Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A Debate...
ginny
After a comment about capps being espresso I decided to ask the members what they think.

I believe espresso is espresso; a single, double or cafe crema is an espresso.

I don't believe that espresso based drinks are espresso. That's like saying a cup of coffee is espresso!

Hence a capp is a capa, an americano is an americano and so on down the line of "coffee drinks".

Let's hear from others and get some thoughts on this...

ginny

alwayss:8s:8 GrinB)
Edited by ginny on 03/21/2006 10:16 AM
metal
Well said ginny, An analogy is in order. A buffalo has some genes that make up a cow but obviously they are two completely different animals, both produce allot of bull and the heifers produce cr?me for the breve.
Edited by metal on 03/21/2006 10:30 AM
ginny
Bart,

Thanks for the post. I could not open the image. I got the url but could go no further.

ginny

GrinB)B)
John Despres
I concur, Ginny. Just found this thread... Espresso is a shot of coffee extracted through a portafilter and unadulterated by additives, with the possible exception of sugar.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Breve - YUMMMMMMMMMM
Edited by John Despres on 10/29/2008 7:34 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
I say put espresso in everything! Brownies, chili, ice-cream... yeah!

I agree, though with your espresso-based drinks theory, except, where doesa latte fit? A macchiato?

And what metal said about the beef.
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 10/29/2008 8:29 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Kaffee Bitte
You left out ristrettos and lungos, ginny! You are right though espresso is the coffee portion of the beverage. Anything else added means it is just an espresso based drink.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."
ginny
Lynn:

dear one, I did not leave out, I ignored them.

You must explain to those who do not know what ristrettos and lungos are so we can continue this debate!!

love ya dude,

ginny

s:8s:8s:8
cuz I really, rerally need to fit into my mermaid costume tonight!!
John Despres
Lynn, Ginny's first post in this thread is 2 1/2 years old. Lungos and 'strettos weren't invented then...

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
What's a lungo? Really..?

Eddie told me this was it:

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
L0$ER[1116].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 10/31/2008 3:08 PM
ginny
Gosh, I hate to be the one to tell you guys but
Eddie shaves his legs!!!

not because he rides a bike!!!

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8

creepy friday...

ginny
Kaffee Bitte
Ristretto's and lungos have been around for decades if not since near the beginning of espresso.

Ristretto's are pulled short, between 3/4 ounce and 1.5 ounces. This is using at least 14 grams of coffee, usually much more. I have heard of people using upwards of 22 grams for ristrettos. They are VERY strong shots that require a finer grind to pull correctly. They also should run between 30-45 seconds as opposed to the more common guide post of 20-30 for normales.

Normales are pulled to be between 2--2.5 ounces for a double or 1-1.5 for a single.

Lungos are somewhere between 3-4 ounces. These require a coarser grind than normales due to the larger required volume. They are also rather difficult to pull well. It takes practice and patience.

Cafe Crema's are between 4-5 ounces. Even coarser grind and even harder to pull than Lungos. They are rather similar in flavor, when pulled properly to an american consisting of a double normale with three ounces of water.

From there espresso and espresso based drinks terminology just gets more confusing. Machiatos, Cappacinos, lattes? There are hundreds of variations in what constitutes each of these. Go to ten different shops and you will get fifteen different drinks.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."
John Despres
Lynn, Thanks for all that great information! s:1 I didn't know what a lungo is.

If ristretto means a restrained pull, does lungo mean a long pull? I'm a little rusty on my Italian.

I did know they've been around for years however. It was more a comment on this old thread I dug up from the cobwebs of the basement.
Edited by John Despres on 11/01/2008 9:27 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
John Despres

ginny wrote:
Gosh, I hate to be the one to tell you guys but
Eddie shaves his legs!!!

not because he rides a bike!!!

Sure, why not? Keeps the superhero tights smooth. At least that's why I do...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Dan
I do too. It keeps the chaff from clinging when I roast in the nude.
John Despres
So, Ginny, what's yer point? Seems there's a lot of smooth legged guys around here.

s:5s:5s:5
Respect the bean.
John Despres
ginny
No point except that we mature women here loves legs!!! When I had my pub/cafe in
Cupertino, CA (right around the corner from Apple Computers, we had a "cute legs contest"
twice a year. Al the guys were behind a curtain with just legs showing...

what a scream, you should have seen the guys pose their fabulous legs!!!

all the gals from the pub took the winner out to "The Cats" in Los Gatos for dinner and serious fun!!

Maybe we shouyld have a cute legs contest right here??

ginny

this is fun

s:8s:8s:8
John Despres
Well, that's certainly a good point. Bad Boy Legs and Bad Girl Legs contest.

I like to look at legs s:6
Edited by John Despres on 11/01/2008 1:00 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
ginny
John:

1st we have a "Bad Boys Cute Legs Contest."

I can spell out the data for entry if you guys are bold enough to do this...

this is coffee related since we are all roasters!!

You can send pictures/movie/slide show to the selected person who will keep all until the entry time closes...

at that time all entries will be posted and voted on.If we do not have enough ladies to judge from
homeroasters.org I have the Institute of Great Guys Legs members who will be included in the judging for thre winners.

As yet we/I have not gotten any prizes but I am confident that in a few days I can have some for the lucky winners.

John, ya game? Eddie, ya game? all of you fellows are your ready??

this will be fun, fun and more fun!!

ginny, your wackyn admin!!

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8
John Despres
What the heck, fire the starters pistol, I'm in! Sounds like a new thread, though. I gotta go tone up a bit 'cuz I'm afraid of Chad's pins...
Edited by John Despres on 11/01/2008 4:02 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
seedlings

John Despres wrote:
What the heck, fire the starters pistol, I'm in! Sounds like a new thread, though. I gotta go tone up a bit 'cuz I'm afraid of Chad's pins...

I'm glad you didn't misspell "pins". One rogue "e" and this would have to go to an entirely different website.

And, instead of ZZ top, how about "Drop Dead Legs" by Van Halen?

CHAD
Jump to Forum: