Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 23

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Freshbeans Air-Roaster
dja
yep so back to the 1pounder.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
JETROASTER
Although painfully slow, I've been making a new RC for the 5lb machine ....Using a little mixing bowl technology. I put Max in the frame for scale.
The question ; If I reshape the flame and force the tip up into the RC, would that likely create any of the characteristics of a direct -flame roaster?

There are some obvious hazards involved....but just thinking out loud. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
5lbhopper.jpg
JETROASTER
A little video before the rebuild. Some of these components are going away soon, in favor of things more functional or simply more attractive.
The combustion liner will be changed in an effort to spread out the center of the flame. The casing will get changed out....because it's ugly... and the RC because it's extremely ugly.
It will also become a bit larger....I've got plenty of heat.
I can't afford any down-time for this machine, so once I have my parts, it will get taken apart and redone quickly. I will shoot video of that, David (dja) has an interest in taking a stab at it. For now, this is all I've got.

A little something to hold Davids interest. "pilot light" hmph! -Scott

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvwYpBx2NY[/video]
Koffee Kosmo
I am captivated by the blue flame
Went to a happy daydream place when I once worked in the steel yard Grin

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
allenb
Put me in the interested list on seeing the combustion chamber casing re-do. This is a one-of-a-kind burner setup that I will also want to take a stab at down the road when I try my hand at building a bubblebed.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER
Ok, it's time to redo this combustion liner. It works, but as you'll see...there is room for improvement.
I did not set out to create a jet, I just wanted to create a compact flame that wouldn't get blown out. Introducing the air in stages was the plan. I realized afterwards that I had created a 'can-type' combustion chamber.

The redo is all about increasing air delivery at the base of the flame, and making the dilution a bit ....smoother.
So it's off to the store to get a few more of these 8" threaded pipes. The holes will get drilled a bit different. 4 larger holes down low to feed combustion, with a bunch of smaller holes up higher for dilution.

The longer term plan is to make all that variable... on the fly.
liner2.jpg
JETROASTER
Here's a side view showing the air-path as it happens inside the casing
liner_notes.jpg
JETROASTER
....And the burner.
The size of the burner worked out well. It obstructs the pipe just well enough to force air out into the casing, where it then re-enters in stages, based on how the liner is perforated.

The lower holes directly feed combustion, while the upper holes serve the purpose of dilution.

So, the issue of creating a flame that won't get blown out, is solved by creating more pressure, in a smaller area, and using that to 'build' the flame in sections.
........I think -Scott
burner.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 02/29/2012 7:59 PM
allenb
Howdy Scott,

Could the outer casing/plenum (not shown in your posts) be a square can to allow installing a glass viewing window to be able to watch the flame?
The glass wouldn't need to be high temp nor very thick and could be affixed via silicone.
We all love watching fire! Especially when it's heat for our roasters.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER
How about 2 flanges(upper and lower) sandwiching a boro tube? -Scott
allenb
Thats a great idea.

How big of a diameter would be needed to allow enough air passage?
allenb
Of course you know you would then be compelled to make the bored, air mixing sleeve out of polished brass pipe instead of steel.
JETROASTER

allenb wrote:

How big of a diameter would be needed to allow enough air passage?

3 " would do it. The flange would be small and simple.

allenb wrote:
Of course you know you would then be compelled to make the bored, air mixing sleeve out of polished brass pipe instead of steel.

....which leads to brass flanges, decorative glass vessels, etc. Sadly, I've already designed it...I just can't afford to build it.

I've priced out building it with brass, and chromed brass. Ouch.
-Scott
allenb
So I guess the gem encrusted glass goblet burner section will have to wait for the next version with upgrade option.:trink29:
dja
Ok send me some photos that I can blow up my old eyes ain't what they used to be. that way I can see how this thing is put together.

I really wouldn't put brass in close to the flame as it will heat color and won't look so good after a little bit I would think.

I wonder if this will fit inside a piece of 5 inch exhaust tube that I have been meaning to use to turn my roaster into a free standing floor model.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
JETROASTER

allenb wrote:
So I guess the gem encrusted glass goblet burner section will have to wait for the next version with upgrade option.:trink29:

If I find one...I'll use it!Grin I also want to use the trusty peep-hole viewer. I'm hoping to get a panoramic view in the flame-tube by positioning the viewer just outside the tube ...looking into one of the dilution holes.

dja wrote:
Ok send me some photos.
>clip<
I really wouldn't put brass in close to the flame as it will heat color and won't look so good after a little bit I would think.

I'll try to do a quick assembly video. That should illustrate what's going on. I'll send some pics as well.

The brass dis-coloring; hopefully not... if I do things correctly. The dilution holes are also intended to keep the liner cool.

In its current form, I can grab the upper coupler ...bare handed, after roasting any number of loads.

The dilution holes create a curtain of cooler air along the inner walls of the flame tube.
-Scott
Canadian
All I can say is Wow ! This looks quite impressive. I'm getting visions [hallucinations] of hooking up the 2" main gas line coming in thru the garage ! :)

Question: what the hell are you using to push all that air to loft the green in the initial stages ?

-Todd
cheers...Todd

Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
------------------------------------------------------
It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity. - Dave Berry
JETROASTER
Hi Todd,
Thanks! This thing is slowly getting redone. I'll be sticking with the current blower;

http://www.ametek...rd_ID=6597

-Scott
047.jpg
JETROASTER
....it's been a while.
The new roast chamber(RC) was to be 10lbs. It's shaping up to be closer to 12lbs.
So, far, I've done 2 hot-checks with no issues. It uses the same blower and combustion chamber. It is obviously larger and it has been reworked inside to increase its capacity.
It's built with some mixing bowls. an old coffee urn, martini shakers, sink drains, and whatever wasn't bolted down.

No beans yet, but probably by next weekend. I'll also get some shots of the inside.
Cheers, -Scott
rc10.jpg
BryanG
Looks like a steampunk roasting chamber ... put a couple copper tube coils around it and you have a masterpiece that can be sold as art!

I like it!
Jump to Forum: