renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Selling your home roasted coffee
leafer
I live in Mississippi, and I have a bbq roaster fitted with an RK drum. I have many people who love my coffee, and I'd like to start selling it. Does anyone know what steps I would have to take to do this? I have contacted the health department, and they said I'd need three sinks with a hand-washing sink in an enclosed area separate from my house, food-grade coffee bags, and my labels would have to state something in particular. I have a space in mind I could use, but what concerns me is that the inspector asked me (over the phone; he hasn't seen my "space" yet) if my roaster would require venting. Does this mean that the health department would expect me to have my roaster inside the enclosure? I just don't see how it would be possible to vent a bbq drum roaster. Any experience, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

seedlings
Welcome, leafer! You might find these threads interesting:

http://forum.home...rowstart=0

http://forum.home...ead_id=955

Your experience is right on par with others'. I contacted my local zoning enforcement and they did suggest one alternate solution, to put your rig on a cart, then "if" your neighborhood zoning allowed, the only items subject to inspection would be on the cart.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/08/2010 8:43 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

leafer
Hey Chad,

Thanks for the links -- good info there. Hmm, well my roaster is a bbq that has wheels: does that count as a cart? Probably not, huh?

seedlings

leafer wrote:
Hey Chad,

Thanks for the links -- good info there. Hmm, well my roaster is a bbq that has wheels: does that count as a cart? Probably not, huh?

Doesn't matter what I think. You have to plead your case with the restricto-o-crats Roflmao
Sorry about that. I'ts worthwhile to give the inspector a call and ask. Do you live in a suburbia neighborhood, or out in the sticks?

CHAD

leafer
No, it's fine -- I was joking, but hey, if it's fine by him . . . lol. Anyway, I live in a small town neighborhood, in the city limits, so I guess it would qualify as a suburb.

JETROASTER
I Live in Ny, giving us as much regulation as anyone.
State requirements for non-prepared foods are easier than prepared foods .
A licence is required thru the nys dept of agriculture. Kitchen inspection, 3 sinks , general safe food handling.
...clean, clean, clean.
Being incorporated is an added expense that simply limits your personal exposure to liability. (you choose)
Labeling is a Federal affair ;

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/default.htm

It is a bit more work and expense. Keep in mind your product is worth it. So is your credability.
Friends and neighbors is one thing. To sell commercially
without compliance would expose you to problems.
You state Dept of Health can be a huge resource. It is their mission to make sure you are educated. Consider it a
consulting service your already paying for.
Good Luck , Scott

JETROASTER
Oops, forgot about the scales. Yearly inspection, N.Y.S dept of weights and measures.
Good Luck, Scott

leafer
Hey Scott! Thanks for the info. Yeah, it all sounds pretty much like what the inspector told me, too. My only real concern, other than "approval" for my kitchen space, is that they would expect me to have my roaster in my kitchen space -- there's just no way that I could see that happening, since how is it possible to vent smoke from a bbq roaster to the outside? I suppose maybe a hood with a powerful exhaust fan might work, but it wouldn't be something I could do in my space.

JETROASTER
In NY , your current space would become your commissary kitchen. Another mobile unit (for roasting)would then need to pass it's own inspection, using the commissary as it's home base.
a mobile unit may not even be needed, but there is no escaping
the commissary requirement.
Plenty of restaurants have outdoor grilling or smoking facilities.
( being a yankee, I will not pontificate on BBQ, the delta owns it!)
It's worth it to establish a good relationship with your local D.O.H. people. They will provide alot of great info specific to your area.

opus
Wow, I can imagine the health people coming to look at my roasting setup....too funny!!

milknmycoffee
That's OK opus...all you would have to do is brew them some of your roasts and they would pass your roasting set up with flying colors!

endlesscycles
Now, isn't amendment IV just awesome?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Randy G
There's also the issue of liability insurance. I looked into it as I was working on becoming the customer assistance agent for a small company that sells roasters. The cost was astronomical. And if there was a claim, it went up to the point that I would rather use it to make payments on a Ferrari... and a tropical island.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

DavidG
Randy,

I can only imagine!!! Little boxes with a fire inside!

Basic insurance for a comapny that wants to roast and sell beans should be simple and not expensive, though. A basic commercial general liability policy (in the business called a CGL) should do it -- no different that the policy a small restaurant or artisan bakery might carry. A friend runs a roastery/cafe and a separate cafe location too -- insurance is not unusual or that expensive. The insurance is a cost you'll have to budget -- but nothing like the products liability coverage you'd need as a manufacturer or dealer of roasters. OK, geeky risk management soapbox put away, now.

My brother is a partner in a roller coaster design firm (no lie). Getting insurance for their company was a CRAZY adventure.... Side note, Lloyd's of London, the international clearing house for insurance risk, was started as a seafarer's coffee house. The bean pops up all over....

David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

JETROASTER
The underwriters nightmare is the 'scratchbuilt' machine.
Roasting in a small seperate (metal) building is one way of limiting exposure. Learned this the scary way. Scott

ginny
Hi Leafer:

do check CHADS links.

It is still a crap shoot in a lot of areas since most health depts do not know what to do with coffee.

At the PHOENIX PUBLIC MARKET, I set up my drum, my Hot Top and had no trouble;
same with San Luis Obispo local farmers. In those places I was considered a guest chef so I was not required to do a thing.

I could roast at my apartment in Scottsdale as long as I had insurance and a food handlers card (the kind every illegal has) and was not cooking/roasting "fresh food.!!

rules are everywhere and most do not apply to coffee roasting.

let us know how it works out.

ginny

great thered!

farmroast
I got approved by my health dept. to sell beans in my town only or it would become a state issue. Just needed to have my scale certified. Considered it a farm product from my farm. I'm not sure what a kitchen has to do with roasting coffee. Any place I've seen a commercial roaster looks nothing like a kitchen.
Edited by farmroast on 04/14/2010 3:42 PM
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Hamilton

freshbeans wrote:
The underwriters nightmare is the 'scratchbuilt' machine.
Roasting in a small seperate (metal) building is one way of limiting exposure. Learned this the scary way. Scott

I wonder what sort of building would qualify as small, safe, and food approvable?

I have been thinking about roasting outside the home at some point down the road, but I don't know of any warehouse type space that you can lease at less than 3000 sq feet. That's bigger than my whole apartment!
Tim

seedlings
I wonder if our two 4'x8' raised garden beds count us as a "farm".

CHAD

farmroast

seedlings wrote:
I wonder if our two 4'x8' raised garden beds count us as a "farm".

CHAD

"Seedlings" sounds farmy to me. Pulled the farm part out as an ace in the hole but think I would have been ok'd without it. Our town is pretty supportive of local products and not needlessly burdening small producers.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Unta
Easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission?????
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings

Unta wrote:
Easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission?????

He says as he pays his hefty fines, with no customer base Roflmao

If we're going to take the plunge, we better check to see what's under the surface...

Couldn't resist,
CHAD

Unta
yeah i guess your right..:P
Edited by Unta on 04/14/2010 8:56 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

leafer
Ok everyone, here's the update. After a lengthy conversation with my health department official, it appears that there is no way I can do this because my roaster needs to be INSIDE my kitchen space. And with that being the case, there is no way I can vent it. Of course, I could set up a huge fan for exhaust, and I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I cant modify my "kitchen" area because it is part of the house I am renting. This all makes me very sad because I have people who want my coffee, and it appears my customer base could expand greatly, but my beans are tied . . . sigh.

Unta
thats a crock.. keep digging.. the health dept isnt the top of the food chain.. cooking outside is not unhealthy i dont care how ignorant one man is.. PUSH ON!!!BEST sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

Jump to Forum: