Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/26/2020 6:37 AM
Everyone have a super Thanksgiving and may all your roasts turn out stellar woohoo

11/25/2020 4:20 PM
Howdy 1st CH and welcome to HR forum! Be sure to read in the forums to see if anything covers the topic and please post away in drum roaster forums Welcome

11/25/2020 3:35 PM
Hey everyone! I am new to the home roasters forum. Mainly here to read and learn! I’d also love to get advice about modifying my roaster (a Huky 500)

11/10/2020 5:29 PM
Welcome MJ, post away! Cheers

11/08/2020 6:05 PM
Hello All, New here, started with an air popper, now using fresh roast 800. I'm here to learn and connect with others Thank you

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,839
Newest Member: artifex
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Solis 5K query
ginny
Hi all:

I have noticed lately that my 5K seems to push the coffee a little slower. If I remember correctly is used to flow fairly evenly. Now it humps and bumps along.

Coffee is great. I am guessing it is the type of bean, firmer puck etc.

Any thoughts?

ginnys:8s:8B)B)GrinGrin
Edited by ginny on 03/07/2006 12:47 PM
metal
A little something I seen in a small village in the jungles of Mexico (and I was lost for days I should add). God knew my love for coffee so this is what he laid out for me. It is my opinion that as I stumbled into the village, it must have been obvious to the children that I was ill and dehydrated. They guided me to who must have been the doctor (or possibly the local drug addict). The doctor looked into my eyes closely. I wondered who's breath could have been worse...I think his for sure! He squeezed my mouth so as to open my lips and look in. He touched my tongue and lifted his finger to his nose. He twisted his face in many directions, then swatted me on the forehead. He gave me a drink of muddy water from an old bottle that had moss growing inside. Then he set out making my medication. With all the yelling and pointing he was doing, I was sure he was giving me the recipe as he prepared it for me. He dug out what looked like an old army helmet from under some dead palm branches. He put the helmet on a charcoal fire then tossed in a handful of coffee beans that he pulled from an old rag.
As soon as he heard first crack, I think he was starting to pray over the beans. He picked up a rock and scraped a cone of solid brown sugar against it and into the helmet with the beans and chaff. He poured some white powder from an old sock into a nice clean cup (where he stole the clean cup I have no clue). I later found out the powder was corn and dried lime called masa harina.

Now was time for the vanilla bean. He took a couple bites from a long black bean that I later found was vanilla from a local orchid in the jungle. He chewed and chewed, mumbled to himself and barked a few hundred words of some long lost language at me. He took the helmet off the fire before second crack and started to smash the beans in the helmet with a long stone that looked like it had a buttocks carved into the end of it. He chanted a bit and grabbed a handful of the now crushed coffee beans, tossed the ground coffee into the cup with the white powder then spit the vanilla bean into the cup, poured some hot muddy water into the cup and handed it to me with a big toothless smile. I think now, this may have been some sick joke they pull on any unsuspecting white man they drag from the jungle. When I woke up I was in my rental car that I lost four days ago. One hand duck taped to the steering wheel and the little plastic water bottle with the moss inside was hanging around my neck by a small twisted vine of sorts. I had mud from head to toe, like they had dragged me, passed-out, through the jungle to the car. They put 50 pesos on the dash for me and stole my billfold. The rental car company charged me 500 bucks to clean out the mud and urine smell...I think this was the most expensive cup of coffee I ever had!
Edited by metal on 03/06/2006 9:15 AM
Mike
We've got the makings of a novel here. s:2 You've got to give us the front end of this! Was Indiana Jones involved? ;)

You have got to come up with a coffe subject of any variety and write an article for us. s:1

Waiting with baited (or is it bated..or....)breath.

MikeB)
jimoncaffeine
Whoa... That's a good story! :) What it has to do with a Solis Espresso machine, I'm not quite sure... Could be in the imagery though... Have to drink a lot of coffee and think about it.

Anyway, back to the Solis:

Ginny,

Not an expert by any means and I haven't even seen a Solis 5k in person but bean type, roast and tamping pressure all will change extraction times.

A couple of things I've seen/heard affect extraction that are non-coffee related:
-scale build up (when did you last de-scale?)
-worn grinder burrs (worn burrs can produce an uneven grind with small particles that semi-plug the basket and then are forced through - results in grounds residual in the cup and flow like you are describing.)
-brew area clogged with old coffee - Maybe its time for a thorough cleaning.

Someone with more poetry in their soul than I will have to weave this into a better story though! :)

Jim
Edited by jimoncaffeine on 03/07/2006 3:07 PM
ginny
great story; I will contact deleted and see if I can spur him/her on to add as time goes on. Will move it to it's own thread. What it has to do with solis I have no idea but it makes no difference to me.

the solis 5K found a story teller!

g
s:8s:8GrinB)
metal
Well you guys, some of the above story is true. I also wanted to tell you what happen when I got home. My bottom was sore for days so I went to my doctor for him to check things out. He said " son if you don't stop having spankings this thing will always hurt you!" I said to him, doc I have never had that kind of spanking in my life! He said to me " You may not be doing it but someone has, then he looks puzzled, has another peek a my bottom, reaches in and pulls out a bit of that twisted vine that was holding the water bottle around my neck. He said "this is just sick, you are lucky this happened in Mexico with all those little folk. If this happened in L.A. your bottom would be sore for months. Then doc looked into my eyes with a big smile and asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee. I jumped up, and shot out of the office as fast as I could, ran to my car and pushed the duct tape that was on my seat off onto the floor. I wonder where the duct tape came from?

Here is a picture of what I think happened s:1s:5 notice the sore bottom?
Edited by metal on 03/16/2006 2:59 PM
pollywog
This sounds like Elmore Leonard envisioning a trip to Starbucks.

"Spanking?s:3" Methinks this post said something else when I read it earlier!Grin
metal
Had to make it kid friendly c:2 never know when the are going to peek around you and see what your up to
ginny
>>>This sounds like Elmore Leonard envisioning a trip to Starbucks.<<<

god yes...

g

s:8s:8B)Grin
Jump to Forum: