renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
inexpensive food-safe wire mesh?
bvwelch
Greetings,

I'm doing a mod to my popper, and I want to add a 'false bottom' in the heat chamber, made of wire mesh.

The idea, borrowed from someone at Home-Barista, is to raise the level of the beans up, away from the bottom of the heat chamber. Beneath the false bottom, is a nice place to insert a probe for the incoming hot air temperature, only.

My wife donated a grease splatter guard, which works, but is way too fine, and I think it is restricting the air flow more than necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/08/2010 1:32 PM

seedlings
You should be able to "form" some 1/4" hardware cloth into the proper bowl shape.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

nufsaid
if you live in the boonies your local hardware/farm co-op will have 1/4" mesh chicken wire, I use it to make rotissery drums.

bvwelch
Thanks Gerry, I wonder if a peaberry would fall thru? Also, would that be galvanized wire? thanks

bvwelch

seedlings wrote:
You should be able to "form" some 1/4" hardware cloth into the proper bowl shape.
CHAD

You've piqued my interest: 1) bowl shape? I was just thinking a flat surface, but bowl-shape sounds interesting, tell me more. 2) hardware cloth - not sure what to ask for, or where? Stainless steel I guess? thanks!

John Despres
I think most hardware cloth is galvanized. Be careful.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch
That's why I've been cruising the kitchen-gadget aisles in stores :-)

Unta
stainless steel colander.. pricey but already a bowl shape. there is also ornamental aluminum fireplace grate that comes in sheet form at any home depot, popcorn kernals wont fall through the holes, so it is small enough for most any beans..
Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles
At what temperature does galvanization become nasty?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
Since zinc and lead are part of it and considered a heavy metals, I'm not sure there's a safe temperature. Everywhere I look online says NO! to galvanized use with food prep
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Koffee Kosmo
If you lived close I would give you some carbon steel perforated plate

If you are going to cut a kitchen steamer insert it would be prudent to search at a yard sale or second hand shop

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
I think most hardware cloth is galvanized. Be careful.

John

Perhaps I misunderstood, but isn't this for the cold air inlet? If so, there won't be any issue at room temperatures... Do we need to put warning signs on chain-link fences?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/09/2010 7:54 AM

bvwelch
Thanks for all of the great ideas, and I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear.

This mesh goes directly inside the roasting chamber of the popper. I'll try and do a drawing later. But if you had a side view, and loaded the greens into this new modified popper, but did not turn on the power yet, you would see the beans resting on this 'false bottom' of mesh, with an inch or two below the mesh, where you could mount a TC probe, in order to measure the hot air 'environment'.

I'm actually gonna give up on this mod for now, and come back to it later I think. -bill

Ringo
You can remove galvanize with a spray of muratic acid. Get muratic acid at a pool supply store. Be carefull with it, it will really burn.

Hamilton

endlesscycles wrote:
At what temperature does galvanization become nasty?

I did some reading about this because my first chamber was galvanized. From what I can tell there are issues welding galvanized (~1000F or more) but the issues are not long term or toxic, they can just make you sick. I don't think our temperatures are high enough to create noxious fumes, but I went to aluminum just to be safe. If you're actually selling coffee/food items, the gov't seems to want stainless for everything anyhow.

This is a tiny blurb about zinc oxide gas:
http://en.wikiped...ide#Safety

John Despres
Pretty much everything I've looked at suggests it's a bad idea to heat galvanized metal while in contact with food regardless of temperature. I did not find one site anywhere indicating cooking food on a galvanized surface is OK.

Cold prep is OK, it seems. Not cooking...

Let's just stay safe, shall we?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Thanks for all of the great ideas, and I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear.

This mesh goes directly inside the roasting chamber of the popper. I'll try and do a drawing later. But if you had a side view, and loaded the greens into this new modified popper, but did not turn on the power yet, you would see the beans resting on this 'false bottom' of mesh, with an inch or two below the mesh, where you could mount a TC probe, in order to measure the hot air 'environment'.

I'm actually gonna give up on this mod for now, and come back to it later I think. -bill

Aaaaahh. I understand. In this case don't use galvanized.

CHAD

nufsaid
peaberry definitely can go thru. I double layer it with one layer offset by 1/8" Costs a whole buck.

Dan
This topic comes up on a regular basis. The temperatures we roast at are not enough to create zinc fumes, as in welding, so that's not an issue. Zinc is not allowed in commericial food process equipment, but then it IS allowed in plumbing for drinking water. When roasting we don't have much moisture or acids to speak of, so reactivity isn't an issue. Frankly, I don't see a problem. I use galvanized hardware cloth for my cooling tray. Still, its easy enough to go food-safe. Just buy a coarse kitchen sieve (strainer/sifter). It is cheap, SS and already in a bowl shape. Dan

Ringo
Are you still looking for food safe mesh, I bought these disk from this I have them now. I will be using mine in my bean cooler. Nice and thick carbon steel, but will not bend. mhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Perforated-Metal-steel-discs-LIVE-STEAM_W0QQitemZ170446930531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item27af6dc263an,

bvwelch
Ringo, those look neat, but I've decided against that modification for now. thanks!

jimcro55
If you need a full stock list of wire mesh or some samples, go here...

http://www.bwire.com/

They have the best prices and can provide you with the best service. I used them to make my own BBQ 2 years back, and they were real helpful.

dazarooney
If you need some wire mesh you can try here:

wire mesh

danw2002
i know i am a bit late to the party, but you got to jump in sometime. why not just get a food wire strainer, and cut what you need from it, very cheep to do and safe. you could even just make it shaped like a cup and invert it, so you can just use it as you need to and take it out any time. not sure why you want to do this, i can do up to 5.5oz in my popper and get perfect results. moving to a BM/HG set up, as i have all the parts already and am good with electrical...more on that later.

ginny
Tons of kitchen steamer trays are available. They type that fit into the bottom of a pan and it has little legs, cut one the size you want, weld a little ring around it the height you want and bingo!

g

Jump to Forum: