Users Online
Guests Online: 26

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
March 2010 roast comparison and tasting bean swap.
bvwelch
I'm interested, but was waiting for a reply to my question above. Perhaps it got lost in the web hiccups.
endlesscycles
bvwelch: I didn't want to agree to sending too much out for fear of not enough to go around. So far I only have money from CHAD and John D. With that said, if any of y'all want to bump it up to 10lbs, that will be:

10lb
$46.00 my cost
$11.00 flat rate box
$2.00 paypals cut
$1.00 ziplock bags and heavy load charge
(Bicycle is my only transportation!)
-----------------------------------
$60

Or the balance remaining from what had been purchased.
I'll be shipping after the lunch rush at the post office.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
seedlings
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Bicycle-trailer-for-outdoor-trekking.jpg

Grin
Consider it a business investment!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
randytsuch
Hopefully I'm not too late, I just saw this, and sent the money for #5 to Marshall.

Since the HB competition is over, I will try my hand at this one now. I never got a roast I really liked of the Ethopian from the HB event, hopefully I can do better with this one.

Randy
bvwelch
Marshall - sounds very reasonable. I sure wouldn't want anyone to miss out on joining in with us.

I'll send money for 10 pounds now, but if you end up short, that is OK, I'll take 5 pounds and maybe I can choose some of your other offerings to fill out the order. thanks! -bill
gene
Marshall:

I'm in for 5#- Just sent you the money.
Sounds like a winner!

gene
Marshall_S
Sorry I have to pass this time - my Gene Cafe is not heating properly:yuck: and I don't want to hold things up for anyone-
Marshall Schmidt
Foxboro, MA
endlesscycles
Just got in a good number of orders. This is going to be fun!

My one cafe account is increasing sales at an incredible rate, so I had to tend to an emergency roasting which may set orders back till the end of the day rush at the PO.

I'll give those who haven't jumped in till 4pm today.... of course if inventory looks good, I'll keep the offer open so everyone gets a chance to participate.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
endlesscycles
CHAD:

I'm torn between a trailer and a complete "Market Bike":
A long bike with a fold out table, inventory storage beneath, and a place for an umbrella.

Perhaps even a pedal driven grinder for those who just must have their coffee pre-ground.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
seedlings
Thinking about what roast level to start this exercise, I say we start with

lightest, City roast
-or-
start at Full City+, the first snap of 2nd crack

to get a baseline for comparison. Full City+ is easier to land on, but it would be interesting to see how others roast light.

Whatcha-whatcha-whatcha think?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/26/2010 2:32 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
endlesscycles
Based on my roasts with this coffee thus far, I don't think this dry process is the bean for illustrating roast names. It's far too wild. Getting to turn up ripe fruit flavors past eleven with a well developed light roast is the challenge I find this bean to offer. I think folks should roast it till they have what they think it best offers and submit that, final degree be darned.

As far as naming roasts, Sweet Maria's has macro pictures that are for all intents and purposes the absolute definition of the terms. I mean, the "+" is their invention, after all.

http://www.sweetm...images.php

Not the destination but the journey!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Hamilton
Have you shipped beans already, Marshall? I'd be in for a pound if you're still taking orders.
endlesscycles

Hamilton wrote:
Have you shipped beans already, Marshall? I'd be in for a pound if you're still taking orders.

Making another run to the PO in the morn before work.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Hamilton
Sorry to be "that guy". You should have money in your paypal.

Thanks for helping everyone out with this, too. I'm looking forward to it.
endlesscycles
FYI:

I have now sold all that I can allot from this really neat coffee. Lookin forward to what everyone does with it!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
bvwelch
Coffee arrived, thank you!

What's our next step?
John Despres
I'm in
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
endlesscycles
My thought is play with the beans until you kinda know what they've got and what you like, then share your results and notes with the others. With everyone's permission, I can re-mail the mailing list.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
John Despres
I think maybe we should let participants trade addresses. Thoughts?

We also need to resolve how we're going to taste the coffee. I'm for cupping it. I'm not great at it and have only done it a couple times, but it'll be fun to expand our skills and mail the samples for very little $$ since it could add up over a few months time.

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/01/2010 5:41 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
camper
I would like to trade roasted beans with someone to get their feedback.
Jump to Forum: