renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Strange Question regarding Health and Roasting
ahedges
Hey all, I have a strange question to see if anyone else has experienced this problem I am having with my voice lately. Let me give you some history. I am a worship leader so I sing for my job, part time as it may be. Since a couple of weeks before Christmas, my voice began to fade a little. since Christmas, It has finally just about failed completely and I have a pretty raspy voice while talking and pretty much cant sing at all. I've been to the ENT doc and the checkup showed no damage, infection, etc and the Doc thinks that it is overuse. Well, I havent sung in a month and and voice is no better so we are looking at every possibility and since my new roasting adventure coincided with this new problem, I was wondering if anybody else had any experience like this. either from roasting smoke or drinking homeroasted coffee in general being that my home roasted coffee from my FR +8 is fairly bright and acidic. I know this is strange but we are at the point where we are looking at anything that could be triggering this or making it worse etc. I will add that the Doc didnt seem to think the coffee would be problematic. The next step is to send the kids to the grandparents for a week so I can have a week of no talking as the doc also said that my voice could be strained by making silly voices, using low "authority " voice etc. (i am home with the kids full time). I am really hoping that my old love (music) and my new love (hoe roasted coffee) are not going to fight each other.

Thanks for any input.
Andrew

seedlings
Well, Andrew, this is strange. I've been homeroasting for several years now, and roast about 1.25 pounds per batch, often several back-to-back in a 10x10 garage. The only ventilation is opening and closing the overhead door, and I roast with it about 30 percent open - even if it's zero outside...I'll step out of the garage for a few minutes at a time, but I do breathe smoke.

I drink the coffee too. Probably upwards of 32oz throughout the day from my thermos, plus a shot or two depending on the day.

And, as it happens, I have children to correct.

Also, by coincidence, I sing and play guitar in the church praise band, and have done so throughout my roasting. There are at least a few others roasting here who sing regularly.

Alas, I haven't had any of the troubles... but please keep us posted on what you find out. I'll shoot up my prayer for you to get well and back to work!

Blessings,
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/08/2010 1:11 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ahedges
Thanks Chad, I know this is a long shot. My wife suggested it may be the roasting because my voice was shot the day after I came back from john Despres's home when he was tweaking my roaster and giving some tips. I was sure it was shot from talking coffee roasting over the noise of my FR+8 and his Gene Cafe for 2 hours with my voice already in the poor state that it was.

seedlings
Oh, you were at John's place, then? That explains it! You're allergic to greatness.

Grin
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/08/2010 1:48 PM

John Despres
Ahem....

I have no idea at all, either. I work in the entertainment industry and see people suffer voice issues on occasion and 100% voice rest is always the solution. We have a dog and a cat; are you allergic?

I've not heard of coffee being a cause of anything like this, either.

I hope you feel well soon.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

ahedges
Nope not allergic john. And i started before I was at your place. It was just a point in my Wife's mind when my voice was especially blown out. Like I said, probably just talking over the roaster noise. Just thought I would throw something out here as we are completely baffled. A day or two of no talking didn't seem to help so im trying to think of all the minute possibilities. Weird stuff......

ahedges
Quick update. Just got back from another ENT for a second opinion and he found a "big fat nodule" on my vocal chord. He seemed quite surprised the first guy missed it. Scheduled to have it removed on April 19 and should be singing again soon after along with some vocal therapy to prevent it from happening again. Now I just have to be patient and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

John Despres
Well, that's great (??) news. Sounds like you're on the path to recovery.

...And great coffee with your new Gene Cafe.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
Ouch! Make sure you have an ace working on those pipes.

Speedy recoveries!
CHAD

ahedges
Chad, the doc i am using was highly recommended so I am good to go. Actually, the surgery has been moved up to this Friday. No talking all weekend afterward.
Thanks for the well wishes.

opus
Wow! The thought of nodes terrifies me! Glad you found it though. Take the vocal rest you need and get a good vocal coach. I'm sure the Dr will tell you if there is any reflux issues.
Where are you located? Maybe I can help you find a reputable coach. I pray all will turn out well.

ahedges
All seems to be well. doc gave a picture of the before and after. the nodule was a real monster and the doc gave me an extra day of vocal rest. It'll be hard not to yell out woohoo!! when the ups guy comes tomorrow with my Gene Cafe but I'll do my best. Thanks again for all the well wishes.
Andrew

RockinJava9
You probably know this - but many of us will be praying fora speedy recovery, glorious music soon, and long term no-more-nodules...

Brett
Edited by RockinJava9 on 03/14/2010 9:06 AM
Brett Mason
balancing faith and family
over a cup of homeroast glory!

Jump to Forum: