the rewards of some tasty (free) fresh roasted organic coffee. The big brother of this unit is somewhere in the ether though has been designed and if i can resize the pic ill post it here also..Look forward to meeting and chatting with all of you here..Best of regards to everyone CHEERS!
Sean
Unta Coffee Roasters..We roast coffee 'cause we love coffee. B)
be our facebook friends also.. UNTA coffee roasters
Unta attached the following image:
cofferoaster.jpg

Unta
some in action roasting chamber pics.
Edited by Unta on 01/30/2010 8:41 PM

Unta
here is a schematic of the big brother....

endlesscycles
That's excessive.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
What's excessive about it, Marshall? Looks like a fine and fun project to me.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Hamilton
Indeed, John!

Did you just pose the monster outside to snap a picture, or does it put out enough heat to actually roast outdoors in the winter? And out of curiosity, how are you cooling?

RoasterRob

Hamilton wrote:
Indeed, John!

.............. And out of curiosity, how are you cooling?

Thought that bit was obvious. :)
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Unta
I am just shuting of the heat and allowing the winter air to blow through to cool,but the "roasting chamber" does come off to empty beans, so theoretically you could move hot beans to another cooling station if necessary....

I am roasting outside, YES, in the winter....wife wasn't keen on sticking this one under the hood of the stove.:naughty:.It does make quite a mess when the chaffee releases on certain beans..

Im curious of what was excessive..mostly found or owned items,i spent less then 100 dollars.

seedlings
What a roaster! Are there a few pics that have disappeared? (I can help get them posted if you send me a PM.)

At your earliest convenience I'd love to see a short video!

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta
video of the roaster in action,for all who are interested.
http://www.facebo...2211440893
Edited by John Despres on 02/01/2010 5:55 PM

Hamilton

RoasterRob wrote:

Hamilton wrote:
Indeed, John!

.............. And out of curiosity, how are you cooling?

Thought that bit was obvious. :)

Haha, fair enough Rob. B) I like this monstrosity (no offense Unta, yours is quite a machine) but I do still like the simplicity of your tube design. I'm waiting for the neighbors to call the cops on me. Mine looks more like a rocket every day.
Edited by Hamilton on 02/01/2010 5:42 PM

seedlings

Unta wrote:
video of the roaster in action,for all who are interested.
http://www.facebo...2211440893

Dropped my jaw.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
That was a great video, but I also really like your friend's HGDB video - Wow, we should be recommending every newbie to go watch it! Good job, and thanks for sharing it! -bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/01/2010 6:44 PM

Unta
"That was a great video, but I also really like your friend's HGDB video '

you lost me on the HGDB. Thanks for the great comments.

Its a monstrosity, I concur.. anything that requires ear plugs can qualify as such. though the goal of this project was not to refine or perfect the design it was to qualify the process...ima trial and error type..;)

Thanks to everyone for the positive takes..i really am glad there are a pile of folks out there who really enjoy this...
Cheers again!
:)

The big brother if you can see it..with chafee collection and cooling...not so simple..

Unta
http://www.facebo...1576066216 heres a link to the pic...not liking my files,even though properly resized..-
Edited by John Despres on 02/02/2010 2:48 AM

bvwelch

Unta wrote:
you lost me on the HGDB.

Sorry, I don't know much about Facebook. But at the top of your video, if you click on the 'see all videos', you go to this page: http://www.facebo...2211440893 and there is a neat heat-gun-dog-bowl coffee roasting video, which I assumed was done by friend of yours.

Back to your project - Wow, I can't wait to see the bigger version, the drawings are amazing! -bill

dfluke
HGDB = Heat Gun Dog Bowl

nufsaid
Are you blowing through the heater. Looks like it would effect the burners!

Unta
yup blowing through...not sure what you mean by "effect" the burners...

Sean Harrington
educate.

nufsaid
by effect I mean anything from losint BTU's up to blowing the flame out. What you have is NOT a carburation set up, that would be air and fuel combined. The way I see it, it's like blowing out a candle. Whatever works for you and makes you smile is all it's about. For me I see too much overkill. But it sue looks like fun:smileycoffee:

Unta
For me it came down to lofting beans,500 cfm in the column as shown moves about 1300 grams of beans. with a different chamber design I will be able to roast more beans with the same set up. so, agreed its not the best use of the resource, though effective.
The heater is designed to blow air across the burner in its first incarnation its how it functions, ive just bumped the volume passing through..Allin all air roasting is not a very efficient way to roast beans if your looking at the propane gauge,flash heating large volumes of air is wasteful.

thanks for the observations..good luck with the pyrex bowl..
ThumbsUp
Sean Harrington
educate.

nufsaid
Did you ever think of putting the blower after the burner, coming in with a Y and a damper? You could put your beans in orbit orrrrrrrrrrr get great control on bean flying and it will help your heat controll also.

RoasterRob
These blowers usually have a max temp rating of 75C. If it was after the burner it would have to deal with temps well in excess of 300C. That would kill it in no time.
I am using one like this in my bean cooler, which means it gets a hit of over 200C at the start of the cooling cycle but within 3mins the temp is down to ambient. Seems to handle this ok.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

RoasterRob
Hi Unta

Whilst I agree that air roasters are inherently inefficient there are ways to improve the efficiency.
The main way is to increase the bean bed depth which means increasing the pressure available to loft the beans.
I would be very interested to know how many roasts you get out of your 9kg bottle of gas. I would be surprised if you can get enough heat to finish a roast once the bottle gets down to half full especially in the weather you are dealing with currently.
I find even in ambient temps of over 20C that much below a third full and it is a struggle to finish roasts. The fix for that is to put the gas bottle in a container of water to get it up around 20C.

Rob
NZ

Unta
Gerry-- the Y or a mix box has come to mind...i may pick up a part and see what benefit there is..I due intend to bump the quantity of beans and it will be necessary to add more air, and your point about blowing out the candle comes true when i hook up the 2HP blower...

Roaster rob--
propane supply currently is a problem, I am having trouble keeping the air at temp, when the bottle gets too cold or too low..The cold problem i have solved by using a longer rubber gas line and keeping the propane tank in the house. my next move is to have the gas company put another exterior connection on my 120 gallon home supply.. if necessary ill have them drop another tank.
Sean Harrington
educate.

Jump to Forum: