Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
March 2010 roast comparison and tasting bean swap.
endlesscycles
I have everyones address, so it might be easier that way, I thought. Cupping makes the most sense when you have several options in front of you, as here could be. It paints a picture quickly, and I think we'll all learn a whole lot fast after a few iterations and subsequent discussions.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
Ah.... Marshall, are you thinking I send a small cupping sample to all the players involved rather than just a sample to one partner?

I was thinking one partner, but I think I like this idea of samples to all players. In which case you're idea makes a lot of sense.

ThumbsUp

Thoughts, all?

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/01/2010 5:40 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres

endlesscycles wrote:
FYI:

I have now sold all that I can allot from this really neat coffee. Lookin forward to what everyone does with it!

I ordered 5 pounds and even though I love Ethiopia coffees, I'll share some if Marshall runs out.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch
I like the idea of sending out samples to all players too.

I have 10 pounds, and would be happy to share also.

seedlings
I'd love to have several to compare. You know, I've never even done that myself..? Roast 3 batches, then cup them to see how I did? Great idea.

Marshall, can you post the list of buyers?

Let's pick a day and everyone roast on that day, then ship the next day. Then we're comparing coffees rested the same amount of time? Wait until all entries arrive before cupping them side-by-side. Post pictures and comments! If you can, reserve enough of your OWN roast to add to the fun!

Anyone else who wants in, contact John, Bill, Randy or myself and we'll make sure you have some coffee to trade.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/02/2010 9:43 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Hamilton
I got my beans today, thanks Marshall! That was very fast. I'm looking forward to roasting, although I only have one pound of beans. I don't know that I'll have enough to send to everyone.

randytsuch
I'm in, got my 5# yesterday, thanks Marshall.

I have way too many greens, compared to my consumption, so I can share if someone else wants to join. I really only bought these greens to join the comparison, and see what I can learn.

I hope we have a little time before trading, so I can do a few sample roasts, and see what works best.

Randy

John Despres
All righty!

At the moment, the players are:

John Despres
Bill Welch
CHAD
Marshall Hance
Gene
Randy
Camper
Smatty1
Jerstew

Format suggestion:

Roasting date: March 20 or 21 - you choose This gives us all time for trials and tests between now and then. Who needs coffee, yet?

Roast degree: It's an Ethiopia - let's keep 'em light. My suggestion is for everyone to roast this bean to their favorite degree and we'll discuss from there. So: ending after 1st crack up to, if you so choose, the kiss of second crack.

Tasting: Let's all try a true cupping format. I posted a thread about cupping here: http://forum.home...post_19309 There's a great site posted by Koffee Kosmo, too.

How much to send one another: 1/4 ounce or 7 grams is rather typical for cupping. Perhaps 10 grams per participant? Depending on packaging, this amount will cost very little to send.

Mailing date: Monday March 22

Cupping date: March 27 or 28.

Post your results and comments right after cupping.

Last, and I probably don't need to go here, but we may need thick skins. It may be difficult to read negative (yet kind) comments if they go against something a roaster may be proud of. I imagine I may send a roast some do not care for and I hope they say so, but most importantly, I hope they say why. If nobody likes it (ouch!), I'll tough it out and survive. This is great group here and I'm excited to taste everyone's offerings.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
I've got little or no experience with cupping. But just reviewing this thread, amounts from 90g, 20g, 10g, and now 7g have been recommended... I need to do a little homework before I say anything further on that.

About the dates suggested: If those dates are good for everyone else, fine, but for me, it won't work so good, because I plan to be visiting my Mother on her 80th B'day, on the 29th. Sorry.

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
I've got little or no experience with cupping. But just reviewing this thread, amounts from 90g, 20g, 10g, and now 7g have been recommended... I need to do a little homework before I say anything further on that.

About the dates suggested: If those dates are good for everyone else, fine, but for me, it won't work so good, because I plan to be visiting my Mother on her 80th B'day, on the 29th. Sorry.

Bill, what date near the 20th would be best for you to roast and ship? With your documented mad roasting skills you WILL be in the rotation!

Regarding cupping, you'll only need to "brew" one cup of coffee for each sample, like in the sweetmarias HB contest video. So, we "can" get buy with small samples.

USPS rang the doorbell to deliver my greens while I am typing! Perfect!

CHAD

CUPPING INFO: http://coffeecupp...upping.htm
Edited by seedlings on 03/02/2010 6:16 PM

randytsuch
I counted 9 people participating, so we each send our roasts to the other 8.

How about 15 grams per? That would give two cuppings worth, with a little extra to spare. In case somebody wants to cup one or more of the roasts a 2nd time, they would be able to.

Everyone would be sending out 120 g total of coffee. I normally roast 140-150g per batch in my popper, and I have a feeling I am on the low end of batch size here, so I think that would work.

BTW, my palate is not very well educated, so don't expect many comments, but it will be interesting to taste something, and see what everyone else thinks about the same coffee.

Randy

camper
I like Randy's idea of sending 15 grams to everyone.
I have never been to a cupping, (didn't even know that cupping was done until about 2 months ago), but it sounds like fun. My descriptions of what I taste will be limited but I will be able to say whether I like the taste personally or not.
Any dates are good for me. Retired & with no plans right now.
camper (too wet to go camping)

seedlings
I just roasted and cupped this coffee! (Should I keep my comments to myself?) The hardest part would be measuring out 7 grams if you don't have a digital scale. However, it happened to be 70 beans for my roast, including some of the teensy beans.

I like the 15g idea.

CHAD

John Despres
Hey, it's about 10 beans per gram at my house, too. Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

Grin
Respect the bean.
John Despres

endlesscycles
Looks like John has the list posted well.

10g is enough. Personally, I like 20g for statistical relevance sake, and 40g even more especially blind so I can either contradict myself or be certain of the comments in my cupping notes. Though, any amount of sharing here is good for me.

Those dates look good. Of course there should be flex space for both individual roast and cupping dates, but to be fair to the others we should hold tight on ship dates.

I don't want to make suggestions on y'alls roast, but I do want to let y'all know this is very much a ripe dry process bean and to expect that it not follow a tight program. I feel it only fair to share that little heads up.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
I find Ethiopias roast better with a little loser, watch, smell & listen approach, less clock and more observation...

I agree, if the dates don't work for each of us, I think there's room for adjustments on each participant's part. There's a little latitude so we can all have our samples in time for a common cupping date.

Oh, and please do not rank the roasts as a favorite or least favorite.

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/02/2010 9:16 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

camper wrote:
I like Randy's idea of sending 15 grams to everyone.
I have never been to a cupping, (didn't even know that cupping was done until about 2 months ago), but it sounds like fun. My descriptions of what I taste will be limited but I will be able to say whether I like the taste personally or not.
Any dates are good for me. Retired & with no plans right now.
camper (too wet to go camping)

Camper,

I'm hoping the follow up discussions will help build my vocabulary. We all talk about dried fruit, honey dew, tobacco, earthy funk and chocolate, with or without cherry and even Tootsie Rolls, but now we'll be discussing it on a similar plane as we'll all be tasting the same coffee and that's very exciting!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
Hey Chad, thanks for the link to Jim and Bob's cupping info -- I see now where the 7g comes from.

My travel plans aren't firmed up yet, but approx 26th-30th I'd be away from the mailbox and the roaster. Thanks!

bvwelch
Hey all you guys and gals out there! Come on and join us!

It will be fun, and we will all learn something. My roasting is a disaster, you should see my notebook. :-)

Last time, I went thru nearly the whole two pounds I had, and then just picked the batch that was least nasty-looking, and sent it in. :-)

Hamilton
I will probably have about 4 ounces of roasted beans to send out. If that works with however many grams we are sending per person, I'd like to be in on this too

randytsuch

Hamilton wrote:
I will probably have about 4 ounces of roasted beans to send out. If that works with however many grams we are sending per person, I'd like to be in on this too

at 15 grams per, 9 total people (so you are shipping to 8), it works out to 120grams, which converts to 4.2 ounces, a little tight.

If you need more coffee, I have 5 lbs of green, and don't need that much, so I can send some your way.

BTW, I was also thinkgin 15 grams doesn't allow very much for grinder waste. My grinder is pretty efficient, so it would work for me, not sure about everybody else.

And, 15 grams is a little over 1/2 an ounce. Adding a envelope, and a ziplock, should still be under 2 ounces. If we just ship first class mail, around 60 cents per.

Randy
Edited by randytsuch on 03/03/2010 10:00 AM

John Despres

bvwelch wrote:

Last time, I went thru nearly the whole two pounds I had, and then just picked the batch that was least nasty-looking, and sent it in. :-)

Well, given your third place finish, I'd say you have a darn good eye...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I'll be cupping 8-10 gram cups. 15 grams is too much, I think. For the smaller batch roasters, 10 grams will leave a little for them to keep at home and cup alongside the others.

Let's just send 10 grams each.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

bvwelch wrote:
My travel plans aren't firmed up yet, but approx 26th-30th I'd be away from the mailbox and the roaster. Thanks!

I think you can make the roast dates and mailing date, Bill - Cup and post when you can.

And Happy Birthday to Mom!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
Sounds like a plan to me.

Jump to Forum: