Print Thread
chaff
tortillatree
so i've heard all kinds of things about chaff. i heard of a roaster that used it for chicken bedding, one that gave it to farmers for composting on their fields. i heard that starbucks pulverizes it and makes frappuccino powder from it. i heard that there's a hot drink in Yemen culture that uses just the chaff and not the bean. do you guys know anything about my chaff rumors, and do you have any of your own?

John Despres
I compost mine, mostly because I think that's all it's good for. If I had chickens, I might use it for beds.

I've tried brewing and making tea with it and it's quite flavorless, so I don't know how Starbucks can get anything out of it.

Yemen Qishr tea is very good, but it's made from the husks and not the chaff. Sweet Maria's has it for sale. http://www.sweetm....yemen.php

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

DavidG
Hey, tortillatree, great first post!!

Haven't given chaff much thought, except to (i) sweep or vacuum it up after roasting, or (ii) remind me of ancient references to wheat and chaff, and that I don't want to be chaff. I'd rather be coffee... I think.

David G
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

seedlings
I read in Ken Davids' book that chaff is flavorless. Mine gets swept out to the yard and either taken by birds or blown away.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: