renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rapid Cool
JETROASTER
I read 'How To Achieve Excellence in Fluid-Bed Roasting'.
M. Sivetz (I think) mentioned some Japanese roasters cooling quickly with dry ice.
...Got me thinking about injecting a tiny stream of CO2 into the air-stream, under the bean mass after the burner is off.
It's a fluid bed roaster, I roast and cool in the same chamber, then dump.
Too much CO2 on hot metal presents its own problems, beyond that,
I haven't talked myself out of it yet.
Crazy??? -Scott

Unta
dry ice is my next venture, glad to hear its already being done. no comment on co2.sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
A little added fire-control isn't so bad either. -Scott

Dan
Have you considered cooling with compressed air? When compressed air is released it takes on heat. I would look at some sort of air filter to remove moisture and oil mist.

JETROASTER
That would be clever. I think clean is easy enough to achieve. The compresssor is already set up for paint work.
Higher pressure through tiny orifice, or just good ol' CFM?
Thanks -Scott

allenb
You should consider building a wirbelrohr.

There not hard to build according to some sites I've seen. I'm not sure how many cfm out you get versus input.

http://www.newman...vortex.htm
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

dja
do a strip down on the compressor and refill it with non-toxic oil such as what is used in diving compressor.
the air when released thru an orfice will generate a large enough drop in temperature if released thru the right size orfice to cause it ti freeze up.
It would take a rather large size air compressor to drop the roasting temp on a batch of beans in any kind of normal time frame.

They build cooling devices that use this principal for guys that do sandblasting, you hook up an air hose to a vortex tube and turn on the air, and you have instant cold air. not large enough to cool beans with thou
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

John Despres
Can you dump and then cool?

My vacuum/colander cooler with agitator brings the beans to room temp in 70 seconds.

Is that too slow?

Not stepping on creative innovation here, at all - just curious.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Unta
How many pounds of beans?
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
This is why I love this place!! Looking at all these ideas,
I'm starting to think that a wirbelrohr(thanks Allen) in conjunction with a small amount of H2O would speed the cooling alot, or at least enough.
M Sivetz insists that introducing a small amount of H2O is not a detriment.
dja, I'm looking to cut my cooling time below the current 3-4 minutes, so a little boost is probably all that's needed. The teardown makes good food-sense.
John, dump and cool works, but it smokes up the room when I disconnect the exhaust tube.
Aside from that, every time I think of building a cooler, I think....with a little more work, I can build another roaster.

Sean, 5lbs. and btw, hows your machine shaping up?

During the winter, this stuff never enters my mind. But this summer is stretching my cooling cycle too much.
Always looking for more ideas...Thanks All -Scott

endlesscycles
I've got a 1,000 cfm blower pulling air through a 17" diameter perforated plate; It cools 5 roasted pounds to ambient in about 2 minutes.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
1000 cfm sounds effective enough.
I still have the desire to get this wrapped up within the same closed system.
The idea is to reduce cooling to 1 minute, dump at 160 degree angle, prop up to 45 degree to reload, then back up
to roasting position, which clicks into the exhaust port connection.
Keeping the footprint small will make it easier to install .....in the ambulance I bought.

Is there a name for this sickness? -Scott

endlesscycles

freshbeans wrote:
1000 cfm sounds effective enough.
I still have the desire to get this wrapped up within the same closed system.
The idea is to reduce cooling to 1 minute, dump at 160 degree angle, prop up to 45 degree to reload, then back up
to roasting position, which clicks into the exhaust port connection.
Keeping the footprint small will make it easier to install .....in the ambulance I bought.

Is there a name for this sickness? -Scott

You are on the same design path as I!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
....Let's hear it!! -Scott

dkoch

freshbeans wrote:
This is why I love this place!!
Always looking for more ideas...Thanks All -Scott

I totally agree. The folks here are sooooooooo helpful and generous. For example, you Scott.

Thanks!!
Dave

seedlings
Scott, how well will a closed system deal with pressure changes?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
My Bad. 'Closed' is a bit misleading. This is not a recirculating system.
From blower intake to the roof cap it remains closed until I disconnect the RC from the exhaust line that heads to the chaff collector.
The RC currently comes of off the combustion chamber to be dumped, Then reload, light the fire, put the RC back on, secure exhaust, off you go.
The intent is to hinge the bottom of the RC, and make the exhaust at a 90 so it direct connects when the RC is put in the upright position.

Dealing with pressure changes is why this burner evolved the way it did.
We'll get into that as soon as I can display it properly.
-Scott

endlesscycles
I'm thinking about a fully closed system with chaff collector and electrostatic precipiator to keep the air clean. Similar bean dump idea. Only exhaust would be from cooling. Solar powered and emissions free is the goal. One step at a time...
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
I admire your ambition.
We don't think of solar power much in upstate NY. Our weather is similar to Seattle....grey.
On your project; Ametek has a line of regenerative blowers that might be in line with your project. They look similar to the ones in the Neotec roasters.
This link should help narrow it down.
Good Luck!! -Scott

http://www.ametek...%20Blowers

edit: Made the link click-able
Edited by John Despres on 07/28/2010 5:51 PM

JETROASTER
A new victim in the little coffee shop of horrors. It is a Sodastream, home soda maker.
It will be cannibalized or altered in some awful way, to inject a stream of CO2 into the roaster for a quick cool-down.
I plan to inject at a low point in the RC, perhaps into the path of the falling beans along the sides of the chamber.
I haven't really seen alot of evidence that this actually makes better coffee, but at 80 bucks, it's worth a try.
If it is a total flop, I'll try carbonated espresso. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
co2.jpg

dja

Dan wrote:
Have you considered cooling with compressed air? When compressed air is released it takes on heat. I would look at some sort of air filter to remove moisture and oil mist.

forget filtering the oil out, change it so theres no chance of contaminated beans.

with a small compressor, disassemble it clean it in non toxic cleaner, (Dawn Dishwashing Compound) then reassemble with non toxic oil like mineral oil, or oil used in air compressors for scuba
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

oldgearhead
Since 1975 Thomas has made an 'oil-less' model of their 'wobble'
compressor. I believe its the 2220 series. Reliable and compact..
No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: