Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,224
Newest Member: beccabeelime

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Aug/Sept Roast Comparison
seedlings
Last time (I thought) one roasting goal was to compare light roasts. This time we can have a different goal... explore and find what you think best represents the coffee, then cup to compare? Some would be lighter, some darker.

We should include some basic roasting data (how long to first crack, second crack, end of roast), and, for fun, include what you think the final roast level is (city+, vienna, whatever).

One cupping form would be great. Doesn't matter which one to me, except that 'cupper's correction' has always made me wonder...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
rama
I'm in for 5#. Sounds like a great learning experience!
ginny
John:

I agree to all that has been setup for this experience.

Cupped before? No just for myself. This will be wonderful.

Thanks, I think!!

ginny:P
randytsuch

seedlings wrote:
Last time (I thought) one roasting goal was to compare light roasts. This time we can have a different goal... explore and find what you think best represents the coffee, then cup to compare? Some would be lighter, some darker.

We should include some basic roasting data (how long to first crack, second crack, end of roast), and, for fun, include what you think the final roast level is (city+, vienna, whatever).

One cupping form would be great. Doesn't matter which one to me, except that 'cupper's correction' has always made me wonder...

CHAD

Chad,
I remember the opposite, that last time, it was up to the roaster to decide light or dark. I went light, but a few went dark, at least dark by my standards.

For our cupping form, I encourage simplicity, to not intimidate people.

Randy
allenb

John Despres wrote:
If all players agree to use the same system/cupping form, we'll level the playing field a bit.
There are suggestions in the last comparison thread we can look at, but let's all agree on a single format.
I know some may say, "I've never cupped before" but there has to be a first time, right?
As to the form, we can choose one or create our own from a combination of others.
The cupping process is pretty simple, actually. If one has a grinder, cups, spoons and hot water, it can be done.
John

This was from one of your posts in Feb this year. If we want to use a form I think we could cut/paste from it.

Any thoughts?

Here's a list of the attributes cuppers look for in the cupping process:

Dry grounds fragrance
Wet grounds aroma
Body/Mouthfeel
Acidity
Complexity
Depth
Regional distinction
Sweetness
Balance

Each attribute would be rated on a 1-5 system -
5=Excellent
4=Outstanding
3=Satisfactory
2=Weak
1=Negligible Fade to black coffee

John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and much more.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
allenb
This link:http://coffeecupp...upping.htm

is from a post Chad placed during the March roast comparison.

It's got a lot of good tid-bits on cupping.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
seedlings
And here is a very simple cupping form:

http://www.coffee...ngform.htm

CHAD
Unta
form looks good and easy, aside from the cultivar, bean size moisture content and grade, unless that info is listed somewhere. I'm sure Zephyr would have a good bit of it if asked.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
Unta
whole bunch of info here, most of the other chapters should list in the similar list while watching this one. http://il.youtube...SS_PapGqqw
Sean Harrington
educate.
randytsuch
another_jim posted this link at HB
http://qgrader.co...29343.html

Its a good writeup for all the details for formal cupping.
I think it may be too much for our informal comparision though?

I liked the form Chad found. I think we can skip the first two sections, and just fill out the last section.

Randy
JETROASTER
I agree. Any concensus on brew method? -Scott
Unta
Is it necessary to set a grams(ground coffee)/Grams or OZ water ratio for the group, or should we just go with what we usually use. I am generally very specific about using 12 grams of grounds per cup but my water add is done by volume typically i use a 12 oz glass so it ends up being about 8-9 oz, not really technically perfect , put i think its pretty close. Though i usually cup three samples per coffee which theoretically balances any inconsistencies..

what do you guys use for a ratio, im open to adjusting my system if any of the exprienced crowd might have a suggestion, John?CHAD..what do you guys think?
Sean Harrington
educate.
allenb

Unta wrote:
Is it necessary to set a grams(ground coffee)/Grams or OZ water ratio for the group, or should we just go with what we usually use. I am generally very specific about using 12 grams of grounds per cup but my water add is done by volume typically i use a 12 oz glass so it ends up being about 8-9 oz, not really technically perfect , put i think its pretty close. Though i usually cup three samples per coffee which theoretically balances any inconsistencies..

what do you guys use for a ratio, im open to adjusting my system if any of the exprienced crowd might have a suggestion, John?CHAD..what do you guys think?

Was there a consensus on a preferred brewing method after the last swap?

In regards to a ratio, if the decision is to use a standard method we should at least provide a suggested range of coffee to water.

Allen
Unta
I'm a bit confused about the "method" question. Is there more than one?
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
seedlings

Unta wrote:
Sean

It's a little bit of semantics, different ways to say the same thing, or different numbering systems to score. I like simple.

Although, I've learned recently that we're not really 'cupping'. 'Cupping' in the technical sense refers to very light roast, near the end of first crack, as they would in a Cup Of Excellence contest. We're doing more of a 'tasting'.

Someone put them all on a wall and throw a dart.

CHAD

*EDIT*
I completely missed what you were asking, Sean. Brewing: We (I) used 7 grams of coffee per 5 oz of near boiling water per http://coffeecupp...upping.htm

Edited by seedlings on 08/12/2010 7:40 PM
allenb

Unta wrote:
Sean

My question lacked clarity. What I meant to ask was, did it end up that each participant could brew or cup however they liked or restricted to the standard cupping format.

Allen
Unta
ahhh, i was under the assumption that we were restricted :)
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
seedlings
7 grams coffee per 5 ounces near boiling water.

CHAD
Unta
how do you go about measuring your 5 oz's?
Sean Harrington
educate.
seedlings

Unta wrote:
how do you go about measuring your 5 oz's?

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/135oz.jpg

CHAD
Jump to Forum: