Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
China Yunnan Simao
smatty1
Anybody tried this yet:??
http://www.coffee...d=CHINAYUN

I was waiting for a review to show up, but no dice...
Edited by ginny on 07/08/2010 10:12 PM
ginny
Not yet but may. Thanks.

ginny
ginny
hey smatty, I made your link click????

g
John Despres
Interesting. If their matrix is standard, with a 50 point cupper's correction, the score is very low at 69. Very low...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

ginny wrote:
hey smatty, I made your link click????

g

Thanks. I forgot I had to do that:)
smatty1

John Despres wrote:
Interesting. If their matrix is standard, with a 50 point cupper's correction, the score is very low at 69. Very low...

John

Wouldnt be a total shocker, I guess...another low quality product out of china:)
I'd buy from CBC more if they had decent descriptions of their coffees. It looked interesting. Never seen a coffee from china before.....
John Despres

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

John

Wouldnt be a total shocker, I guess...another low quality product out of china:)
I'd buy from CBC more if they had decent descriptions of their coffees. It looked interesting. Never seen a coffee from china before.....

Makes me wonder why they offer it...

I'm pleased with the results from Sweet Maria's and do 90% of my shopping there, with little forays out based on specific coffee recommendations from others.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

John

Makes me wonder why they offer it...

I'm pleased with the results from Sweet Maria's and do 90% of my shopping there, with little forays out based on specific coffee recommendations from others.

CBC has been hit or miss for me. I like their variety tho. I've had great luck with Burman these days....
happysheep
There is now quite good coffee grown in China - in two places: Hainan Island and Yunnan.
Hainan produces small quantities, whereas coffee growing is now quite widespread in south-west and west Yunnan in two ares: Simao and Baoshan.
Nestle and Starbucks now buy coffee from Yunnan, and sell in China and overseas.
The best coffee comes from Baoshan area. Some is roasted in Baoshan for export, and other lots are snapped up by buyers in Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.
If you want to try, I can send you some samples of green beans for roasting, or roasted beans.
I am working with some small organic growers. In the past, quality was low in China, but in recent years production has improved along with quality, and also more Chinese are trying coffee - here it is a high status item.
Yunnan is a remote province of China, and shares borders with Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Burma and Tibetan areas.
If you want to try the best Yunnan coffee, from the Mekong river - drop me an email [email protected]
seedlings
Is altitude the limiting factor for good Chinese coffee, or something else?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
happysheep
Coffee is grown in areas where tea is also produced, particularly around Simao, It is grown from 1000-1500m asl.
The limiting factors are available land with good water supply.

"The Yunnan arabica coffee is similar to Colombian, but is different from other coffees for it's mild body, fruit flavour and strong aroma. The Simao region borders on Burma, Laos and Vietnam. Coffee is grown at an average altitude of 1,200m in the hills of the Guizhou Plateau on either side of the Lankang-Jiang river, a tributary of the Mekong. The coffee grows in perfect harmony with the primary and secondary forest vegetation, creating a series of eco-systems that have no need of anti-cryptogams or weed killers; it is processed ecologically and organically."

"The coffee story in China began in the early 19th century when a French missionary brought coffee seedlings to a place known as Zhukula in Bichuan county, Yunnan province. About 3.3 acres of coffee were planted then and about 20 of those trees still exist today. These were the earliest coffee trees planted in China. Today coffee plantations in Yunnan have increased to over 20,000 hectares. Most of which is consumed domestically but a small portion is exported."

If you want to try the best Yunnan coffee, from the Mekong river - drop me an email [email protected]
smatty1
Thanks for the info, happysheep! Sounds interesting:)
Jump to Forum: